Russia vs Ukraine anyone watching this ignite?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The original Twilight Zone was awesome about telling a story, with minimal cast and props.
    I don't know if any writers today can duplicate that.
    Probably the Twilight Zone episode that sticks in my mind the most from my childhood was the one where William Shatner was seeing the "monster" out on the wing of the airplane. I remember that one freaking me out as a kid. :):

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    FO9rpsIWYAQQLT1

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I didn’t need Putin or this war to know that land, food and gold are good investments.
    Land and food, most definitely. Gold? Not so much.

“At no time has gold been used as a medium of exchange of a crashed economy since the Roman Empire.” - Dave Ramsey

We ain't going back to a gold standard, and if the economy collapses to the point that the US dollar is worthless, ain't nobody going to trade their food stores and toilet paper for shiny trinkets. In that scenario, the best precious metals to have on hand are brass and lead.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Land and food, most definitely. Gold? Not so much.

“At no time has gold been used as a medium of exchange of a crashed economy since the Roman Empire.” - Dave Ramsey

We ain't going back to a gold standard, and if the economy collapses to the point that the US dollar is worthless, ain't nobody going to trade their food stores and toilet paper for shiny trinkets. In that scenario, the best precious metals to have on hand are brass and lead.
    Land is a little hard to take to the grocery store. Unless you count pocket lint as "land".

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Twilight Zone season 3 episode 3 (Shelter) had a good line in it.
    Neighbors freaking out because he won't (can't) fit everyone in.
    And he yelled at them that while they were having parties and spending all their money, he was saving and spending it on the shelter. And that they sat there and called him names for it, TILL THEY NEEDED IT.

line at 3:25

I remember that episode. One of my favorites to be honest.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Also, notice the lack of EastAsia representation on that list. Somehow, I doubt the Chinese are going to willingly let their own populace starve because that would be existential. The exclusive deals they have with African countries for raw materials would likely also come under pressure to provide food aid because Africa has NEVER been able to feed itself, but China will struggle to feed its own people

I don't think there is only one answer to the war game problem SmokingMan proposes. Just by creating a co-operative with Canada we could control between 1/4 and 1/3 of all wheat exports as well as refine their oil, as well as our own, into most finished petrochemical products that we need. If Trudeau seeks to get in the way, he can be killed. In fact, if you cut the rot out of the heart of our government, pretty much everybody in the WEF can be gotten to with a very few exceptions

The current moment of staring into the abyss will have unpredictable consequences throughout the west
    :yesway:

Concerning China, in terms of production, China is near or at the top. They just don’t export much compared to the other countries. They don’t import much either which implies that they are pretty much self sufficient.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Land is a little hard to take to the grocery store. Unless you count pocket lint as "land".
    You know everything in the grocery store comes from land, right? Until they figure out a better way, like with Soylent green.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    What would America do if we found a country training jihadis in the next country when we were in iraq?

Oh ya we don’t have to wonder, we know for certain.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    :yesway:

Concerning China, in terms of production, China is near or at the top. They just don’t export much compared to the other countries. They don’t import much either which implies that they are pretty much self sufficient.
    China consumes a bit over 140 million metric tonnes of wheat (2021) and just over 7.3% of that is imported

Wheat Imports into China

Below are the top suppliers from which mainland China imported the highest dollar value worth of wheat during 2020. Within parenthesis is the percentage change in value for each supplying country from 2019 to 2020.

Canada: US$654.8 million (up 32.4% from 2019)
    France: $628.8 million (up 382.6%)
    United States: $464.4 million (up 589.2%)
    Australia: $359.6 million (up 557.6%)
    Lithuania: $92.3 million (up 68.4%)
    Kazakhstan: $48.1 million (down -46.6%)
    Russia: $12.3 million (up 35.9%)
    Hungary: $66,000 (2019 data unavailable)
    By value, the listed countries shipped 100% of wheat imported by mainland China in 2020.

Not a huge percentage but not insignificant, either; and it is a global market

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI

If the grocery stores are still operational, so is the US dollar.

While your statement about the US food system and its reliance on the Dollar is likely, Venezuelans have been using gold for the last few years (unofficially) to combat their crashing currency. As inflation rates shot to the moon, merchants aren't willing to accept their currency for payment due to its loss in value.

Our inflation woes aren't quite that high (yet), but we've still got a kommittee running the show for a few more months at least.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Well, the CNN article and Forbes seem to be in disagreement about the Stinger missile. This article from Forbes claims the Stinger is out of production. Also, it mentions the plant in Iowa that makes Javelin warheads and how it needs modernized and better security.

CNN wouldn’t be trying to protect the Biden administration by putting a positive spin on this would they?

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom