• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    I am not going to be ablt to get away. Everyone but me is gone tomorrow so I have to milk and take care of the animals. Oh we'll maybe next time.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    If my tenants and locksmith cooperate I will also be in the morgan monroe tomorrow. If I see you guys I will say howdy. I won't be near any labeled trails, but will keep my eyes open coming in and out.

It should be a nice day to be in the woods.

indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    Time for some sweet dreams tonight before a little hell in the morning. I can't wait. I feel like a kid again. My pack weighs in right at 25 lbs. that's with canteen and camel back both full. Hell, 8 weeks ago I weighed 21 lbs. more so I will really be packing only 4 more lbs. than what I am use to. This is going to be fun.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Heading out to Ruckworks. I pray we have a safe day, full of learned skills, exercise and friendship. I'll see you guys out there!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    2013 Ruck-Sucks - I did it!

Yeah, this was definitely no walk in the park! We rucked 10 miles at an average of three miles per hour. We stopped several times for classes to include: 1) preparing food and water (setting snares and traps); 2) preparing shelter; 3) starting a fire; 4) first aid (for self and buddy); and 5) equipment and prep (you don't need much! :D ). My body is in pain right now and I'm sure it will take a couple of days to work out the kinks.

I want to thank WETSU for putting on a great class and allowing us to have this experience. Also, thanks go out to Glock, indychad and Mark S., for participating and making the "suck" more enjoyable.

I asked WETSU to put on this class because I believe it's important to be in relatively good shape and have knowledge and training beyond the various handgun and rifle courses. It doesn't matter how good you can shoot if you can't walk or run without falling out, but that's just my opinion and I don't mean that to sound insulting. I'm hoping to do this again in the fall and include an overnight. We'll see how many are interested.

I planned to get some good videos, but of course my video recorder chose to not allow that to happen! Here are some pictures of our travels.

DSC_0257-1_zps53d45dc6.jpg

CSC_0256_zps916d758a.jpg

DSC_0239-1_zps0885a58f.jpg

DSC_0229-1_zps4661fa29.jpg

DSC_0226-1_zps68cdde29.jpg

DSC_0205-1_zps82ba9198.jpg

DSC_0175_zps1426daf0.jpg

DSC_0165-1_zps28883e6a.jpg

CSC_0149_zpsbb9dd9e5.jpg

DSC_0146-1_zpsdc4295b2.jpg

DSC_0121_zpsd8320026.jpg

DSC_0118_zpsc7715fee.jpg

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Ok, who carries a giant rat trap?

WETSU carried one to trap critters. The photo above that is a lesson about setting a snare, which is illegal in Indiana, but you may be starving in another state. You never know what you may have to eat if in a tight.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    WETSU carried one to trap critters. The photo above that is a lesson about setting a snare, which is illegal in Indiana, but you may be starving in another state. You never know what you may have to eat if in a tight.

I figured that...he talked a bit about snares at the survival class I went to. I don't think that eating a mouse or most other critters would bug me to much. Now, slugs or something along those lines is a completely different matter. There would need to be some sweet baby ray's involved on that one.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    + 1 for the rat trap snares. I have kept them in my gear for a couple years just in case. This trip idea is one of the best training classes ever seen on here I think. Too bad I couldn't make it.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Glad you guys had a productive time! Very cool of WETSU to make the drive down to offer this!

Did the format work such that you guys will offer it again in the future?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Glad you guys had a productive time! Very cool of WETSU to make the drive down to offer this!

Did the format work such that you guys will offer it again in the future?

If there is enough interest, I certainly hope to to do the Ruck-Suck March again next year. I will be getting with WETSU about doing a class this fall that involves rucking, but more focus on putting the lessons learned into practice during an overnight.

indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    Applying the lessons learned and expanding on them either in theory around a campfire or in application during an overnighter would be on my list of to do's. The Ruck-Suck was a good time. Everyone held there own during the "challageing" day. After a night and half a day of heat and ice, my knee is still tender. Oh how good the Suck feels! Looking forward to the overnight Ruck. I hope this time it rains. Thanks to everyone involved in the 2013 Ruck-Suck.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Applying the lessons learned and expanding on them either in theory around a campfire or in application during an overnighter would be on my list of to do's. The Ruck-Suck was a good time. Everyone held there own during the "challageing" day. After a night and half a day of heat and ice, my knee is still tender. Oh how good the Suck feels! Looking forward to the overnight Ruck. I hope this time it rains. Thanks to everyone involved in the 2013 Ruck-Suck.

Chad, I hope the knees get better.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Besides jealousy, two other things come to mind. First of all YES, I am interested in the next time you guys do one of these. Whether it's this fall or next spring, I'd love to go. Secondly, Que what do you have in that ruck and how much does it weigh? I saw this picture and was trying to figure out what you've got setup there.

CSC_0256_zps916d758a.jpg

[/QUOTE]

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Teddy, Que had a bunch of stuff in there, and some stuff missing as well, But I'll let him debrief you.

Guys, this was a great class. It was a test of the man as well as the gear and some skill building. 10 miles in a day is no big deal, or it shouldn't be unless you have an injury. Its not easy, but you should be able to cover 10 miles in about 5 hours and drop your ruck at your destination and FIGHT. Then get up the next day and do it all over again.

I know Que was being polite, but I will not be (why start now?). If you can't do this because porkrinds, beer, TV, internet and Xbox are more important, then you have your priorities screwed up as a "survivor" period. I do not want to hear your BS excuses about job, family, money, injuries etc etc. Because I know some really busy dudes with more kids, *****y wives, no money and missing body parts who train and ruck and stay in incredible shape all year long.

This class is an acid test. Lots of guys could do it. But at the end, only you can do the calculations. Why did that suck so bad? Where is my level of fitness? Why was my pack so heavy? What can be taken out? If I carry more in my head, can I carry less on my back? Did I drink enough, did I eat enough? Did my feet hold up? And, could I drop my ruck and fight EFFECTIVELY after 10 miles?

Well done men. Yes, lets do a fall overnighter. You have this summer, 4 months to pull it together. Hope to see at least a full squad fall in on this next one!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Besides jealousy, two other things come to mind. First of all YES, I am interested in the next time you guys do one of these. Whether it's this fall or next spring, I'd love to go. Secondly, Que what do you have in that ruck and how much does it weigh? I saw this picture and was trying to figure out what you've got setup there.

CSC_0256_zps916d758a.jpg

Part of my test was to NOT prepare for this class. I wanted to give myself two hours to get ready to go. Some of the lessons learned were that I had no idea where anything was located in my house. I didn't know what to take for myself and was concentrating on the wrong thing while packing; I was more concerned with comfort than survival and adaptation.

Things that were missing from my pack:
    - something to start fire
    - shelter half or tarp
    - medical supplies
    - tomahawk, hatchet or Junglass

I now know that I need to really think about the possibility that I may have to get out of my house really quickly and survive without the comforts of life. Also, I may be able to stay at home, but not have heat, electricity, etc. Yes, I know the chances are slim this will ever happen, but that's probably what they said in New Orleans and more recently in New York and New Jersey.

Another part of my personal test was, as a soldier I was required to carry a ruck that weighted a minimum of 35 pounds. This was to help prevent static line injuries when exiting an aircraft during an airborne operation. We would jump, hump 12 miles, set up, fight and then improve our positions. We were given three hours to ruck 12 miles and I wanted to see if I could perform anywhere near that standard. I carried 35 pounds and my feet held up. I thought I had a blister, but it was only a hop spot. My legs and shoulders are still sore, but I'll still be going to the gym later today.

Overall, I give myself an "F" for preparation and a B+ for not giving up and staying in the fight until the end. I will improve from the lessons learned in this class and will perform much better next time.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Que, an idea that may help you, if you don't keep a bug out bag put together all the time, is to keep your stuff in tubs, clearly marked, and inside those tubs, ziplock freezer bags (that you can see in) with each subgroup in those. So, fire stuff in one, medical stuff in another, headlamp/flashlight/batteries in another, stable trail food in one, tools in another (multitool, knife, 550 cord, compass, whistle, fishing kit, water tablets) and personal hygiene in another (TP, toothbrush, paste, wipes, foot powder etc).

Then, inside, you also keep a sleeping bag, tarp section, ground pad, hat/gloves/socks, in a ziplock.

That way, if you have just 30 minutes to grab everything, you just open the tub, stuff everything in your ruck, fill your camelbak and water bottles, double check your gear and go!

Top Bottom