• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    There has been lots of talk and debate about whether we, as gun carriers, would, or could, or should, run toward the sound of gunfire. It's a very personal debate, and one that I think of often.

As we know, reality is often not what Hollywood would have us believe. In movies we see hordes of people fleeing as "bad guys" fire off rounds in public places.

So imagine the strange feeling in my gut when I watched this video taken during the recent mall shooting in Africa. I wasn't focused on the political issues of the shooting, the gunmen, or their equipment. What struck me as strange was the sound of distant indoor gunfire, and the mixed reactions of the people who were hearing it. Neither fit my preconceived notions of what they should look and sound like.

[video=youtube;Z3oF3t4QNc4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3oF3t4QNc4[/video]

Now having watched the video, that question comes creeping back in the back of my mind-- Would I?

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    In this case if you ran toward the gun fire, you'd quickly realize that you were outnumbered 10 to 1, so running or hiding is the only viable option. And depending what exit you chose, you could encounter more of them outside.

You know, there was actually one lady who crawled out the HVAC ducts. I thought that **** only happened in movies!

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Well, if I said yes, then I am a chest thumping moron to a lot of people.
    If I said no, then the thought of people being killed arbitrarily enrages me.

Armchair quarterbacking aside, I would not know unless I was actually there. That's the only way one can really know. We can armchair it all day long, but it comes down to: We don't know.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is something you'd not see coming but my guess is that it's now alQuida's model to be tweeked and used on their next target. Allthe active shooter scenarios I have been involved in used a single gunman in a mall, not multiple with AKs. That truly is a nightmare scenario for area LEOs and EMS. Whats more is I can say few of the officers (ones I know) are prepared to meet light resistance which this clearly is not.

Even with several law abiding citizens carrying handguns placed in different areas they would be no match for a loosely organized group with battle riffles and light armor. Horrific indeed the outcome would be.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    If I was there with my family, getting them to safety is priority 1 BY FAR!!! If I am alone, I will be running to the gunfire while communicating with dispatch. I will NOT run away from that. I'm not on a suicide mission either but if I am there and armed, seconds count. If not me, then who?

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I would like to think i would run towards the gunfire but sittin in my chair is different than getting shot at. I have ran in the direction of danger before but there was no gunfire just fists, hammers, wrenches, headlocks, and stuff like that, no guns

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I'll be trampling people to get out of there. Then again, that is how I feel after 20 minutes of being in a mall anyway...find the nearest exit and leave as quickly as possible.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I have before. I could not live with myself if someone died from my inaction.
    Diddo.

Not the first time lives have depended on me. May not be the last. I'm willing, capable, and enabled. My lack of action could result in additional lives lost. Personally, I cannot live with that. I may not wear a uniform any longer, but that means nothing more than a name on a paycheck.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Definitely agree with OP on the sound and the reaction of the people.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    The variables that could influence a persons decision are endless, but I think mine hinge on 2.
    1) Family or loved ones with me, I cover the rear as we retreat as far into the "employee only" parts of the mall which usually leads to an exterior door.
    2) By myself, I don't know if I would advance, but I would most likely take up an ambush position and take out at least a couple. With any luck, I would be able to recover one or more of the BG's long guns and ammo and be able to snipe as many as possible before it ended for me.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    9mm pistol on person. Multiple AK-47's and grenades on the other side.

Time for a strategic advance to the rear for bigger ordnance.

There are no old, bold gunfighters.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I thought this was the land of the free and home of the brave. I would take up a defensive position and wait for one or two of them to show up in my field of fire. I was once a soldier and it will always be in me.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    In a situation where there's apparent coordination with multiple suspects with long guns, and especially if I hear grenades, I'm out. I can do more good organizing an evac and going back to the car and getting a long gun and armor than I can dying in place. I'd be pretty foolhardy to go in out-numbered, out-equipped, and out-gunned.

These guys aren't some mentally ill slackjaw off his meds with mommy's AR and an idea that the assistant manager at Wetzel's Pretzels stole their sole. These are guys with at least some level of small unit tactics training who are well equipped and realize they are on a suicide mission. You need to adjust tactics accordingly.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    We can all say that we would hope that we would be the one to run toward the gunfire but just to pose another side of this. What about your obligation to try and secure your own survival for the sake of your family that may depend on you surviving?

Just to be clear, I am not saying that you should intentionally sacrifice someone else that is trying to survive the attack as well or hide behind women and children like a coward just to secure your own survival. ( So there's no need to go there)

This question is strictly based on an average Joe with a family and not a LEO or military type response scenario.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I thought this was the land of the free and home of the brave. I would take up a defensive position and wait for one or two of them to show up in my field of fire. I was once a soldier and it will always be in me.
    Ditto. It wouldn't be practical to counter attack but fighting a rear guard action from ambush, to cover others getting out, is doable. I recall a rule-of-thumb that you need 3:1 numerical superiority for a successful attack--and that's with the enemy NOT being entrenched. In a MOUT situation that number might be 6:1 or 9:1. It was interesting seeing some presumably unarmed people waiting around and trying to assess the situation.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Use of brain in this situation. Family first. Then see what can or should be done.

I know what I/we would do but every situation is different. To not stop something if I could would be un-thinkable.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Gunfire is so common where I live I just listen to see if the bullet flies by. Then react. Because if I don't hear it I figure I'm either safe or dead! Thinking seriously about acquiring some body armor.

Top Bottom