• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Signed up for Riley next weekend. Me, Cathy, Sean.

It will be interesting to see how it compares to all the military qualification courses I've fired over the years. Worst case, I'll get to go shooting, get a good history lesson, hang out with cool folks.

I'm betting I'll learn lots, though. Can't remember ever having had any kind of training where I didn't.

We are ashamed of our guns. They are not uber-chic LTRs. Just a plain ole 10/22 carbine, 1 magazine, Cathy's Marlin Model 60, Sean's 795 with 1 mag. At least we can try to hook Cathy up with an aluminum arrow so she can can do quick reloads :D Sean is the only one with sling on his gun.

Will the cool kids make fun of our guns?

Serious question. The website says there is a $10 range fee for shooters, except for ladies and brats. Is that per day, or for the whole event?

Joe,
    Glad to hear you will be there. It's my plan to work it, but unfortunately, not both days.

Do not be ashamed of your rifles, whether that was teasing, sarcasm, or serious. You are coming to learn, not to get into an equipment race. All the fancy equipment in the world will not make you a better shooter, the skills you'll be learning will. If anyone does make fun of your rifles, I want to hear about it. No banhammer, but a few quiet, well-placed words sometimes make worlds of difference in peoples' points of view. If I'm not able to make it, find the guy in the green hat.

You will want more than one mag per gun. I'll be happy to loan you one on Saturday for the 10/22, but I can't help with the 795 or Sunday. (There are a couple of stages of the AQT that require a mag change) If you can find one to borrow for the weekend, Sean will have a much easier time of it. If not, we'll make do. As for Cathy's reloads, I'll save you the trouble unless you already have the arrow shaft: McDonald's straws work, too. You'll need to tape them together to fit ten in your "speed loader", but it does work and you don't get much more inexpensive than "free". ;)

Slings are also a tremendous help. I think I have a couple... if not, I'm sure someone will, and we'll find a way to rig them to your rifles.

Thanks for signing up!

Blessings,
    Bill

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Jun 26, 2008
    Thanks, Bill. I was teasing about our rifles, we actually like them quite a bit. Well, Cathy and Sean like theirs. I'm getting a little more disappointed in the 10/22. It's accurate and incredibly reliable, but the trigger is crap and has at least an 8 pound pull after a thousand rounds through the gun, and the sights are worse than the trigger. Just remounted the scope on it. I can fix it up and have a heck of a rifle, but it galls me to have to spend a fair chunk of extra change on it to get it right. I've never been one much into modding my guns, though I know lots of folks get a kick out of it. I'm about an inch away from selling it to buy another Model 60 for myself or the single shot Savage with accutrigger I was fondling today. Always have enjoyed small game hunting and plinking with single shot .22s. It'd sure make Appleseed a challenge, though!

Sigh. Sorry about the rant LOL. We'll try to scrape up a couple extra mags. Need them anyway. I've just got to decide between a factory Ruger 10 rounder and a 25 round steel lipped Butler Creek mag.

Slings... we'll see. I'm a firm believer, but $$$ are what they are. It'll cost us $50 to get studs and slings for my gun and Cathy's, and we may or may not have it to spend, especially with gas costs for the Beast!

We are all three excited, both at the training, and the history parts of the training. Looking forward to a very good time.

Lars

Rifleman
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    To Do:

• Do My Appleseed Homework
    • Pack Range Bag
    • Pack Camping Gear
    • Pack WALLS cold weather gear
    • Pack DryDuck wet weather gear
    • Pack Rifle / Ammo / shooting mat
    • Pack some kind of food for dinner Saturday night
    • Find someplace to sleep Friday Night
    • Pack Icom IC-746pro HF radio
    • Pack Power Supply
    • Pack Wire Antenna
    • Pack Kenwood HT
    • Review My Applseed Homework
    Did I miss anything?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    To Do:

• Do My Appleseed Homework
    • Pack Range Bag
    • Pack Camping Gear
    • Pack WALLS cold weather gear
    • Pack DryDuck wet weather gear
    • Pack Rifle / Ammo / shooting mat
    • Pack some kind of food for dinner Saturday night
    • Find someplace to sleep Friday Night
    • Pack Icom IC-746pro HF radio
    • Pack Power Supply
    • Pack Wire Antenna
    • Pack Kenwood HT
    • Review My Applseed Homework
    Did I miss anything?

Only one I see.

• HAVE FUN!
    Of course, that's a given, considering it's an Appleseed. :)

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Thanks, Bill. I was teasing about our rifles, we actually like them quite a bit. Well, Cathy and Sean like theirs. I'm getting a little more disappointed in the 10/22. It's accurate and incredibly reliable, but the trigger is crap and has at least an 8 pound pull after a thousand rounds through the gun, and the sights are worse than the trigger. Just remounted the scope on it. I can fix it up and have a heck of a rifle, but it galls me to have to spend a fair chunk of extra change on it to get it right. I've never been one much into modding my guns, though I know lots of folks get a kick out of it. I'm about an inch away from selling it to buy another Model 60 for myself or the single shot Savage with accutrigger I was fondling today. Always have enjoyed small game hunting and plinking with single shot .22s. It'd sure make Appleseed a challenge, though!

Sigh. Sorry about the rant LOL. We'll try to scrape up a couple extra mags. Need them anyway. I've just got to decide between a factory Ruger 10 rounder and a 25 round steel lipped Butler Creek mag.

Slings... we'll see. I'm a firm believer, but $$$ are what they are. It'll cost us $50 to get studs and slings for my gun and Cathy's, and we may or may not have it to spend, especially with gas costs for the Beast!

We are all three excited, both at the training, and the history parts of the training. Looking forward to a very good time.

Thank Ruger's lawyers for that 8# trigger, but I know a way to drop it to about a 2 lb., but it involves either ordering a Volquartsen hammer or modifying the one that came in your rifle by stoning and polishing it. If you change your mind and are interested in doing the latter, let me know and I'll see if I can find the directions for you to do it. FWIW, the 10/22 is such an easy rifle to work on, yeah, I'll admit, I'm in the group that enjoy tinkering with it.

Slings... If nothing else, you'll have the availability of them to borrow. I'd be surprised if, after using them, you don't decide you have to have them, even if it takes a while to save the cash.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

OutaAmmo

Plinker
    Jan 9, 2010
    Joe Williams;
    I will be there Sat and Sun with a couple of loaner 10/22 Ruger factory mags if you need them. Got an extra shooting mat if you need too.

OutaAmmo

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Jun 26, 2008
    Joe Williams;
    I will be there Sat and Sun with a couple of loaner 10/22 Ruger factory mags if you need them. Got an extra shooting mat if you need too.

OutaAmmo

Thanks very much! I think I've got a 10/22 mag borrowed. Think we'll be needing one for Sean's 795, though. I noticed a couple folks have said they may have one there, so we'll probably be hitting ya'll up!

For the instructors, think I ought to give you a head's up that Cathy is going to have trouble getting from one position to another quickly, and the sitting position may be a problem for her also. When we are hunting she has a rest she uses to set her gun on.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip

Slings... If nothing else, you'll have the availability of them to borrow. I'd be surprised if, after using them, you don't decide you have to have them, even if it takes a while to save the cash.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

You are absolutely right about slings, they are definitely something we need, and an invaluable aid to accuracy. I'd probably have a couple more squirrels in the freezer if we had slings on our guns. I haven't had the studs mounted yet just because I want them mounted properly, and don't have a proper gun vice or drill press to make sure I drill the holes straight, so have been planning to pay to have 'em done. If we had more time before the shoot I'd buy the studs and do my best with my gun butler and drill, but two sets of studs = 1 box of Winchester 555 ammo for my gun this weekend LOL.

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    Niecie has made 4 gallons of Turkey soup for Saturday lunch. I've made home made rolls as well. Bring you own drinks, everyone is invited to share.

YHJ

Top Bottom