• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    "You can steal another man's wife, that's a part of life. But if you shoot a man's dog - then son, you're gonna pay!"

From the song "Bugle Ann" by Wayne Carson

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    @ OP

As much as I love my dog that I hug every night before I go to bed, he is still a dog. No human's life is worth that of my dog, and I hope I don't forget it at the time.

As everyone else has noted in their various scenarios, it all depends on the circumstances, as does every potential altercation.

Therefore, I always endeavor to have control over my dog at all times, whether by training or by physical contact.

I know that not everyone thinks as I do -- my dog is a part of my family.

He is not an outside dog. When he goes outside, I watch him. No amount of training can remove his canine instincts. When I am near, he controls them to please me. I cannot expect him to suppress them without me.

I trust him, to some degree with my sister's kids, since I've trained Buddy to obey them, but I've also trained them to know how to act around Buddy.

Long story short -- Be the alpha dog. If you aren't there, your dog is going to step up and make decisions(if you've ever had a sandwich gone missing while getting the phone, you know what I mean). Dogs don't have high level reasoning skills -- they have instinct, emotion, and memory. If you can't control your dog while you're gone, take steps to make sure he can't do harm.

Sadly, having a dog in a fenced in yard when the power company guy comes over doesn't count, since they have contracted rights to enter your property at any time.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    So, do you have a sign about the invisible fence? Do you have a spot for the UPS guy to leave your package? If I have a package to deliver to a residence (and I may have been give right to trespass, because you ordered it) and the dog makes like he's going to tear me up, I either 1)don"t leave it ( you can pick it up at the center), 2)have my DIAD ready to rework your dogs dental work, 3) put it in a bag and toss it from the safety of the truck to someplace on your property. Actually, I'd only do one of those things, and I really like dogs. Just makes me angry when someone orders something and makes no provision for their dog or delivery. How far out of my way should I go for you?

The post, if you carry-carry, brought up this idea. Someone shoots your dog, your furry friend is on YOUR property, do you have cause to do anything back to the SOB? I wouldn't think you can shoot him back, but what exactly could you do? For example: I have an invisible fence all around my property for my large 120lb puppy. He's well trained, taken all the classes. Very friendly, just hates the UPS and FEDex man. The other day a guy from the power line company came over and said my large tree in the front yard needs trimmed cause its in their line. I noticed he had a thing of mace on his belt, I can only assume its for dogs. Mine was in the house. If he had sprayed my dog, which I know Barney wouldn't have hurt him, could I do anything back to this SOB?

I am very unaware what the law says about this. If anyone shot my dog, my first thought is beat the F-er down. So, what can you do?

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Ok...What if some piece of human excrement just walked up and shot your dog on your property?

Oficer, you wouldn't believe how far [insert dog's name here] jumped to take the bullet this dead dirtbag intended for me. Luckily, I was able to fire off 4 to the chest before he could get off a second round...

Or something to that effect. Practice 15 times before calling police.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    My Malinois was shot during an attempted auto theft in my driveway a couple years ago. In all the commotion we never heard the shot, and luckily the dirtbag shot him with a 22 short so there wasn't much damage.

Can't say as much for the @sshole that tried to steal a car out of a driveway with 3 Malinois and a Dobermann (3 of 4 protection trained and/or Schutzhund titled). Let's just say I felt real bad for this guy every time I heard a bone crunch.

If my dog's would have killed this prick I wouldn't have lost a second of sleep. My dog took a bullet intended for me. Enough said.

@ OP

As much as I love my dog that I hug every night before I go to bed, he is still a dog. No human's life is worth that of my dog, and I hope I don't forget it at the time.

As everyone else has noted in their various scenarios, it all depends on the circumstances, as does every potential altercation.

Therefore, I always endeavor to have control over my dog at all times, whether by training or by physical contact.

I know that not everyone thinks as I do -- my dog is a part of my family.

He is not an outside dog. When he goes outside, I watch him. No amount of training can remove his canine instincts. When I am near, he controls them to please me. I cannot expect him to suppress them without me.

I trust him, to some degree with my sister's kids, since I've trained Buddy to obey them, but I've also trained them to know how to act around Buddy.

Long story short -- Be the alpha dog. If you aren't there, your dog is going to step up and make decisions(if you've ever had a sandwich gone missing while getting the phone, you know what I mean). Dogs don't have high level reasoning skills -- they have instinct, emotion, and memory. If you can't control your dog while you're gone, take steps to make sure he can't do harm.

Sadly, having a dog in a fenced in yard when the power company guy comes over doesn't count, since they have contracted rights to enter your property at any time.

Top Bottom