• ...and so much more!
  • 1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Hmm...I thought you'd be posting to tell me I missed a 3906 on the SW forum...Saw it too late...already sold.

Adjustable sights are so nice.

Are you going to do any finish work on the parts gun?

I usually look on GB for 3rd gens as the S&W forum is usually a bit higher especially since I think most live on the east and west coasts where they can't get 3rd gens imported anymore. In that case haven't seen any 3906's in about a week where the last one went for around 475 if I recall.

The front sight took a while as most were the shorter front sights whereas I needed the taller one. The prices were also all over the place ranging from 21 which is what I paid to 50. I had issues hitting paper even at 25yds which I think is more due to inconsistent 45 reloads I was making at the time as I was also having plenty of squibs. I got a new barrel off midway when they got a small shipment in like they do from time to time and had AllenM machine the barrel hood to match my slide. So I think with the combos I corrected I should be able to put rounds on paper and then work on my grouping.

As far as the finishing I will look at the frame and if needed will see if Shoot To Thrill Customs which is only 5 miles away from me and my new FFL would bead blast it back to its matte finish. The 915 slide looks pretty good. I think I will go in the garage in a bit to clean the oil off of it and get a better look at the shape of the finish. Right now it looks to be about 85-90%. I will leave it as is for now till I can find a complete 6906/3913 or 6904/3914 slide assembly for a reasonable price as I might sell the 915 top to recoup costs. I may end up keeping anyway and refinish it so I can swap with my 3913 if I wanted to. Either slide I do get will be refinished either by bead blasting if stainless or as close to the factory finish in Cerakote. I will also have the guts that are black refinished as well if possible. If I recall STT only charges around 40 for a slide and I may be able to get it done cheaper since I learned how to completely strip my 3rd gens down to bare slide and frame off the S&W forum.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    The last couple 3906 sold for about $600 (with their shipping). There was an Israel import that sold for $400ish? I think. I bought three guns, an upper and CGW parts this week and have medical bills rolling in so any 3rd gens are going to have to a good price and/or just a spectacular example.

Seems like we need some pics as you go trough this rebuild. Still would like to find a cosmetically trashed 4506 for a bronze cerakote job.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    The last couple 3906 sold for about $600 (with their shipping). There was an Israel import that sold for $400ish? I think. I bought three guns, an upper and CGW parts this week and have medical bills rolling in so any 3rd gens are going to have to a good price and/or just a spectacular example.

Seems like we need some pics as you go trough this rebuild. Still would like to find a cosmetically trashed 4506 for a bronze cerakote job.

Yeah I think finding a trashed 4506 will be next to impossible, though I have seen quite a few 645's for under 500. I'm also missing a slide stop as I went to organize the parts by where they go. The sear looks like its brand new and I did get a straight back grip. When I go out in the garage later i will get a generic pic of the parts I have and go from there.

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    I got my mags from Southern Ohio Gun, they're in decent shape. No LEO mags, just all plain jane 15 round mags. I moved on from the 4040PD I had seen online, just not willing to take the gamble on it. If I could see it in person, I might do it, but not a roll of the dice. Sooner or later, another 4040PD will come along.

I picked up another 10mm on gunbroker, we will see what kind of condition it's in when I get it... It looked rough, but I need a beater 10mm to shoot a bunch.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I got my mags from Southern Ohio Gun, they're in decent shape. No LEO mags, just all plain jane 15 round mags. I moved on from the 4040PD I had seen online, just not willing to take the gamble on it. If I could see it in person, I might do it, but not a roll of the dice. Sooner or later, another 4040PD will come along.

I picked up another 10mm on gunbroker, we will see what kind of condition it's in when I get it... It looked rough, but I need a beater 10mm to shoot a bunch.

23 out of the 24 mags I bought were 15rds. Only 4 were plain jane the rest said leo/ export only. The odd ball mag was a 10rd aftermarket which already has a $10 bid on ebay plus a $10 shipping cost. So win win in my book..

There will be more opportunities for your gem. I mean I was always finding 3906's for mcapo. Maybe if I start looking for you I seem to have better luck finding what is needed.

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    23 out of the 24 mags I bought were 15rds. Only 4 were plain jane the rest said leo/ export only. The odd ball mag was a 10rd aftermarket which already has a $10 bid on ebay plus a $10 shipping cost. So win win in my book..

There will be more opportunities for your gem. I mean I was always finding 3906's for mcapo. Maybe if I start looking for you I seem to have better luck finding what is needed.

Sometimes I just happen to find guns as well on gunbroker. Who knows, I'm not really looking for anything in particular, but now that I have so many 3rd gens, well, have to fill out the collection. The 1026 I won, has a few scratches on it, from the pictures. Worth sending back to S&W to get refinished, or something I could do at home?

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Sometimes I just happen to find guns as well on gunbroker. Who knows, I'm not really looking for anything in particular, but now that I have so many 3rd gens, well, have to fill out the collection. The 1026 I won, has a few scratches on it, from the pictures. Worth sending back to S&W to get refinished, or something I could do at home?

I read on the S&W forum you can use a green scotch brite pad and gently buff it back to a matte finish. I also read about people using bead blasting boxes to refinish as well.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Good luck...I've not seen anything short of bead blasting return it to "factory". The problem is replicating the the look of something striking the surface versus rubbing the surface.

If you come up with a workable method, please share it!

1775 - I really prefer the non-stepped framed. There has been a 4506 in the classy's but it is way more than I want to spend on a project gun. Just have something in mind...

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    I know that sending it back to S&W would be pricey, but it might be worth it if the finish looks better then. It's not a matter of rust or anything, just a few scratches. Maybe its just better to live with the thing.

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    Got the gang out for a picture tonight, since I had nothing going on.

TuDUh1P.jpg

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    I meant to do that, from left to right, top to bottom: 3953TSW, 909, 908, 3914DAO (NYPD type), 6946. 4006TSW CHP, 1076, 1086, 5906TSW, 411 and the 22A. The nice thing is, they're relatively affordable when it comes down to it, if you look around a bit.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I think I posted a recent family photo when I got my 909 and 457 but should repost once I get the Franken gun put together.

I think if the person doing the bead blasting knows what their doing it should turn out half way decent.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    There was someone on here in the Fort Wayne area doing some bead blasting a couple years ago? Was it Rusty Hornet??

You know I do recall a thread someone was asking. My frame will arrive today so if here before noon will go down otherwise will pick up tomorrow and ask them as well as price.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Got the frame today and it looks pretty good. A little spotting under the grips but all in all no major dings, scratches, or rubs. Most importantly though is no cracks. I am having Shoot To Thrill Customs in La Porte only 5 miles from the house bead blast it for good measure. He is only going to charge me 25 or 30 bucks and it will be ready to pick back up on Thursday. I did snag a few before photos before leaving the shop.

sRml2fv.jpg

haDlFsQ.jpg

Jkk06V7.jpg

pUVqh5e.jpg

WSRsBFo.jpg

I also inquired about the slide and if I strip it myself it would only be 80 if I get a black slide that would be refinished.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I'm half tempted to pick up a CS40 to convert to 10mm, talking about projects.

Lol..... I do have some $423 in gb sales coming soon so I put a bid on a s&w 33-1 made somewhere between 1961 and 1966. Will call tomorrow to get exact date especially if it's a c&r and would need to logged in my book if I won. Otherwise if I lose that I'll probably buy a cheap/possibly decent 6904 or 6906 and put the slide on my frame.

Top Bottom