• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I'm very curious about the accuracy of the TX-22.

No issues hammering 6" plates at 15 yards doubletapping an entire mag. I don't think it will outgroup my mkiii's, but in steel challenge or rimfire challenge groups really don't matter. I wont pick it over my mk3 target for squirrels, but for games and new shooter training is light years ahead.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Round 1 of accuracy testing with the Ruger Precision Rimfire (RPR) today using the factory Ruger barrel. 50 yards, 5 shot groups, Hawke Vantage 4-12x40 AO scope. The CCI standard velocity ammo delivered the best and most consistent groups. Remington Thunderbolts suck again for the 100th time (so glad I bought 5k rounds of that crap, at least it was stupid cheap :):) and CCI AR Tactical was a big disappointment for some reason too. I will install the Green Mountain 18" fluted/threaded barrel and retest to see what that barrel can do. *Side note, I learned something new today, that wind can affect .22LR at 50yds. Most of you may have known that, but I never thought it would factor in at this distance.

Best group: 0.46" CCI standard velocity
    Runner up: 0.51" Aguila standard velocity
    Worst groups: 2.56" CCI AR tactical & 2.52" Rem Thunderbolt

attachment.php

attachment.php

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Round 1 of accuracy testing with the Ruger Precision Rimfire (RPR) today using the factory Ruger barrel. 50 yards, 5 shot groups, Hawke Vantage 4-12x40 AO scope. The CCI standard velocity ammo delivered the best and most consistent groups. Remington Thunderbolts suck again for the 100th time (so glad I bought 5k rounds of that crap, at least it was stupid cheap :):) and CCI AR Tactical was a big disappointment for some reason too. I will install the Green Mountain 18" fluted/threaded barrel and retest to see what that barrel can do. *Side note, I learned something new today, that wind can affect .22LR at 50yds. Most of you may have known that, but I never thought it would factor in at this distance.

Best group: 0.46" CCI standard velocity
    Runner up: 0.51" Aguila standard velocity
    Worst groups: 2.56" CCI AR tactical & 2.52" Rem Thunderbolt

attachment.php

attachment.php

Very nice initial results sir! :yesway:

.46" at 50 yards is pretty impressive to me. I was averaging around .6" when I was playing around at KJ's and that was only at 25 yards. I did manage to get a .39" group with some Wolf Match, but I need to learn to shoot rifle better. I know Annie will perform much better than I can. That said, it's still fun busting lollis at 25 yards. I managed to get 4 out of 5, even with my scope shooting just slightly right. Look forward to some testing with you next weekend. I might try putting on my new Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4x12, even though I'm pretty clueless about mounting scopes. I figure one of you guys can help me get things "corrected" at the SGE ;)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    No issues hammering 6" plates at 15 yards doubletapping an entire mag. I don't think it will outgroup my mkiii's, but in steel challenge or rimfire challenge groups really don't matter. I wont pick it over my mk3 target for squirrels, but for games and new shooter training is light years ahead.

Thanks, Ggreen.: well put. Squirrels no, plates yes!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Well done, T-Dogg. :thumbsup:
    Thanks for taking the time & trouble of posting actual pics as well as the analysis summary!

I have a case of Aguila myself, but I think it's HV, not SV.
    I have my own stash of Thunderbolts (before I learned better, but the price allured me), but I just save them for revolver work, but now that I'm down to just 1 revolver (Dan Wesson 8"), I hate to run them even through that highly-treasured piece.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Question for .22LR experts: experienced-with-ammo folk:
    Should I be seeing if any of my remaining .22LR semi-autos I have can use SV instead of HV ammo b/c it would be "kinder" to the gun (Colt Target, Browning Buckmark Hunter, SW Victory). The Ruger Mark 4 Target is presently for sale. I haven't gotten the Ruger Charger out yet that I bought off a member months ago (saving it for summer fun and been too busy trimming 9mm & the .22LRs.

I've learned not to use HV in a gun made for SV (Smith 41), and have wondered about the others.
    I tried it on the Browning when I was vetting it against the SW 41 last week, and it cycled fine.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...I was averaging around .6" when I was playing around at KJ's and that was only at 25 yards...

...I might try putting on my new Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4x12, even though I'm pretty clueless about mounting scopes. I figure one of you guys can help me get things "corrected" at the SGE ;)

The table we used at KJ's was not as steady as you would want for "lollipops at 50" or the tightest groups. I plan to bring a steadier bench next weekend you can test with.

More magnification definitely helps...aim small, miss small.

...Should I be seeing if any of my remaining .22LR semi-autos I have can use SV instead of HV ammo b/c it would be "kinder" to the gun (Colt Target, Browning Buckmark Hunter, SW Victory)...

Not necessarily to be kinder but you may find the SV more accurate.

I rarely bother with HV 22lr ammo due to less accuracy (in general) and a lack of any need for HV. I once took a squirrel past 100 yards with SV target ammo.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The table we used at KJ's was not as steady as you would want for "lollipops at 50" or the tightest groups. I plan to bring a steadier bench next weekend you can test with.
    More magnification definitely helps...aim small, miss small.

Not necessarily to be kinder but you may find the SV more accurate.
    I rarely bother with HV 22lr ammo due to less accuracy (in general) and a lack of any need for HV. I once took a squirrel past 100 yards with SV target ammo.

Thanks for the input, 1st-friend-of-INGO-that-I-ever-met-and-shot-with! :)
    I had read where some heavier slides were made for a HV (and experienced it) and figured it was good/better for all guns: my mistake. :ugh:
    I will concentrate on acquiring more SV instead of HV, not just for the Smith 41, but I will test out the others and see if they will run on SV as well.

I cannot fathom 100 yard squirrel acquisitions: :wow:
    I have a feeling that the little secret for old men with weakened eyes is not the gun, but the optics.
    I also believe, that I could get interested in one .22LR rifle if I wanted to invest is the right scope (makes me think I should have perhaps kept my lever-action Henry). My accuracy pursuit would have it's needs met.
    I had hoped that the Ruger Charger I bought off a member with a red dot would fulfill that desire for accuracy, but, we will see: it will be my retirement pursuit, to see if I can behave myself.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Thanks for the input, 1st-friend-of-INGO-that-I-ever-met-and-shot-with! :)
    I had read where some heavier slides were made for a HV (and experienced it) and figured it was good/better for all guns: my mistake. :ugh:
    I will concentrate on acquiring more SV instead of HV, not just for the Smith 41, but I will test out the others and see if they will run on SV as well.

I cannot fathom 100 yard squirrel acquisitions: :wow:
    I have a feeling that the little secret for old men with weakened eyes is not the gun, but the optics.
    I also believe, that I could get interested in one .22LR rifle if I wanted to invest is the right scope (makes me think I should have perhaps kept my lever-action Henry). My accuracy pursuit would have it's needs met.
    I had hoped that the Ruger Charger I bought off a member with a red dot would fulfill that desire for accuracy, but, we will see: it will be my retirement pursuit, to see if I can behave myself.

There's that Henry for sale at a great price.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...I cannot fathom 100 yard squirrel acquisitions: :wow:...

It was about 110 yds, back in the '80's when my eyes were younger and a buddy and I did a LOT of plinking and challenging each other out to 200 yds so I knew my hold overs without much thought..and I imagine a little luck helped put that round right through it'e eye.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I was listening to Gun Talk radio program from the Sunday when they were at NRAM. They had a guy from CZ on. They were talking about the new 457 rimfire models and he hinted that a new model is coming this fall with an aftermarket trigger already installed.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I was listening to Gun Talk radio program from the Sunday when they were at NRAM. They had a guy from CZ on. They were talking about the new 457 rimfire models and he hinted that a new model is coming this fall with an aftermarket trigger already installed.

That’ll be interesting. The 457 is the first rimfire I’ve had that I didn’t want to change out the trigger.

Top Bottom