Russia vs Ukraine anyone watching this ignite?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I wonder what sort of affect a javelin would have on a ships top deck? How that metal compares to the top of a tank.
    There is video elsewhere, I think in this thread, of what appear to be javelins being used against a Russian patrol boat. Took two shots to get one effective hit but it had to be towed away

I think the weak link in that theory would be how close the shooter would have to get to be able to hit that target. I would expect it to be something with longer range than a javelin. Don't know what, though. MANPAD has a longer range but takes A LOT of heat to achieve target lock

Something wire guided would be perfect but they mostly have even less range than a javelin

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    There is video elsewhere, I think in this thread, of what appear to be javelins being used against a Russian patrol boat. Took two shots to get one effective hit but it had to be towed away

I think the weak link in that theory would be how close the shooter would have to get to be able to hit that target. I would expect it to be something with longer range than a javelin. Don't know what, though. MANPAD has a longer range but takes A LOT of heat to achieve target lock

Something wire guided would be perfect but they mostly have even less range than a javelin
    Unfortunately wire guided can't really be used on watercraft due to water. Ya have to have perfect elevation for it. And manpads the missile drops too much when launched before flight motor kicks into be used for anything but aircraft. Those are us standards but maybe they figured a different way.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Yeah, it looks like it was something that was fire and forget with a range of at least 5 to 6 miles and a pretty substantial warhead based on the visibility of the initial explosion. I can't readily think of anything that fits the bill and is precision/one shot one kill like this seems to be. Could still be sabotage with an IED on the fuel tanks and the ship was refueling and got caught up in it IMO

Anything I'm familiar with in our inventory with that range and level of precision is air launched, and I doubt that area could be readily infiltrated via sea or air (unless those Turkish drones are stealthy?)

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Im not sure with what with. Rumor is it was some sort of missile..

But Ukraine got a Russian Navy landing ship in Berdyansk. The landing ship Orsk, an Alligator-class landing ship.

This is a pretty BIG loss for the Russians

But they missed the other 2 ships

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Just learned that SWMBO's maiden name means "nightingale" in Ukrainian.
    "In Ukrainian folklore, the nightingale is a symbol of volition, high inspiration and unsurpassed talent. This bird is often mentioned in Ukrainian songs and poems as a harbinger of spring."
    Her grandfather was from Pinsk, just across the Belarusian border from Ukraine.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Did Biden not go to Belgium?
    Has he been there before? If they'll show a canned photo of him departing, why not canned photos of him arriving and meeting with officials?

That way he can have someone around to change his diapers and have all the ice cream he wants and just claim he went

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Many news outlets are reporting that Ukraine is going on a counter offensive, the attack on the ships just part of it.

I could have never imagined that Russia could be loosing this badly.
    Still waiting for Ukraine to gamble a few of their planes on a Doolittle and hit something deep inside Russia.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom