Russia vs Ukraine anyone watching this ignite?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    It's the part about the officer killing himself over the maintenance issues that I'm not sure about.
    That's what I meant. I was inclined to believe that there was an issue with the tanks and vehicles and not so sure about the rest.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Unless he was the guy directly lying to Putin about their readiness.
    Yeah I get that the fear of facing Putin might make him kill himself.

But he also had the option of desertion, or even getting himself captured.

I heard Russian troops had been offered cash and Ukrainian citizenship if they left the military.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Maybe it's like Bob Hoskins as Nikita Krushchev in Enemy at the gates where he just says "Perhaps you prefer to avoid all the red tape."

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    No idea if it's true ... :dunno:

I find it more likely he knew his tanks were useless before now because he profited from the theft and resale of equipment. He likely killed himself because he would no longer be able to hide it, death was the likely reward for that, and his suicide would be less drawn out and painful as well as at least provide some chance his family would not be persecuted

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Having worked with WRM (war reserve materiel) three different times in my USAF Supply days, I have to think this provides the sharp contrast between the professional force (particularly in the Enlisted Corps) of the US Military and the corrupt worthless bags of excrement that make up the Rooskie military.

More to follow
    C'mon Kelly, admit it ... you're hoping for 'The Revenge of the Nerds Quartermaster Corps'

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    $1,167,322,000,000 That is the dollar amount of US Treasuries held JUST by the federal reserve that come to maturity in less than a year. $81,034,000,000 in the next 15 days. 5,759,149,000,000 is the amount of US treasuries the Fed currently holds. Fed document was an update as of 3/24/2022

None of the above numbers include things like overnight repo or collateral held for banks. It is the amount of US treasuries the Fed has purchased directly.

Here is a new Beta program being run by the US treasury called data lab(started in late 2017,but the site is actually much newer as the original one was shut/moved to the current late last year). I am just now starting to understand how to navigate it,but the links it has to monthly treasury statements and Bureau of economic analysis have some information that is not all that easy to find on their own sites.

Why I posted this in a thread about Ukraine. Simple. I want to point out the difference in 2 months.
    Most who understand the treasury market believe someone(Likely China) is dumping loads of treasuries onto the market. The problem is data as the US treasury publicly reports 2 months behind. Why would China want to dump 1.3 trillion in US treasuries it holds? Well Russia just lost the 300+ billion in US treasuries it held in the blink of an eye.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    C'mon Kelly, admit it ... you're hoping for 'The Revenge of the Nerds Quartermaster Corps'
    Supply Troops weren’t nerds. Now Manpower and Organization Analysts… we were nerds. Come to think of it, still am!!

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    In the video you posted he talks about how milleneals will save the USA from demographic decline until 2050 by being consumers. How is a milleneal buying an iphone from China going to help us economically? For that matter where does he get milleneals can replace those retired boomers?

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/05/mil...han-boomersdespite-being-better-educated.html
    They never have earned what boomers do. It is not even close. It was not until 2018 that the millenial population passed the boomer population for the first time and currently millenials only outnumber boomers by around 1 million or so(72.1 million millenials vs 71.6 million boomers in 2019).

The guy then goes on to talk about how much pain we are in for as the Fed tightens,and blows it off just as quickly as temporary. He mentions the 15% of GDP per year we have been adding to our deficit,and briefly touches on how long it has been a problem(mentions before even Obama debt was a problem)...then ignores it almost completely as he paints a picture of the USA being in much better shape than Europe or Japan through his rose colored glasses. 2022 will likely be the first year in history where our INTEREST payments on our national debt will be over 1 trillion,if they manage to kick the can(think longer term rates 10 year instead of say 1 year treasuries)then it still will happen just a little later. It of course will only get larger as the Fed rate increases. We are far from being in better shape than Europe or Japan.

4 major economies in the world are in great shape. They have a real surplus. They produce more than they consume in resources and goods. Just four. Denmark,Norway,China,and Russia. That is it,those are the only net exporters.

He mentions in the video the world needs producers and consumers. It does. It really does, but everyone seems to want to be a consumer(it started rolling during the Tudor era and the USA prosperity of the 1950s spread the image of how wonderful it was to whole new generations all over the planet). Now most dream of consuming.Not what can I make? What can I build? What can I grow/mine? No,the world(western) has turned into a people trying to live the Tudor life,without the base behind it(peasants to do the work). It is unsustainable.

If we continue the consumer path instead of the surplus path we will only continue to see the decline in our standard of living and before we know it the tudor dream will be gone and we will see a generation wake up to realize they are the peasants(they will not be happy about it).
    He also said - perhaps elsewhere - that both China and Russia are facing demographic catastrophes of their own. He claims the Russians have changed their education system such that they have a very small pool of people educated enough to run their society and their technology - and many of those capable of using advanced tech are leaving for Western nations. Said that the Russians, right now, aren't running their own petroleum extraction operations; those operations are being run by foreign contractors, and he also cited that those foreign companies are leaving or have left those operations.

China is facing a huge population crash among their working-age population - as is Russia - and it's estimated that by 2050, their population may be half what it is today. That also means that the production costs that make them so popular in the consumer market today are not going to be sustainable.

His thesis is that the world is going to be forced to transition out of a consumer-based economy and into something else; that in the near future there is going to be mass starvation in the Third World - because the major suppliers of fertilizer aren't able to supply them in the quantities needed - but the US, while we're going to be hurting as much as the rest of the world, has the capability to weather the crisis.

As far as the economics go, I don't know if he knows what he's talking about, but even if the dollar collapses, there's nothing of value in the world with which to replace it, so I imagine that the world's bankers will find a way to keep the dollar relevant, if only so they aren't impoverished themselves.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Well, the CNN article and Forbes seem to be in disagreement about the Stinger missile. This article from Forbes claims the Stinger is out of production. Also, it mentions the plant in Iowa that makes Javelin warheads and how it needs modernized and better security.

CNN wouldn’t be trying to protect the Biden administration by putting a positive spin on this would they?
    The stinger is odd. I don't think a US serviceman has ever needed to fire a Stinger manpad in anger, because of the effectiveness of our air assets.

I don't think the US has even fired a Patriot at anything other then ballistic missiles for that matter.

Yet both are very effective systems against aircraft. Stinger has been more something to give to insurgents then anything else.

Besides, we have Land-Based Phalanx Weapon System should anything wander too close.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    The stinger is odd. I don't think a US serviceman has ever needed to fire a Stinger manpad in anger, because of the effectiveness of our air assets.

I don't think the US has even fired a Patriot at anything other then ballistic missiles for that matter.

Yet both are very effective systems against aircraft. Stinger has been more something to give to insurgents then anything else.

Besides, we have Land-Based Phalanx Weapon System should anything wander too close.
    Man-portable systems are uniquely important, though, and that's why the US has invested so lavishly in developing and building them.

You can't ruck a Phalanx into the jungle and up a mountain. You can't carry an Abrams up the stairwell of an apartment building and pop it off from the roof. A dude in civilian clothing can't pop the trunk on his Lada, pull out an F35, and shoot down an enemy commander's transport helicopter.

We haven't had our air advantage neutralized for long enough to really make man-portable systems important, but that day WILL come. Nothing else on the battlefield allows one dude to take out armor and aircraft. It's not a weapons system for when times are good, it's a weapons system for when times are bad.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    He also said - perhaps elsewhere - that both China and Russia are facing demographic catastrophes of their own. He claims the Russians have changed their education system such that they have a very small pool of people educated enough to run their society and their technology - and many of those capable of using advanced tech are leaving for Western nations. Said that the Russians, right now, aren't running their own petroleum extraction operations; those operations are being run by foreign contractors, and he also cited that those foreign companies are leaving or have left those operations.

China is facing a huge population crash among their working-age population - as is Russia - and it's estimated that by 2050, their population may be half what it is today. That also means that the production costs that make them so popular in the consumer market today are not going to be sustainable.

His thesis is that the world is going to be forced to transition out of a consumer-based economy and into something else; that in the near future there is going to be mass starvation in the Third World - because the major suppliers of fertilizer aren't able to supply them in the quantities needed - but the US, while we're going to be hurting as much as the rest of the world, has the capability to weather the crisis.

As far as the economics go, I don't know if he knows what he's talking about, but even if the dollar collapses, there's nothing of value in the world with which to replace it, so I imagine that the world's bankers will find a way to keep the dollar relevant, if only so they aren't impoverished themselves.
    Here's hoping we can replace rampant consumerism with craftsmanship and building a fine, reliable product that is long lasting and/or upgradeable so you don't have to buy a new one every few years

I don't see how you can do that with electronics, though; unless the human scale parts are kept and the chipsets get swapped every so often

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Man-portable systems are uniquely important, though, and that's why the US has invested so lavishly in developing and building them.

You can't ruck a Phalanx into the jungle and up a mountain. You can't carry an Abrams up the stairwell of an apartment building and pop it off from the roof. A dude in civilian clothing can't pop the trunk on his Lada, pull out an F35, and shoot down an enemy commander's transport helicopter.

We haven't had our air advantage neutralized for long enough to really make man-portable systems important, but that day WILL come. Nothing else on the battlefield allows one dude to take out armor and aircraft. It's not a weapons system for when times are good, it's a weapons system for when times are bad.
    So bear with me. I know we've supplied the Ukrainians with a significant amount of Javelins and Stingers (not to mention other weapons), and they have relied various other anti-tank and anti-air missiles from various other nations, but this war is really demonstrating to me how obsolete (in a way) tanks, and even attack helicopters, are starting to become. Now I know counter to these types of weapons can be made/invented, and I'm not saying that heavy armor and attack aircraft are going anywhere, but I am saying that war is clearly shifting away from massive waves of armor.

Ukraine, and countries like them (smaller, with less ability spend on their military than the aggressive neighbors they borders with) should invest heavily in anti-tank and anti-air man portable systems, as well as unguided anti-armor weapons like LAWs, RPGs, etc., while also adopting a system similar to Israel and Switzerland and fairly lenient gun laws. Just a thought I wanted to share with everyone because I was definitely impressed with the effectiveness of these systems against armor columns.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom