• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Alright, let me start off by saying that I know there is going to be some flak from this. Okay, a lot of flak, but I really have (read: want) to say it. Rugers are ugly. They're fine firearms, they function flawlessly, and they feel decent in the hand, but they're damned ugly. Granted, they're built like Sherman tanks, but they're not quite as pretty.

The single actions are fine, except for the flattened rear of the trigger-guard that used to smash the middle finger, and I really must say that the stainless Blackhawk Hunter Bisley truly is a good-looking firearm. Really though, that's it.

The automatics? God, they look awful. They shoot great, but damnit can't they do something for the appearance of the thing? Ergonomics are fine, reliability is superb, but most other automatics pull off the same with aplomb. Glocks have always been kind of cool and streamlined. Sigs are really tough, and H&Ks just look like they mean business. Even the Springfield XD, an extremely un-attractive weapon, looks like a peach next to a Ruger. Honestly, I once used a P-89 to scotch the wheels of my car when I parked it on a hill.

How about the revolvers? I have a Redhawk, and it is a decent-looking, plain-jane thumper, even if it does look like a Model 29 on Prednisone, but the old Speed and Security Sixes? No, no, no! Great shooting guns, and of course, form follows function, but Hell, Smith pulls it off beautifully. Colt's aren't as pretty as Smiths (now that should stir the pot), but they are a damn sight nicer than Ruger. What happened to the LCR? It looks like a multi-head socket tool out of Sharper Image. The Super Redhawk is a firearm I really liked in the Target Gray with the wood inlay, but it still looks like I should grip it by the barrel and use it to hammer down the tent spikes.

I know, I know, how dare I? Eh, I've dared worse, but in this case, I think I'm saying what we're all thinking. Come on now, when was the last time you said "man, that P-94 is one good-looking firearm, much more attractive than my Mil-Spec 1911."

Yeah, I didn't think so...

Last edited:

johncarbaugh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Logansport
    when was the last time you said "man, that P-94 is one good-looking firearm, much more attractive than my Mil-Spec 1911."

Yeah, I didn't think so...

P94 is my first and only hand gun. I think it is one good-looking firearm.:p
    I have put about 500 rounds through it with no issues and that looks good in my book.

To each his own.

blackberry593.jpg

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    P94 is my first and only hand gun. I think it is one good-looking firearm.:p
    I have put about 500 rounds through it with no issues and that looks good in my book.

To each his own.

Alright, brother, I guess your P-94 is alright, but don't those grips kind of look like it's wearing high-waters?

Keep in mind, I own Rugers...read closely.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    We clearly have different taste in esthetics LOL.

I think the Ruger semi-autos are good looking and distinctive guns, also think the XD is a good looking gun, and find Glocks to be fugly. HKs look ok, Sigs look like guns but generally not gorgeous to me. I also think Ruger revolvers are much better looking than Smiths, though nothing can hold a candle to a Colt Python or Diamondback.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    They could be worst to look at, like say a "HIGH POINT". I personally have just started getting into the handgun world and think that most of them are an aquired taste. there has been several that i have not liked the look of untill i had the chance to mess around with then a bit, then the grew on me. I will state for the record though, 1911's are the best looking handguns hands down in my opinion.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'm not a big fan of the way the centerfire Ruger semi-autos look...save for the new SR series. I think the compact looks funny, but the FS is OK.

The P-series autos... I agree with the OP. They truly are examples of form following function. Effective and well-made, absolutely. Not all that attractive.

Their long-guns, however, are a different story. Ever look over a Ruger No. 1? What a dream it'd be to have a Ruger No. 1 in EVERY chambering that they've ever made. THAT would be a nice collection.

If I wanted only attractive firearms, I'd not be able to afford very many. I tend to look for "works well and I can tolerate the looks".

-J-

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    First let me say Beretta Neos...shoot great but look as if it fell off the screen of star wars. I have some Rugers, and though I don't think they are the best looking guns around, many of the semi autos look like variations of the same gun. As for the revolvers let me say GP100, SP101 just as pleasant to the eye as a S&W 686, especially with a Hogue grip.

G-Niner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    I completely agree with the OP. I have always thought the same thing but would never say it aloud (have buddies that would probably beat knots on my head). I do have some OM single actions and a Bisley or two and they are OK, it's just the DA revolvers and autos that are so ugly they make want to puke. By comparison their autos make my Glocks look as sleek as a Ferrari. I also agree that Smiths are better looking than the Colt DA's. The Python finish is nice however.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    The M77s are fine weapons, even if they did sort of petri dish up the Model 70 and 700-series to come up with a name, and the Ruger Model 1 is a wonderful rifle. The wife and I fired an SR-22 this weekend, magnificent gun. The Red Label is fine too, but the handguns? Come on, aesthetically it's like they're not even trying. The Stainless Hunter Bisley is the exception that proves the rule, but, here's a riddle for the pharaohs, why has it not been released in .454 Casull or even the lame duck .480 Ruger?

Ruger makes great functioning guns, I bet they'd also make excellent handles for power drills. Such ugly guns would make an excellent platform for the hand held power tool market.

G-Niner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Yeah, the M77 and No1's are fine, I wasn't thinking about rifles. I actually took my first mule deer with a 77 in 7X57 some years back. I still have that fine rifle and it still shoots into an inch or better. It's an older one with the tang safety. I also have a No1 in .375 H&H that is a fine shooting rifle, anything from cast bullets at 1200 fps to full power shoulder crunchers. Accurate too. See, I'm not dissing Ruger, just a few of their lines. Like that old saying goes, "ugly is in the eye of the beholder".

ewoodworth1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    ne indianapolis
    what about the sr9 and sr40, i think those may be the 2 best looking polymer pistols on the market. kinda reminds me of a 1911 just a lil bit. if everyone had shot one of these puppies, glock and springfield would be out of business

Top Bottom