• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    What happened, Joe? Couldn't find the squirrel pelt? We missed you three there yesterday. It was a cold morning, but no snow, no rain. I got to the range just before eight and greeted some old friends, met a couple of folks I'd not met before, and generally just enjoyed the time ramping up to the shoot. In the meantime, Auntie Bellum and Niecie were busily getting our shooters checked in and soon it was time to take equipment down to the range. Shooting mats, chairs, ammo cans, and the like all found their way onto the firing and equipment lines respectively, and we headed back up to the clubhouse to give a short safety briefing. Out into the frosty morning we went and watched as people safely carried their rifles down. (I should add at this point that ATM's presence was missed, for I'm certain a song would have ensued.)

Once on the line, we gave some information as someone who shall remain nameless grabbed the wrong box and had to drive back up to get the targets and, incidentally, Dinky Dao, one of our national level folks who'd come to see how we do things around here. With targets finally retrieved, the Redcoat was posted and that sweet sound of the first shots of the day began to split the morning air. Our course of instruction underway, we started getting a little behind, but caught ourselves back up by the end of the day. We broke for lunch and Niecie proved to us that it's a good thing we have those cooks... Especially cooks who can shoot! The enormous pot of turkey soup was wonderful, as evidenced by the fact that when she went to package up any leftovers, the pot looked almost as if it had been licked clean! The history presentations had our shooters and even some of our instructors who know the Story well hanging on every word, but that, I suppose, is to be expected when the man telling it is a teacher with a degree in history! SPQR did a fine job; those who have an opportunity to go to one of his shoots, do not miss it.

Alas, all too soon the end of the day came, but this brought with it another happy occurance: We were paid a visit by several well-known names from the Appleseed forum, Techres and Hawkhavn arrived first, followed soon thereafter by Mogget, Meanstreaker, Colycat and, as rumored, Fred, the man who started it all.

It is an interesting experience to hear Fred speak of the events of April 19th, 1775 and the duty our Founders impressed upon us. He's a man who speaks in a quiet, unassuming voice, but the message he gives hits like a sledgehammer. He would ask a question and if the answer he wanted was not forthcoming, he would then give it with a bit of a lesson as to why his answer was correct, and his word choices were inspiring to me. He knows what he wants for this program and moreso, for this country. When I shook his hand and thanked him for what he has done and continues to do, he thanked me right back and at the same time, placed an expectation on me: If our program continues to grow as it has to date, he told me when to expect the one millionth Appleseeder to attend a shoot, and that if that person was on my range, I was to point them out and then ask the shooters and instructors present a question:

"Shall we stop now?"

The answer I hear when that happens, I sincerely hope will be the resounding "Hell no! Let's go for two million next year!" that he and I both would expect.

I cannot wait for the Advanced Instructor Boot Camp this summer.

Blessings,
    Bill

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Jun 26, 2008
    What happened, Joe? snip Bill

Wow... I thought I'd posted what happened, that must have gone as well as my morning did :(

Distributor cap gave up the ghost while we were on the way down. Friend had to wait for Autozone to open and bring me another one. It was a chilly wait! Cathy and I were disappointed, but Sean was crying. He was REALLY looking forward to getting to take a class with us.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Wow... I thought I'd posted what happened, that must have gone as well as my morning did :(

Distributor cap gave up the ghost while we were on the way down. Friend had to wait for Autozone to open and bring me another one. It was a chilly wait! Cathy and I were disappointed, but Sean was crying. He was REALLY looking forward to getting to take a class with us.

Ouch! What a shame! I'm sorry to hear that; if you did post it, I missed it, I apologize. There is a shoot in Rochester early next month and there is a one-day Appleseed in January in Indianapolis. Click on the RWVA oval in my signature and it will take you to the schedule page to sign up for one of those; there is also a two-day 'seed planned for Cloverdale in February, but I don't think that one's on the schedule yet. In the meantime, turn this into an opportunity to get in some more dry fire practice between now and whichever shoot you make it to.

Good luck and we'll see you next time.

Blessings,
    Bill

It is an interesting experience to hear Fred speak of the events of April 19th, 1775 and the duty our Founders impressed upon us. He's a man who speaks in a quiet, unassuming voice, but the message he gives hits like a sledgehammer. He would ask a question and if the answer he wanted was not forthcoming, he would then give it with a bit of a lesson as to why his answer was correct, and his word choices were inspiring to me. He knows what he wants for this program and moreso, for this country. When I shook his hand and thanked him for what he has done and continues to do, he thanked me right back

If you thought his words on Saturday were inspiring, you should have heard them on Sunday. Anyone who saw him speak on Sunday should be convinced of his convictions and his love of his country. A truly inspiring man.

PeaShooter

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Wish I could have been there for the whole weekend, but Sunday was still a great time!

Spotting for Abby on the 100 yard KD line was the best. Seeing her walk those rounds in and ring that steel, and with a rifle that wasn't sighted in for her to boot. Just plain awesome!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Wish I could have been there for the whole weekend, but Sunday was still a great time!

Spotting for Abby on the 100 yard KD line was the best. Seeing her walk those rounds in and ring that steel, and with a rifle that wasn't sighted in for her to boot. Just plain awesome!

Sorry I missed you two! :( Great work, Abby! You'll be earning that patch soon enough! :rockwoot:
    Thank you both for taking hats!
    AC.gif
    IIT.gif

See you next time around.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom