• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andrewjames124

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    I'm going to be carrying a Springfield XD9 subcompact soon and I want to know what other people that carry guns that don't have a thumb safety think: Round in the chamber when carrying, or just in the magazine? I know it would be best in a self defense situation to have one in the chamber, but how does safety when not in a defensive situation play into that?

cak387

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    Kokomo
    Carry with what you are comfortable with but most will tell you one in the chamber. If you are worried about a ND, you need to practice drawing it out of the holster and proper trigger finger placement.

I carry my XDm 40 always with one in the chamber and the safety is one less thing you have to worry about when you may need your weapon.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Would you carry a revolver all the way loaded? I think you would. So why not one in your xd? Without one in the pipe you are just carrying an empty gun. You think you will have enough time to chamber one when you need it? Better think again. Always carry loaded and ready to go.

NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    Pretty much imo your question is like Ford vs Chevy, Hammer vs striker fired.

For me, I would NOT have one in the chamber unless I was ready to fire. The firearm is ready to fire therefore less trigger pull and less force to fire.

If you are in a SHTF situation etc, you can be racking the slide as you are pulling the firearm up to aim.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Carry how you are comfortable. I started out without one in the pipe, but as I began to trust myself and my holster more I switched to being chambered (I carry a Glock btw).

-MColford

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    No one on this forum or in this universe can predict every given scenario.

In moments notice, every millisecond counts - I personally chamber one at all times.
    If you've had enough extensive training to rack your slide as you pull it out of your holster,
    That's fine - Do what's comfortable for YOU.

But understand the moment you ever have to use it is likely going to be on the move,
    ducking, turning, dropping to the ground and full of adrenaline....

Not standing next to a post preparing yourself to shoot down range.

It'll happen faster than you could imagine. That extra second or two you use to rack your slide could
    be the very deal-breaker on whether or not you successfully walk away from that situation or are carried away.

Again, do what's comfortable for you. Just think about it.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    My SIG P228 is carried with a chambered round. I understand that the mechanisms between this and your Springer are different, but the P228 also does not have a thumb safety.

Only you can determine the method you are comfortable with, but there are some startling videos out there (and posted on this forum periodically) that call into question the practice of leaving the round unchambered with the assumption you will be able to successfully chamber the round before bringing the pistol into action when needed.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I carry 12+1 in what is essentially a 1911. Wiping the safety is a lot less than racking the slide. Be as ready as you're comfortable with.

2008blackwrx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2011
    No one on this forum or in this universe can predict every given scenario.

In moments notice, every millisecond counts - I personally chamber one at all times.
    If you've had enough extensive training to rack your slide as you pull it out of your holster,
    That's fine - Do what's comfortable for YOU.

But understand the moment you ever have to use it is likely going to be on the move,
    ducking, turning, dropping to the ground and full of adrenaline....

Not standing next to a post preparing yourself to shoot down range.

It'll happen faster than you could imagine. That extra second or two you use to rack your slide could
    be the very deal-breaker on whether or not you successfully walk away from that situation or are carried away.

Again, do what's comfortable for you. Just think about it.

HELLO MR LEE!!! long time no see

I carry an XDM 9, and would suggest that you do what was stated above. Practice drawing your weapon unloaded and just get immune to not putting your finger near the trigger. Another thing, have you carried before? If not then i would carry without one in the chamber for a while so that you you get comfortable with just carrying.

Tango

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Every defensive pistol class I've ever attended suggests one in the chamber. That could be the difference between life and death in a defensive situation. You'll get comfortable carrying like that with some time, especially with an XD having a redundant safety mechanism.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Anyone who wants to carry their firearm in a un-chambered condition needs to run through the 21 foot rule.

Start with an unloaded weapon with a empty mag.

Have multiple people walk crossing or at you from 21 foot away, then one person not determined by you is to rush you.

See if you can un-holster, draw and rack the slide, even if you are, your attacker is still within distance to cause life threatening harm..

Now if you really can do this, cut that reaction time in half because your prepared for it to happen @ that time, in the real world you will not be fully prepared 24/7/365 for this to happen and you'll become fodder for the end of a steak knife.

Even though my Taurus 809 has a safety, it is carried in the off position, I'm not messing with a safety if trouble arises. The safety is used when it's withdrawn from the holster in a non threatening situation.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I carry that same gun with one in the chamber. It's for what IndyBeerman said. It takes over a full second to draw and be ready to fire. That's a LONG time for someone who is already close enough to git ya.

I have felt safe pulling it out of the holster (crossbreed supertuck) for months now, haven't had a ND. It really is a slippery slope. You could carry the mag in your pocket, but loaded. You can be ready to fire in a few seconds. You could carry with a full mag but empty chamber and be ready to fire in a second or two. Or you could carry with one in the chamber and be ready to fire in about a second.

As others have said, comes down to what you feel comfortable with. Make sure your spouse/sig other knows how you carry (I know, they're all loaded, but I'm going back to an old thread on this one).

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Carry it however you want. Usually there is more than enough time to chamber a round if needed, and that's a big IF. Situational awareness is much more important than +1 carry if you ask me. Especially since we live in the real world, & not the movies, where almost all defensive uses of a firearm don't actually involve firing it. Thank God for that.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    I carry an XD9sc with one in the chamber. I knew from the beginning that that was my goal but I didn't start out that way. The big reason was that I bought the gun brand new specifically for carry but I just didn't trust it yet. I wanted to make sure it wasn't going to demonstrate any mechanical problems before I put on in the chamber.

So here's what I did - I carried it cocked without a round in the chamber. I did this for 5-6 months, checking the gun from time to time to make sure the striker hadn't fired either because of a mechanical problem or a problem with the way I handled it. It was also a test of my holster (crossbreed), to make sure it was securing the gun as it should.

Once I was confident that everything was working as intended and I wasn't doing something stupid I started carrying with one in the chamber. As others have said - you'd carry a revolver with rounds in the cylinder. That the exact same condition as one in the chamber. If you're not comfortable with that yet then don't force it, but IMHO you should definitely be working toward it. You don't want to have to remember to rack the slide (and hope for no problems) when every single second counts.

Also, spend the money on a good holster - it'll help your peace of mind.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I too carry the XD9sc. It was/is my first EDC. At first, I didn't carry with one in the chamber, but then I read about the 21 foot rule and it changed my thoughts on carrying with one in the chamber. I now carry locked & cocked at all times.

The grip safety is one of the features that I like most about the XD9sc. If you know your equipment ND is not as much an issue.

NOTE: One thing I have gotten into the habit of when holstering my weapon though: I ALWAYS put my thumb directly behind the slide when holstering and push with my thumb, rather than holding onto the grip which depresses the grip safety.

I use a Tagua holster for CC BTW. For OC, I use the Blackhawk Serpa so placing the XDsc into it is more of a "drop in" rather than a "push in."

Hope this helps!

th_holsteringxd9.jpg

Last edited:

sartwell

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    New Haven
    I have 3 XDs a 9sc a 40sc and a 45 service. I always carry with one in the pipe. I feel like if I can't trust myself or the gun I carry then maybe I should rethink what I carry.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    ALWAYS on in the chamber.

I was in a training class a while back where there was an exercise (with empty "roped" guns) the instructor was the BG and he approached with in various scenarios. Your job was to determine when/if to draw your weapon and to fire. Under none of the situations (5 of them) was there time to rack the slide.

Train for what your carry. If you cannot carry safely with one in the pipe, then perhaps a new gun model is in need.

In my case I was very comfortable with my M&Ps but not so much with the 1911s. So, I trained/practiced more with my 1911. Now I'm fully comfortable carrying either one and confident I will handle it as needed. Practice is important.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Good trigger discipline is the only safety you need in a gun IMO.
    It's safe to carry with one in the chamber if your finger is always off the trigger when you're not ready to fire.
    Having no round in the chamber is close to carrying a empty gun, you need two hands to rack the slide, and in most defensive situation you wont have two hands (hand injured, pushing/striking someone etc).
    If you decide not to carry one in the chamber you better know how to rack the slide with one hand (you should know how to do that even if you carry with one in the chamber), because when the time comes to use your gun, like I said, chances are you wont have your second hand available to rack the slide.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom