• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I work with a guy that has a serious passion for tuning imports and he has done some serious work to his own cars which do have a bit different sound than just a fart can and a wing.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Meh. I had a LOT of fun driving my swapped Civic. It was a fun daily driver that handled great and would **** and get when I needed it to.

To each their own.

Well.....the key here is you swapped out the engine for something with real balls. Not just a fart can.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have respect for anyone who puts work into their car to make it better/faster. Unfortunatly, there isn't much good sound you can get from 4 cylinders.

Now a big block with flow masters on the other hand:drool:

As said upthread, kids will mod whatever they have, and most kids can't afford a V-8 muscle car. That leaves the cheap imports.

Build what you have or can afford....But take the $3K they put in the god awful thumping trunk rattlers and invest it in the drive train

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I had a turbo 5 spd Eagle Talon at one time, a nice little commuter car that got decent mileage and was a ton of fun on the on and off ramps around town. I had kid in one of my classes had the same car and we were digging at each other, me being a "big mercan V8" fan and him being a "fart can" fan. He said he had done a few things to his Talon and offered to take me for a ride in so I obliged. He didn't scare the snot out of me like he promised but after the ride he showed me the glove box full of low 11 second time slips from IRP. Other than the exhaust tone the thing was very civil in town and still got 28 mpg on the highway and he swears he only had $3k in mods under the hood.

I know it goes against the grain but I was impressed by a sideways motor front driver that day! I am with TC though in not being able to get over the front wheel drive burnouts though. My solution to that was actually in motion when life got in the way. I had taken some measurements and did a little paper and pencil modeling and decided that it would be very simple to remove the entire front driveline, fabricate a cradle and relocate the engine into the rear hatch area. This thing would have been killer on the road course with a ton of power, mid engine and an easily attainable 50/50 weight distribution but unfortunately a divorce laid waste to the project. (Unfortunate about the project, NOT the divorce!:rockwoot:)

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I love the fast and furious movies, the cars are very cool and I have to say I wouldn't mind owning Some of the them or the 70 gto, I love muscle cars and respect all who can tune a carb lol you ask kids today they say what? Lol, I have a 84 trans am that I love and got it running and particularly fixed up but still needs a lot of work. It has a sb 305 it's not the prettiest thing but it's still got the heart of a muscle car and will go down fighting
    But, just like a cheap hooker, it will still go down!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had a turbo 5 spd Eagle Talon at one time, a nice little commuter car that got decent mileage and was a ton of fun on the on and off ramps around town. I had kid in one of my classes had the same car and we were digging at each other, me being a "big mercan V8" fan and him being a "fart can" fan. He said he had done a few things to his Talon and offered to take me for a ride in so I obliged. He didn't scare the snot out of me like he promised but after the ride he showed me the glove box full of low 11 second time slips from IRP. Other than the exhaust tone the thing was very civil in town and still got 28 mpg on the highway and he swears he only had $3k in mods under the hood.

I know it goes against the grain but I was impressed by a sideways motor front driver that day! I am with TC though in not being able to get over the front wheel drive burnouts though. My solution to that was actually in motion when life got in the way. I had taken some measurements and did a little paper and pencil modeling and decided that it would be very simple to remove the entire front driveline, fabricate a cradle and relocate the engine into the rear hatch area. This thing would have been killer on the road course with a ton of power, mid engine and an easily attainable 50/50 weight distribution but unfortunately a divorce laid waste to the project. (Unfortunate about the project, NOT the divorce!:rockwoot:)

I would have loved to drive that. The Talons accept mods pretty readily. One of the people that worked at a supply house I frequented (still do) for HVAC-R parts put stupid money in his Talon. It would run very near or right at Warp factor 1.
    Rode in it to do lunch one day and like you said, the all wheel drive made it stable easy to launch.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I saw a guy racing at Ohio Valley last year with a fox body mustang that he had put some kind of turbo mazda in but kept the rwd and it was decently fast..still sounded odd but got attention

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I think it's mostly what's cheap and available. Most teens can't afford muscle without help from mommy and daddy. Back in the day, all-steel V8s were everywhere and cheap. Not so much today.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think it's mostly what's cheap and available. Most teens can't afford muscle without help from mommy and daddy. Back in the day, all-steel V8s were everywhere and cheap. Not so much today.

Scrap prices went insane and most of those cars that could have been refit were sent to the bone yard.
    I have ties with a large recovery/scrap/bone yard business and the piles of decent "G" body GM's that were lined up for the crusher was heart breaking.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Fart can ricers...
    Diesels with stacks... (and flipped mirrors)
    Jeeps with body lifts...

Real performance costs money. Imaginary performance is $29.95.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Good friend of mine & his son decided to get like an 80 Malibu with a mild 355/350 trans as an entry level street & strip car. At this point the probably have 15 -$20,000 wrapped up in it to run mid 11s. That's more than most want to spend on a hobby especially when most of it is upfront cost to get started

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Good friend of mine & his son decided to get like an 80 Malibu with a mild 355/350 trans as an entry level street & strip car. At this point the probably have 15 -$20,000 wrapped up in it to run mid 11s. That's more than most want to spend on a hobby especially when most of it is upfront cost to get started

The "G" body's are great platforms for this.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If I had money to invest in making a car go fast, I'd do it the right way.

I would not buy a little import and spend the time, effort, and money on making it go. Instead, I'd spend the time, effort, and money on guns, knives, ammo, and training. Well, maybe a trip to the Beef House too.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom