• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I think all you need to do is look at the states who have right to work laws currently and look at income levels in those states. I'm not going to do your homework for you, so go look it up. I can tell you what you will find. No unoins to speak of and lower wages than states without right to work laws. You should really know what you are talking about before you spout off your mouth.

Oh really? *I* should know what I am talking about? lol. OK Sparky..

Differences Between Right to Work and Non-Right to Work States - Perspectives - Inside INdiana Business with Gerry Dick

Here are just a couple examples, I'll let you do the rest of your homework yourself, lol.

"..right to work states create more private sector jobs, enjoy lower poverty rates, experience more technology development, realize more personal income growth, and increase the number of people covered by employment-based private health insurance"

4. Percentage Growth in Real Personal Income (1995-2005)
    a. Right to Work States: 26.0%
    b. Non-right to Work States: 19.0%

You were saying? :cool:

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I think all you need to do is look at the states who have right to work laws currently and look at income levels in those states. I'm not going to do your homework for you, so go look it up. I can tell you what you will find. No unoins to speak of and lower wages than states without right to work laws. You should really know what you are talking about before you spout off your mouth.

Looking at 2010 per capita income rankings in right to work states, you'll find that 8 of those 22 states are in the top half of per capita income.

Wyoming #6
    Virginia #7
    N Dakota #18
    kansas #21
    Nebraska #22
    Texas #23
    Florida #24
    South Dakota #25

The top 5 States aren't representative of unionized non gov't workers, IMO. Not to mention, it could be argued that their per capita incomes are inflated due to the large number of highly paid white collar jobs around technology, banking and finance. (CT, MA, NJ, MD & NY are 1-5)

In the bottom 10 states, there are 4 without right to work laws (WV, KY, NM & IN).

State per capita income (2010) - Buffalo - Business First

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I have a good idea.

Employers should band together and agree to a price they'll pay for labor. Everyone will pay the same price and then all the employers will have someone collectively bargain on their behalf with the employees. If they don't like the price of labor, they'll go on strike and agree that they'll all shut down their own businesses until labor agrees to accept a better price.

Also, the law would have a lot of rules about when an employee was allowed to quit and when they weren't.

What do you think, union guys?

Sorry. There's a law against that. It's called "Price Fixing", I believe. So it's legal for unions to do it, but not for companies. The National Labor Relations Board will have the Department of Justice take the companies to court over it. Amazing, huh?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Sorry. There's a law against that. It's called "Price Fixing", I believe. So it's legal for unions to do it, but not for companies. The National Labor Relations Board will have the Department of Justice take the companies to court over it. Amazing, huh?

Well then, I think we should just present my idea to the union membership. They're fair-minded people. Maybe they'll use the same arguments they use to promote unions and help us make the playing field more fair.

They're all about fairness, right?

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    It seems to me that if unions provide tangible value both to the worker (via safer working conditions and other benefits) and the employer (through increased quality, stability and morale), they will continue without problem.

If not, they will die under RTW just like many union members fear.

A union that does not provide value to both the worker and the employer shouldn't exist anyway, so ...

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    It seems to me that if unions provide tangible value both to the worker (via safer working conditions and other benefits) and the employer (through increased quality, stability and morale), they will continue without problem.

If not, they will die under RTW just like many union members fear.

A union that does not provide value to both the worker and the employer shouldn't exist anyway, so ...

EXACTLY!
    If people have to be FORCED into a Union for it to exist, because they won't join by choice, then something is obviously wrong!

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    The poor worker is just screwed. No matter what happens, the worker will still be screwed by the union, the employer, the state, the feds, and every welfare sucking leech in town. No wonder he's ready to just hang it up and live off the tit. What's the use?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    The poor worker is just screwed. No matter what happens, the worker will still be screwed by the union, the employer, the state, the feds, and every welfare sucking leech in town. No wonder he's ready to just hang it up and live off the tit. What's the use?

I don't understand how he's screwed. I'll be fifty this year, my first job was in 1978. I've worked:

At Pizza Hut, Del Taco, The Black Diamond Oyster Bar.
    As a bricklayer's helper
    As a general construction worker
    As a grocery stockboy
    At Wal Mart as a bicycle mechanic
    As a data entry clerical worker
    As a factory worker

Then I was an enlisted man in the Army. Then I worked as a:

Technical Recruiter, commission only
    IT Recruiter
    Human Resources Director
    Technical Writer
    Instructional Designer

During that those jobs I also learned lots of other jobs.

During all that time, I've never been screwed in any way other than the natural human way that we all do to each other from time to time. Not saying everything that has happened to me has been fair, but I never expected that, either.

I've seen just as much if not more bad behavior from employees towards their employer as I have from employers to employees.

Where is all this screwing of the worker happening?

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I don't understand how he's screwed. I'll be fifty this year, my first job was in 1978. I've worked:

As a bricklayer's helper
    As a grocery stockboy
    As a factory worker

IT Recruiter
    Human Resources Director
    Technical Writer
    Instructional Designer

During all that time, I've never been screwed in any way other than the natural human way that we all do to each other from time to time. Not saying everything that has happened to me has been fair, but I never expected that, either.

I've seen just as much if not more bad behavior from employees towards their employer as I have from employers to employees.

In the naturally fertile minds of the Union Bosses and their parrots.
    And we all know what natural fertilizer is made up of.
    :)

other guy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    Peru Indiana
    Oh really? *I* should know what I am talking about? lol. OK Sparky..

Differences Between Right to Work and Non-Right to Work States - Perspectives - Inside INdiana Business with Gerry Dick

Here are just a couple examples, I'll let you do the rest of your homework yourself, lol.

You were saying? :cool:
    OK pal, did my homework. Go back and look at the numbers you gave from Dick. They can be very misleading to the untrained eye. Notice in all tha categories it says "percentage of increase" Now pay attention to this.....
    When it says number of people with health insurance.... it is not saying what percent of the people in that state has health insurance, it is giving you the percent of increase in the number of people. Now if you cannot see the difference let me explain. A state with a right to work law will have an increase in percentage because companys will move to them seeking non-union cheap labor. Yes the states with no right to work laws will not be gaining jobs as fast hence their lower percentage of gain. Put another way, they are not giving you the percent of workers who are covered, they are giving you the percent of increase. I hope you can see the difference. Try googling " right to work " and you will see which states are right to work. Then google state income and you will see income by state. You will find as a general rule that states with right to work laws have a lower per capita income. Your reference was put out by a man or group who was trying to fool you into believing something thaT IS NOT TRUE. I say again, do your homework an become informed. Almost every categorie was for percent of increase not percent, go back and look, and I hope you will lok at more reaaliable sources of information in the future.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    us-map.gif

2008-election-map-nytimes.png

2004ECMap2.jpg

(2004 Election)
    us-map.gif

ElectoralCollege1996-Large.png

ElectoralCollege1992-Large.png

Loco179

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Why should anyone be forced to pay someone regardless of the service they provide? It is time to free the workers from oppression!

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Actually, I think the article on the front page of this morning's Indianapolis Star spelled things out pretty clearly.
    Pat Bauer wants his party funded. If he has to violate his oath of office and obstruct majority rule to do that, so be it. Following rules and obeying the law are for Republicans.

Last edited:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    OK pal, did my homework. Go back and look at the numbers you gave from Dick. They can be very misleading to the untrained eye. Notice in all tha categories it says "percentage of increase" Now pay attention to this.....
    When it says number of people with health insurance.... it is not saying what percent of the people in that state has health insurance, it is giving you the percent of increase in the number of people. Now if you cannot see the difference let me explain. A state with a right to work law will have an increase in percentage because companys will move to them seeking non-union cheap labor. Yes the states with no right to work laws will not be gaining jobs as fast hence their lower percentage of gain. Put another way, they are not giving you the percent of workers who are covered, they are giving you the percent of increase. I hope you can see the difference. Try googling " right to work " and you will see which states are right to work. Then google state income and you will see income by state. You will find as a general rule that states with right to work laws have a lower per capita income. Your reference was put out by a man or group who was trying to fool you into believing something thaT IS NOT TRUE. I say again, do your homework an become informed. Almost every categorie was for percent of increase not percent, go back and look, and I hope you will lok at more reaaliable sources of information in the future.

Mine was not the only source of facts you choose to ignore, interesting..

Let me ask this, AGAIN..

If you have to FORCE someone to join a Union because they will choose NOT to without Government intervention, what does that say about the Unions? :dunno:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Basically, what I am reading here is that some of you are SO pro-Union that you will support the Democrats because they support Unions, meanwhile, it is the Dems(many times the SAME Dems) who are overwhelmingly anti-gun..

So, Union over Rights, eh?

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Mine was not the only source of facts you choose to ignore, interesting..

Let me ask this, AGAIN..

If you have to FORCE someone to join a Union because they will choose NOT to without Government intervention, what does that say about the Unions? :dunno:

Or better yet, notice how he's acting like a democrat...ask them a question and they will dodge it like the plague.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US

As a bricklayer's helper
    As a grocery stockboy
    As a factory worker

IT Recruiter
    Human Resources Director
    Technical Writer
    Instructional Designer

Do you really feel like you're getting your moneys worth from all the taxes you pay?

other guy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    Peru Indiana
    Or better yet, notice how he's acting like a democrat...ask them a question and they will dodge it like the plague.

I am not dodging a question. Roadie totally ignored what I said in my post and came back with a stupid question. His question was why should someone be forced to do something that they don't want to. Nobody is forcing anyone to join a union. At some places the workers have voted to band together and form a union. Now if you dont want to join their little club no one is forcing you. Just go and get together with your anti-union buddies and work with them. Actually, Roadie was the one who avoided responding to my post by changing the subject. You say I'm acting like a democrat, your right, I'm siding with the workers of this state.(Unions are groups of workers) Democrats support unions,Therfore democrats support workers. Evidently you support republicans, who support big business(manegament) who oppose unions(workers). How the republicans have convincced some workers(fools) into supporting them is beyond me.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    His question was why should someone be forced to do something that they don't want to. Nobody is forcing anyone to join a union.

Maybe I'm confused. So if the employees band together and create a union I can still work there and make my own deal with the employer and the union has nothing to say about it and I don't have to pay any fees to the union?

No problem, then.

Top Bottom