• ...and so much more!
  • Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Short answer: Ask yourself "Does this person need to be shot."

The long version is does this person have.

"The intent to cause great bodily harm, or kill someone."
    "The ability to cause great bodily harm, or death."
    "Access to cause great bodily harm, or death."

To further define the above..... Does this person intend to harm or kill someone, and possess the ability to do so, while in close enough proximity to do so.

a 5 year old who really wants to kill you for doing something to his mom, that's not armed with a weapon does not have the ability.... Bad shoot.

Someone calling you on the phone saying, I'm coming to your house in 30min with a shotgun to kill you and your family for firing me.... Doesn't have access. (at least yet, and if you wait around for him you're a fool.)

An unknown twenty something year old adult, in your home, in the dark of night, unannounced... Certainly has access. Likely has the ability. When confronted says something about "Dude man, JoBob said it was cool to crash on your sofa man..."...... Doesn't have intent, and is likely just drunk and confused.... (bad shoot most likely)

Someone shooting your dog, on your property, might have actually believed the dog met all three criteria, and reacted, possibly poorly.... you reacting in kind is almost certain to land you behind bars.

Tru3Flight91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    West Point, New York
    If someone shot my dog on my property, regardless of what my dog did or did not do, without talking to me first then i would be royally pissed off. Period.

Nobody has any right to shoot my dog while it is on my property and under my supervision.

If there is a problem with something my dog has done talk to me. Don't just walk up and shoot it. I'm honestly not entirely sure what I would do about it. That would be an incredibly emotional situation for me. I can guarantee you one thing though, the person who shot my dog, unless their family, I will probably never speak to them again.

Would I press charges for firing a weapon on my property? YES
    Would I look for some way to put in a plea of animal cruelty against my neighbor? YES

It wouldn't be something I'd take lightly that's for sure.

MBG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Indy-SW
    If you "don't know a dogs intentions when it is coming toward you" you are clearly a paranoid anti-dog douchebag and should cower in fear in your moms basement until all the evil canines are eradicated....

Seriously.....

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    "a guy from the power line company came over"

I work for the power line company, if you believe the people in my town, no dog would ever attack me for any reason what so ever, and my carrying pepper spray constantly is just paranoid. 99.9% of people who own dogs believe that their dog would never bite me. 50% of them are right, 49% of them I have outsmarted, scared off, or just plain outrun. Only had to pull the spray out once, and once I just laughed as this little yappy dog chewed on the end of my boot.

Almost pepper sprayed a lady once too, her loose dog came at me in an UNFENCED yard. As I was about to push the button she got between me and the dog almost catching it in the face. She threatened to call my boss, I gave her his name and number. She called and told him that I entered her FENCED in yard to spray her dog. I told him it was an UNFENCED yard and this loose dog came after me, case closed.

If a utility worker or mail carrier doesn't believe you when you say your dog does not bite, they have good reason not to.

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    If you "don't know a dogs intentions when it is coming toward you" you are clearly a paranoid anti-dog douchebag and should cower in fear in your moms basement until all the evil canines are eradicated....

Seriously.....

I used to think that too, until this last fall. My sisters german shepherd, a very friendly dog, she's had it for 8 or 9 years...had NEVER acted aggressively towards anyone...EVER.

We were sitting on her front porch, with the dog laying there beside us. A family friend pulled in the driveway with her little girl, and the dog walked to them, wagging it's tail like always, but it was walking differently, more slowly than normal, but not what I would call aggressively. It got 2 feet from them, and lunged at the little girl, knocking her down and grabbing her by the arm, shaking her.

I stood up and yelled, and the dog let go, thankfully. If it hadn't, I'd have shot it within probably the next 3 seconds. I have no idea what triggered that; it may have been the loss of my sisters husband, who passed away unexpectedly just a few weeks before. Maybe the dog wasn't herself because of that change, but needless to say, she was put to sleep that afternoon.

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    Ok...What if some piece of human excrement just walked up and shot your dog on your property? I don't know if you guys remember that story of the Navy SEAL who watched his dog get executed on his property by some asshats that were bored and just felt like shooting a dog...He pursued them in his vehicle until the cops caught up, guys got arrested...
    Well what if your dog was just sitting there inside a fenced-in yard and you witnessed someone do that? If you were close enough to where it happened, and had a line of sight on the SOB could you legally pull the trigger? The guy would not be on your property, however he is committing a violent felony, is he not? Is shooting this person right after he executes your dog legal?
    Personally, I'm pretty sure he'd be dead and I'd be telling the police he was aiming at me next...

i haven't finished reading the thread but i had to comment. YEPPPPPPPPP! i thought this from the beginning and i'm suprised it hasn't come up yet. if i see this person discharge a round on my property he will hear the final loud sound of his life. i don't care what you are doing. if you come on my property and discharge a round without my permission you will meet JESUS, period. i don't care what your purpose is but i'm in fear of my life at that point.:ar15:

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    my dog is a member of my family. trusted, loved and respected just like a human not only by myself but by my wife and children. if you shoot my dog i would move. move far, far away. if for some reason i do not have a chance to return fire, mark my words, i will find you. remember that scene from the movie taken, yeah, i'm gonna be beyond pissed. now, if she does something to provoke you and i see that happen, i'll take care of it but i have never seen this dog adversely to anyone.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I read the first page or so and did not see what I expected to see.
    **If you come to my property and kill my dog, I can only assume that you are there to do harm and that me or my family is very possibly next!
    In other words, if a person came on my property and shot my dog, They better come with more than a pee shooter.:ar15:
    If you are afraid the dog may do you harm STF- off my property! My dog dosn't leave the property (.)
    -I guess this dose depend on the situation, my case in particular though. My dog stays in the house 90% of the time, the rest he stays in a good sized, well maintained fence a fraction of the size of my yard.

Last edited:

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    If the guy just walks up & shoots your dog & before you have a chance to react he turns around & runs away, then if YOU do anything to him then YOU'RE in trouble, even more than him. The law only allows you to use deadly force when A PERSON is the one who is threatened, not a dog. The same would go for any other pet/animal (i.e. cat, horse, goat, pig, cow, whatever). Would the people advocating killing someone over their dog feel the same if the BG killed someone else's pet iguana? If yes, then would you be OK with killing someone over any other property? If so then you woould be operating outside of current legal authority.

An arguement could be made that if the person is still there when you arrive to be in a position to take action that you are in reasonable fear for YOUR OWN safety at that point. Then DF would be justified.

Come to think about it it would work the same if a person killed another person. If they are running away or gone, DF is not justified toward them. I'm sure I would want to take revenge on the SOB, too, but I would hope that I remembered that I would be in legal trouble if I did. That's the point of the court & the criminal justice system. Vigilanteism doesn't have any place in a civil society.

Here is the relevant law:

IC 35-41-3-3
    Use of force relating to arrest or escape
    Sec. 3. (a) A person other than a law enforcement officer is justified in using reasonable force against another person to effect an arrest or prevent the other person's escape if:
    (1) a felony has been committed; and
    (2) there is probable cause to believe the other person committed that felony.
    However, such a person is not justified in using deadly force unless that force is justified under section 2 of this chapter.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I would rather my dog be massed then shot! If someone enters my property and shoots my dog they will be dead before exiting MY property, I can only assume they are going to kill me to...

Lots of dog stories here lately, sure can tell the weather is getting nice. I finally bought mas to carry as a alternative to shooting someones dog or to keep them from attacking my dog, I would rather them both get massed then possibly shoot my dog by mistake as they are fighting.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The 3 S's.......

You hurt my dog (like a child to me) you will get hurt, maybe not right then and there but I will make your life hell. I am a mean vindictive jerk, I will find your home, your place of work I will distribute pictures of what you did to a poor defenseless animal, I will involve the local media, I will find you on every networking site you belong to and I will release your information to every nutjob animal activist I can find.

If you kill my dog, well let's just say I can not describe the misfortunes that would befall you on a public forum.

My PITBULL (Yes that evil horrible breed) is the most loving dog you will ever meet, as long as you are invited onto my property with me she will lick you to death, you come in uninvited it is a different story. This dog loves going to my parents house to play with my mom's (I can't spell it those stupid little Mexican dogs).

Hors doeuvres:rockwoot:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Ok...What if some piece of human excrement just walked up and shot your dog on your property? I don't know if you guys remember that story of the Navy SEAL who watched his dog get executed on his property by some asshats that were bored and just felt like shooting a dog...He pursued them in his vehicle until the cops caught up, guys got arrested...
    Well what if your dog was just sitting there inside a fenced-in yard and you witnessed someone do that? If you were close enough to where it happened, and had a line of sight on the SOB could you legally pull the trigger? The guy would not be on your property, however he is committing a violent felony, is he not? Is shooting this person right after he executes your dog legal?
    Personally, I'm pretty sure he'd be dead and I'd be telling the police he was aiming at me next...

(Where's that purple again. . . . . .oh yeah.)

It was horrible officer, he fired a shot at me, in my haste for cover and to return fire in self defense. . . .I didn't realize that he shot my dog!

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    How do you know Barney wouldn't hurt him? How does he know Barney wouldn't hurt him? While the fence is invisible, how does anyone know there is a fence there? If your "120 lb puppy" is charging me, albeit just to lick my face, how am I supposed to know that he is harmless? How close am I supposed to allow a charging dog to get to me before I protect myself?

I would be the first to agree that someone should be fined or jailed for harming a dog without provocation, but why can't dogs be enclosed in fences that allow the public to feel some sense of security? But, to answer your OP, just call he police, because although someone may heave been mistaken when they harmed your dog, any reasonable person would not misinterpret your reaction, which could result in your injury or death, as well.
    +1

You may "know" that the gun you're holding is empty, but how could somebody else know? They don't know and they don't have a way of knowing.

Tru3Flight91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    West Point, New York
    That was Marcus Luttrell.
    YouTube - Glenn Beck - Teen punks murder American hero's dog

And I think those punks got very very lucky.

Thanks for posting this :+1:

Your damn right they got lucky. If it was my house and my dog I don;t know what I would have done. These idiots should be very happy he didn't decide to take a shot at them or they'd be in worse shape. No worse shape than they deserve, granted.

I don't understand what goes through people's heads sometimes. This is a very tragic story and the behavior of these idiots is inexcusable.

How much do you want to bet that the gun they used was illegally owned and carried?

MBG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Indy-SW
    I can only assume since you put a loyal companion to sleep for doing what must have come naturally, that you have declared yourself an unfit dog owner and no longer have a dog at all, right?

Putting a dog to sleep for one bit is moronic and you have no business having ANY kind of pet, as you think of a living, loyal and loving companion as disposable.

Are there really this many idiots in Indiana? FFS....

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    Ok....Now if i am waling and a dog comes charging at me im going to draw and kill the SOB.....My wife and i walk with her dachsund and we had a very large rotwiler come jumping almost over a fence to nab us.....My hand was on my 1911 ready to draw and fire if that dog came over.....To many people own pitbulls and rots in this neighbor hood for me to be happy and excited when i see a dog running at me. I only know of 2 pitbulls in my life that are good dogs and i trust.....other than that I dislike those dogs to the 9th degree. I live in the city limits of fort wayne.....Lots of pitbulls.....lots......and lots of white trash and thugs.

m82mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Milton,In.
    If someone shot my dog while I was near, I'd react as if I were to be next.
    YES, I'd shoot. I consider my dogs as the first line of warning and defense.
    One of my dogs is a Pitt Bull mix. Very good dog. We host cub scouts on our farm and the dogs are protective and caring for all the kids!
    ( if a kid falls down, one of the dogs is there to lick and check him out before the adults get there!) My Pitt Bull, will not acept any food from the
    kids, even when a 2yr old was hitting him on the muzzle with a donut, tring to give it to him!

Mike

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom