Road rant inspired by the funny picture thread.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    All this "Zipper" talk is giving me flashbacks of an incident when I was an 8yrs old. I've been wearing button fly ever since. :nailbite:

I've driven a truck through LA and Orange Counties in CA for years and the official merge recommendations will only work if everybody drives as a "courteous driver". In CA traffic they are vicious arrogant bastards. And the theory will never work there. Most the time you need to be calm and cool while driving very defensively and really be on your game. Courteous driving was used only when it was appropriate and that got to be less every year.

I have cut-off/blocked more cars that I can count for racing up the median on the right and the emergency lane on the left on freeways where the average speed is 10 to 20. Behind them, a stream of cars that follow because they want to do it too.

This "Zipper" crap might work elsewhere with nicer people.................maybe Canada. Eh :)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I wish Indiana worked their construction zones the way I saw it done in upstate NY. If they were working on a 50 yard stretch of road, they had maybe 300 yards of lane closure. In Indiana, if they're working on a 50 yard section of road, they close down 5 miles of lane. I can't count the number of times when I've driven for miles past perfectly serviceable road where there was no work going on, but it's blocked off because they're working on a tiny little section several miles ahead. :n00b:

Well, that's one way to force early merging.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I wish Indiana worked their construction zones the way I saw it done in upstate NY. If they were working on a 50 yard stretch of road, they had maybe 300 yards of lane closure. In Indiana, if they're working on a 50 yard section of road, they close down 5 miles of lane. I can't count the number of times when I've driven for miles past perfectly serviceable road where there was no work going on, but it's blocked off because they're working on a tiny little section several miles ahead. :n00b:

Yep, this is a huge problem. Not unlike gun control, punishing masses for a handful of bad actors (and you still have the bad actors.)

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Maybe in Indiana "Big Orange" has a stronger construction barrel lobby than NY?

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    ACTUALLY.... for queues like that, grocery stores and such, it's better to have one queue for all registers instead of one queue per register. The throughput is the same, but the variance (i.e. one line being faster than another) is eliminated.

So, a single line works at the Speedway gas station because you get to the register in the order you got in line. Makes perfect sense. It's orderly, it's civil, it's even polite. Until an individual decides his time is more important than the 10 people in front of him and starts a second line.
    They taught us how to form up in a line in kindergarten. We have had to do it ever since. Nobody likes to wait, but sometimes life is hard. There were spoiled brats cutting lines in kindergarten, and apparently they can drive now.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So, a single line works at the Speedway gas station because you get to the register in the order you got in line. Makes perfect sense. It's orderly, it's civil, it's even polite. Until an individual decides his time is more important than the 10 people in front of him and starts a second line.
    They taught us how to form up in a line in kindergarten. We have had to do it ever since. Nobody likes to wait, but sometimes life is hard. There were spoiled brats cutting lines in kindergarten, and apparently they can drive now.

1. Why are ten people in line at Speedway?
    2. Most single queue systems (think airport or Disneyland) use some sort of control mechanism - ropes and such to guide the queue and prevent this.
    3. I've had the situation you describe happen at the bank - there's one person, then another, etc. that create an informal single queue for the three tellers. I join the queue and start to run simulations in my head to see which teller I get - the cute girl, the help dude, or... the other one. Then someone just starts his own queue off to the side where the cute girl is.
    4. A d*** punch helps in this situation.

I've been thinking - in many cases the single queue is slower. Why? Because there's lag due to (A) not seeing the next register opening and (B) added time to travel from the head of the queue to that register. If you have a lot of stuff, it's worse. Think of how long the travel would be in Meijer.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    1. Why are ten people in line at Speedway?
    2. Most single queue systems (think airport or Disneyland) use some sort of control mechanism - ropes and such to guide the queue and prevent this.
    3. I've had the situation you describe happen at the bank - there's one person, then another, etc. that create an informal single queue for the three tellers. I join the queue and start to run simulations in my head to see which teller I get - the cute girl, the help dude, or... the other one. Then someone just starts his own queue off to the side where the cute girl is.
    4. A d*** punch helps in this situation.

I've been thinking - in many cases the single queue is slower. Why? Because there's lag due to (A) not seeing the next register opening and (B) added time to travel from the head of the queue to that register. If you have a lot of stuff, it's worse. Think of how long the travel would be in Meijer.

Why be pissed? While you were there thinking of elaborate scenarios of how you could get in her lane, he just walked over and did it. He literally thought outside the box. Well, virtual literal box. Okay, not so much a box, but like ropes and ****.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Why be pissed? While you were there thinking of elaborate scenarios of how you could get in her lane, he just walked over and did it. He literally thought outside the box. Well, virtual literal box. Okay, not so much a box, but like ropes and ****.

Because being polite and getting in line like everyone else is fo' suckas, right?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Dropping the G-daughter off at school in the morning has shown me that 50% of folks have forgotten how to form a line.

​"THE FREAKING LINE STARTS AT THE BACK"

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Because being polite and getting in line like everyone else is fo' suckas, right?

Well. I don't know. I usually get in whatever line has formed when I go to the bank. Well, that is when my bank had lines. Thanks to the interwebs it doesn't. Ever. Anyway that other guy may have just been more focused on getting laid and didn't really think lines were an important part of that.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    These problems like many others can be solved by driving cars with really high, flat torque curves.:)

Top Bottom