RETURNING A FIREMARM - PROOF OF REGISTRATION?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    I returned a faulty firearm to an LGS and received refund. I failed to confirm if the registered name on gun was changed? I will check with them but if they tell me they changed it how do i get proof of that?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    There is no gun registration in Indiana. Likely, their books, the 4473, shows a transfer to you, and when they took it back, their books must again reflect that they got it back. This is not registration. Did you get any receipt or anything from them acknowledging that you returned the gun and got your money back? If so- good 'nuff.

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    I think the OP is referring to the warranty registration? Maybe? I dont know.

Ahh hell, INDIANA DOESNT HAVE A REGISTRATION

..Now I fit in, right?

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I think the OP is referring to the warranty registration? Maybe? I don't know.

Ahh hell, INDIANA DOESN'T HAVE A REGISTRATION

..Now I fit in, right?

This made me laugh, but just to clarify....I bought my pistol, did the background check with my social and everything, they wrote down the serial number on the background check I believe? So this doesn't mean that the gun is registered to my name?

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    This made me laugh, but just to clarify....I bought my pistol, did the background check with my social and everything, they wrote down the serial number on the background check I believe? So this doesn't mean that the gun is registered to my name?

The only place that keeps your name is the gun store. They'll show that they sold it to you and that you brought it back and then they did whatever they did with it, that's all.

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh

Yes, you're correct, but that doesn't mean the gun is registered to you. For instance, if I wanted to sell you my rifle. You don't have to register it under your name, or register it at all.

That's why some people want a bill of sale at a FTF sale. So if that gun is used in a crime, and is tracked back to me, I could say "look officer, on this day I sold this gun to this man. Here is is drivers license and phone number." Granted you aren't legally obligated to do any of that. Just some guys do. Now, none of that will ever happen. But that's my example.

Personally, I don't do a bill of sale. Now, I may be wrong on some things, but I am sure a fellow INGO member will be along to clear that up.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    they wrote down the serial number on the background check I believe

No, your serial number was not mentioned when the FFL called West Virginia. Your serial number is written down on the 4473.

So this doesn't mean that the gun is registered to my name?

Correct. Registration is against federal law.

Some states require firearms registration (California, Hawaii, New Jersey, inter alia). Indiana does not.

Some cities in Indiana maintained voluntary registration for business firearms (bank or store guns, kept at a place of business) which was also utilitzed by a few gun collectors for insurance reasons.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm confused, does Indiana have a registration?

The form 4473 isn't a registration, it's just a background check to is if you're legal to buy. It doesn't mean you did buy or ever own the firearm.

But, The dealer maintains a bound book - which may show the gun going to you then back to them, or have no record whatsoever. I don't know, but, either way, relax, you're good to go.

EDIT:
    Is this the "scary ND" Walther?

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    No, your serial number was not mentioned when the FFL called West Virginia. Your serial number is written down on the 4473.

Correct. Registration is against federal law.

Some states require firearms registration (California, Hawaii, New Jersey, inter alia). Indiana does not.

Some cities in Indiana maintained voluntary registration for business firearms (bank or store guns, kept at a place of business) which was also utilitzed by a few gun collectors for insurance reasons.

So then as of right now, the gun is not "registered" in my name? I apologize if I sound dumb, but like I said...still pretty new.

purple72

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Central Indiana
    But, on the other side of the coin, that 4473 is kept with the LGS for 20 years. Sooo, registered or not, there is still a VERY good paper trail that puts your name to that gun. Although, as others have said, when it went from you, to back in their books, the next guy that bought it now has his name tied to it. Some see it as not registered, and yet others see it as registered. But no, Indiana has no "formal" registration. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. Save your return receipt if it helps you sleep better. Oh, and welcome to INGO.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So then as of right now, the gun is not "registered" in my name? I apologize if I sound dumb, but like I said...still pretty new.

Let us suspend common sense and now discuss the law.

1. Your pistol is not "registered" to you as a matter of law. I.e., you took your pistol to the poooooooleeeece and had the coppers write down the make, model, serial number and your name on a 3" by 5" card, oh and then you paid the $40 registration fee.

2. The Feds, in the form of F Troop, can find that you purchased the pistol.

Way that works: IMPD finds pistol, IMPD calls F Troop, F Troop calls factory or importer, factory gives distributor (e.g. RSR), distributor gives local gun shop (Jasper's Gun & Bait), gun shop consults bound book, gun shop gives F Troop your name and address.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    The only place that that gun and your name go together is on the 4473, which stays in your local gun shop for a minimum of 20 years.

If a court case comes up regarding you, that information can be subpoenaed, but otherwise it stays right where it is, accessible only to the gun shop employees.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    All this gets confusing because one hears Larry, Daryl and his other brother Cledus discuss that the pistol is "in his name" and thinks, well, television and the movies must be right and guns are registered like my car with the BMV.

What Larry, Daryl and Cledus are discussing at the Indy1500 is that one of them filled out the 4473 (the white form at Jasper's Gun & Bait).

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Let us suspend common sense and now discuss the law.

1. Your pistol is not "registered" to you as a matter of law. I.e., you took your pistol to the poooooooleeeece and had the coppers write down the make, model, serial number and your name on a 3" by 5" card, oh and then you paid the $40 registration fee.

2. The Feds, in the form of F Troop, can find that you purchased the pistol.

Way that works: IMPD finds pistol, IMPD calls F Troop, F Troop calls factory or importer, factory gives distributor (e.g. RSR), distributor gives local gun shop (Jasper's Gun & Bait), gun shop consults bound book, gun shop gives F Troop your name and address.

But I've never done business with Jasper's Gun & Bait Shop. I'm so confused! :n00b:

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    But lets say you have a situation, for lack of a better term we will call it the LUDCO situation and the lgs you deal with is not on the level.

He could resell the gun illegal like and it still shows in his books that you bought it.

Not to say that this could ever happen.

Top Bottom