• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I use to max my APFT, but hated pack marches. Not real good when you are in the light Infantry. 7thID(light) Fortunately I spent most of my time in HQ company being on the 81mm.

For people who have gear and BOB's packed, if you have never actually attempted a bug out, you might be in for a rude awakening. This sounds like a great test of man(woman) and your method/equipment.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    When I first thought about this type of event, it was mostly from a fitness perspective. I wanted to get with a groups of guys/gals and ruck because it's great exercise. Having a resource like WETSU, I thought, why not take it to the next level? Now, I'm seeing other possibilities, but for the first one, I would just like to see people come out with their BOBs or event just a camping pack with 25-40 pounds in it. Honestly, if anyone just wanted to come out and just hump their water and food, that is fine, too. Like WETSU said, this isn't a test to see who is the best or anything, but just an opportunity for personal testing, learning and exercise. Most of all, we want to have fun!

In preparation, I will be doing some four-mile marches from my house to Bradis and back home. I will be humping an AK, so I hope drivers on SR 67 will not crash into each other trying to get away from the scary rifle. :laugh:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm using 50 pounds for weekly training and plan to carry 25-30 pounds on May 4th.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Alright guys, we are going with Monroe State Forest for this class. So, if anyone else is interested, this guaranteed to be a great learning experience.

indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    Let me know where we are going so I can locate a map of the area. Will probably come in handy. Training with WESTU tommorow so that I make sure my BOB is squared away right. I'm looking forward to both classes.

Last edited:

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Wow, this will be an awesome class for everyone! I had the privilege to take Wetsu's outdoor survival class and am sure this will be a great learning experience. Good luck to everyone!

Glock

Marksman
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    I've been hiking almost every weekend for the last couple of months working up to this class. We did 7 miles today and I had my 65 pound pack on. It was rough.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I just had the privelage of attending WETSU's one day survival class for the second time and I'm going to be checking with Mrs Teddy12b on this. I know there's a lot I need to brush up on and I know I could use the exercise, so pending approval from the warden I'll be in attendance.

What kind of time frame are we talking about on this? I'd need some kind of approximate start/stop times. The reason why I ask is because I've got little kids so I'd be getting up early and driving there that morning and driving home that night. I can sell the wife on me getting up early and leaving, but telling her I won't be home till midnight gets me in some hot water.

Another question, and this will probably be a dumb one, but since it's at Monroe State Forest I'm assuming this will be a CC only class. I'm assuming this will also be a rain or shine class. It's been a few years since I've done a real ruck march and not just hiked. I'm up for anything either way.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I just had the privelage of attending WETSU's one day survival class for the second time and I'm going to be checking with Mrs Teddy12b on this. I know there's a lot I need to brush up on and I know I could use the exercise, so pending approval from the warden I'll be in attendance.

What kind of time frame are we talking about on this? I'd need some kind of approximate start/stop times. The reason why I ask is because I've got little kids so I'd be getting up early and driving there that morning and driving home that night. I can sell the wife on me getting up early and leaving, but telling her I won't be home till midnight gets me in some hot water.

Another question, and this will probably be a dumb one, but since it's at Monroe State Forest I'm assuming this will be a CC only class. I'm assuming this will also be a rain or shine class. It's been a few years since I've done a real ruck march and not just hiked. I'm up for anything either way.

Teddy, I suspect we will kick this off around 8AM and conclude shortly after, let's say 3:00 PM. I will work with WETSU to put a schedulue together, but this is a new idea and things may not go exactly according to plan. Yes, we will go rain or shine. You can CC or OC if you want, but we will not be shooting, so you can probably leave the long gun at home, unless you want to haul it for practice.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Teddy, I suspect we will kick this off around 8AM and conclude shortly after, let's say 3:00 PM. I will work with WETSU to put a schedulue together, but this is a new idea and things may not go exactly according to plan. Yes, we will go rain or shine. You can CC or OC if you want, but we will not be shooting, so you can probably leave the long gun at home, unless you want to haul it for practice.

That sounds great to me. If it's a 8-3 timeframe then I'm likely going to be able to attend. The only thing that could get me hung up now would be a baby shower my wife is throwing where I'd have to watch the kids that day. I'll let you guys know when I find out if I'm 100% in or out.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Untitled.jpg

Guys, this class is all about mindset. My survival classes are already mindset driven, but this one will be more than others.

This one seperates the men from the boys, pure and simple. There are those who say they will rise to the occasion, when the SHTF and the chips are down. But they won't. I have seen it. Its sad, when a man sees what his self deception has lead to. Defeat. Pain. Loss.

If you quit when things are easy, and nothing is on the line, what will you do when it is BAD, like terrifiying, chaotic, miserable and difficult? You will quit, and die.

Those of you who know me, know that I can be an arrogant pr**k. I am part coach, part drill instructor and part cheerleader. I want people to get outside of their comfort zone, out of the Lazy boy and away from the buffet line and TV. I want them to push themselves, to grow and to prove to themselves that they can do it if they had to.

This day of training will do that.

You will learn hard survival skills, but you will learn even more about yourself. Forever.

Top Bottom