• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    A swiss P210 is my grail gun, but I'd settle for any. Imy safe queens aren't that fancy but for me, I have to shoot them. I average 100-200 rounds a year through them. I do baby them though.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    WTH, I'll probably shoot it.

If you don't mind me asking, how much does something like that go for (no idea). My general practice is, if I can't shoot it, I don't want it in the first place.

That said, I have no idea how much that gun goes for, nor how much it would detract value. Has it been shot previously? If so, a few more rounds is not going to hurt.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've added something today. Local sale.
    Smith & Wesson model 745 IPSC 10th Anniversary .45 acp pistol in like new condition. It came with 4 mags. It's a target pistol with an adjustable trigger. Gen 2. The 5000 made the first year like this one has the 24k gold commemorative writing on the slide. What I know about it I'm reading in forums so it's as described in the forums. It's a beautiful gun, more ornate than the standard offerings.

View attachment 73938

attachment.php

I would love to shoot it but I'm trapped into having some that would cost me a couple hundred dollars in value if I booger it up. I think this is one for the museum. I do admire dogdg for getting out there and shooting what he has, and the pictures and reviews. Very impressive. Buy once, cry once, and put it in the safe.

1. Wow! I like! It does do something for me. I'm sure it wasn't in my price range (which has humorously doubled or tripled and occasionally quadrupled :laugh: , due to bad influences from people I consider friends here).
    2. I saw a great buy on Armlist for some .45 acp, and the thought of buying a .45 pistol to run it through for fun went through my mind: I need an intervention (according to the wife :lmfao:).
    3. Enjoy! I try to buy a gun not perfect so as to bring the price down (like the SW 5906/$400 that I think I'll always regret not buying).
    4. Notwithstanding, I can lose control over a "like-new" never-shot gun like the Ruger .357/9mm SAO SS/wood and buy it, but I will shoot it.
    5. I've been a collector of certain guns (in another lifetime and boring small ones), and other items, but I'm over it (although my collection of 1960s original Star Trek comics is a prize collection, but I'm going to sell them cheap now: $600, but when I get around to it in retirement, which I will sell for more at that time).

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    If you don't mind me asking, how much does something like that go for (no idea). My general practice is, if I can't shoot it, I don't want it in the first place.

That said, I have no idea how much that gun goes for, nor how much it would detract value. Has it been shot previously? If so, a few more rounds is not going to hurt.

5 years ago, $750. $600 if fired. I think $500 used. That was dated information on the S&W forum. And they're usually listed, bought and sold a little higher than value. I paid $800 but he wanted $850. $850 would have been a deal breaker but he probably left some room. I think I did ok on this one.

Last edited:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    5 years ago, $750. $600 if fired. I think $500 used. That was dated information on the S&W forum. And they're usually listed, bought and sold a little higher than value. I paid $800 but he wanted $850. $850 would have been a deal breaker but he probably left some room. I think I did ok on this one.

I would say so the 745's were obviously built to tighter tolerances like the tsw's.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    It feels very well built, in a different league. It was their introduction gun to a sport that was already going on for 10 years and dominated by Colt 1911's, and even advertised on the slide they're here to play.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Sidenote: I've actually been able to catch a couple "recent" (by my definition) movies - Baby Driver and CHIPS. They were both entertaining (in different genres... mostly), but both also seemed to feature 5906s in relatively important roles.

Just seemed like an odd choice, unless S&W is trying to market these more (again). Could be a total coincidence, too.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Sidenote: I've actually been able to catch a couple "recent" (by my definition) movies - Baby Driver and CHIPS. They were both entertaining (in different genres... mostly), but both also seemed to feature 5906s in relatively important roles.

Just seemed like an odd choice, unless S&W is trying to market these more (again). Could be a total coincidence, too.

I always call out the 3rd gen Smith's in movies to my wife.

Injess

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2019
    Columbus
    I’ve always liked the 3rd gen smiths but the 5906 I got seems to be ammo picky. It doesn’t like the Winchester white box ammo at all, I keep getting FTE malfunctions. After changing ammunition to armscor and wolf steel case, no more malfunctions.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Try changing your springs if you haven't already. The 3rd gens are known to chamber empty casings.

When I was teaching Illinois CCW classes I stressed that first a carry gun must be reliable. I used my 645, 4506 and my 4513TSW to feed empty brass and none of the three ever failed. Jim.

KWIndy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2019
    IN
    Just picked up a police trade 5903 yesterday. Went to the range today and put 250 rounds through, it ran flawlessly and was surprisingly accurate. Spent some time cleaning this afternoon, it cleaned up and looks pretty good. I have a straight grip, springs, and another mag on order.
    I got it at Marksman in Westfield, he has 4 or 5 more if someone is interested.

20190125_165429.jpg

Top Bottom