• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    My impression is that 88 is trying to allay some of the misconceptions about renting, so that the OP knows what is acceptable, and what is not...

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    An inspection is whatever I deem necessary to ascertain the condition of the unit in total. Which means I WILL open the door to the bedrooms. In fact, absent a pet being contained in said room (which is all the more reason to check its condition), or an effort to keep children from entering, a closed door is often a sign that the tenant is in violation of something. There's a lot to be said for context, so I don't automatically assume a closed door indicates bad ju-ju. But suffice it to say, I will open it and have a look-see.

You could ask for the deposit back, but you wouldn't get it. :)
    I agree, closets are good places to grow dope. I also agree that these inspections also usually include furnace filter/cleaning, etc......There is still a line drawn though. They can't open dresser drawers, boxes, file cabinets, gun cases, etc unless the apartment came furnished with them. A lawyer will cost money, and will still rely upon people telling the truth. I would file a notice of intent to quit or vacate premises and be on my way. After securing a new domicile, I would engage in a campaign to inform the public of the complexes actions. Oh, and every visit to the office would be an open carry day;)

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    And THIS is yet one of the many reasons I laugh at the people who claim it is better to rent than to own.

And Bloomington is a landlord's haven since many of the judges, lawyers, and politicians in town are rental property owners.

I'm not an apologist for renters, many of them are not upstanding either, but there are a lot of rentel companies that just run roughshod over tenets in Bloomington like not returning security deposits in spite of the property being left in pristine condition-because they know that mommy and daddy paid it and the student isn't as likely to fight for its return from however far away they live.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    You could ask for the deposit back, but you wouldn't get it. :)
    I beg to differ.
    Indiana law is very clear abut damage deposits.
    When you move out you get the damage deposit back.
    Period.
    The deposit may only be used against physical damage or repairs that can be documented.
    You can't even use the deposit against rent due.

I had a problem with ISU housing last year.
    My friend (who is a lawyer) told me what to write in a letter and to give them 10 days to cough up my deposit.
    He just LOVES to get damage deposits back for people.
    On the 10th day I had a check.
    HAAAhahahahaha it was great.
    If they had not gotten it back to me, we would have sued.
    And won.
    Then they would have had to pay not only the deposit but all of the associated court costs.
    That is also in the Indiana law.

My lawyer friend found this passion when his kids were going to college. Evidently withholding damage deposits is kind of a habit with student housing.

Please don't take this as my bashing 88GT.
    I appreciate her input on this thread.
    I just wanted to comment on the deposit thing.

Last edited:

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    (snip)
    With that said, a closed door isn't odd - I have a roommate and I NEVER keep my door open. I don't have anything to hide but my privacy. Also, imagine if I were at home sleeping I wake up to some person opening my door, I couldn't guarantee their safety at the point.

And a quick knock on the door isn't going to wake me up.
    That happened to me once when I was living in Indy. I woke up one morning to strange voices downstairs. My roommate had already left for work, so I knew that I should have been alone. I grabbed my 12 ga and went to investigate. I found a group of maintenance guys in my living room dealing with the results of a water leak from the adjacent unit. They looked up and saw me about the same time that I recognized them. When they saw the shotgun I think they made the carpet even wetter.:laugh:

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    I feel like I maybe shouldn't pipe up here, but...88GT, your defense seems out of place here. I understand you manage property, and feel the need to defend the rights of landowners. But, clearly the property owner in this particular instance has overstepped by allowing his agents to open a gun case in a closet, and then pursue a potential eviction based solely on the nature of the firearm contained within said case.

I guess I am just curious why you have spent much time rationalizing the rights of the property owner (which most of us are aware of) and no time supporting the OP. This kind of flies in the face of the notion I had developed of 88GT. Again, no disrespect, and I understand that your status as a landlord leads to strong opinions in this matter.........but do you honestly feel that this property manager is justified or worthy of defense?

I'm going to go buy a bunch of 12" wangs, put peanut butter on them and put them in a gun case.

Then.... I wait.....

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    That happened to me once when I was living in Indy. I woke up one morning to strange voices downstairs. My roommate had already left for work, so I knew that I should have been alone. I grabbed my 12 ga and went to investigate. I found a group of maintenance guys in my living room dealing with the results of a water leak from the adjacent unit. They looked up and saw me about the same time that I recognized them. When they saw the shotgun I think they made the carpet even wetter.:laugh:

Yeah, we had to rent and apartment for a couple years a couple years ago and a similar situation happened to me.

They came in once when my wife was home asleep because she was sick, she freaked out and called the police on our home line while staying in our bedroom and called me on our cell phone.

Police arrived, maintenance said they were there inspecting our kitchen because our neighbor who just moved out destroyed their kitchen including plumbing some how.:rolleyes:.

I was pissed!!

Not a week later I was sleeping for a couple hours mid day after having worked an overnight maintenance before my wife got home from work.

I heard a door slam and my dog started freaking out. I grabbed my glock 22 (My other firearms were being stored at a family members house while in the apartment) and sent my dog out first, he goes barking and growling out ahead of me towards our front room.

I followed him into the main room, "slicing the pie" as I hear the guy cussing my dog saying leave me alone, I come around the corner with pistol up, dog biting his boots and he looks up into the barrel of my Glock and says **** IM MAINTENANCE DUDE! DON'T SHOOT!.

Turns out they knew they needed to replace some wood and firebreak material between our kitchens and they neither notified us nor called/knocked or called out maintenance when they entered because they knew we both would be working and we crate our dog while we're gone.......

Lets just say that was in our first year of residence there and we had no problems other than the HVAC system acting up for the next two years afterward. They ALWAYS called to make sure someone was/wasn't going to be home after that. They also went to GREAT lengths to announce their visits with letters taped to our door and inserted under the door at LEAST a week before scheduled maintenance or appointments.

I think after having the cops (Who also came in guns drawn) called on them and coming face to face with K9+Glock they finally learned their lesson.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Yeah, we had to rent and apartment for a couple years a couple years ago and a similar situation happened to me.

They came in once when my wife was home asleep because she was sick, she freaked out and called the police on our home line while staying in our bedroom and called me on our cell phone.

Police arrived, maintenance said they were there inspecting our kitchen because our neighbor who just moved out destroyed their kitchen including plumbing some how.:rolleyes:.

I was pissed!!

Not a week later I was sleeping for a couple hours mid day after having worked an overnight maintenance before my wife got home from work.

I heard a door slam and my dog started freaking out. I grabbed my glock 22 (My other firearms were being stored at a family members house while in the apartment) and sent my dog out first, he goes barking and growling out ahead of me towards our front room.

I followed him into the main room, "slicing the pie" as I hear the guy cussing my dog saying leave me alone, I come around the corner with pistol up, dog biting his boots and he looks up into the barrel of my Glock and says **** IM MAINTENANCE DUDE! DON'T SHOOT!.

Turns out they knew they needed to replace some wood and firebreak material between our kitchens and they neither notified us nor called/knocked or called out maintenance when they entered because they knew we both would be working and we crate our dog while we're gone.......

Lets just say that was in our first year of residence there and we had no problems other than the HVAC system acting up for the next two years afterward. They ALWAYS called to make sure someone was/wasn't going to be home after that. They also went to GREAT lengths to announce their visits with letters taped to our door and inserted under the door at LEAST a week before scheduled maintenance or appointments.

I think after having the cops (Who also came in guns drawn) called on them and coming face to face with K9+Glock they finally learned their lesson.

REPPED!!! I have the same policy, you enter my house, you had better be invited!:ar15:

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I am leaning towards an OC event in the near future.

......and I got an email that says please call me to discuss this issue. I asked a few questions to get a written response.............

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington

......and I got an email that says please call me to discuss this issue. I asked a few questions to get a written response.............
    I would respond back stating that at least for the initial contact you would be much more comfortable with everything in writing.... and then of course record any and all conversations you do have! :D

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011

You can record phone conversations just as easily. make sure you do. Get a little digital voice recorder or something along those lines.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I wonder how this would have played out if the gun case would have been locked. Would they have even said anything, or would they have tried to compel the occupants to open it?

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I got an email back.....you read it and don't get too mad... It is for the safety of others...

----

I understand your disagreement with our position on firearms and you certainly have that right. As I said this week, our lease is very clear regarding the possession of firearms. In addition, as I relayed to you during our meeting, if someone expresses any sort of uneasiness or heighted alarm due to the possession of a weapon, we have an obligation to act under the terms and conditions of Section yy of our Housing Contract. I would point out that this clause of the contract is equally enforceable regardless of weapon type – whether it is a gun or a knife. The example I brought up during our meeting was not meant to indicate that any type of gun would make a difference in our enforcement, but rather was the possibility that the perception of certain types of guns may cause heighted levels of alarm with other residents. We would respond equally if it were an assault rifle or a BB gun, if a resident expressed those feelings. As I’m sure you can appreciate, in the wake of campus shootings around the country in recent years, there is a heighted level of alarm around colleges and universities. We are also concerned for the safety of our residents and have a duty to act under the terms of our Contract.

Regarding your question on the inspections, our quarterly inspections are a standard part of our operating procedures. It is covered in Section vv of our Contract. As you know, our units are also furnished, which requires us to more thoroughly inspect units to gauge what pieces may need to be replaced after your son’s move-out. That level of detail in our inspection process is what led to the discovery of your son’s firearm – nothing more.

Compare that to the audio I have....not quite the same!

Last edited:

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    I got an email back.....you read it and don't get too mad... It is for the safety of others...

----

I understand your disagreement with our position on firearms and you certainly have that right. As I said this week, our lease is very clear regarding the possession of firearms. In addition, as I relayed to you during our meeting, if someone expresses any sort of uneasiness or heighted alarm due to the possession of a weapon, we have an obligation to act under the terms and conditions of Section yy of our Housing Contract. I would point out that this clause of the contract is equally enforceable regardless of weapon type – whether it is a gun or a knife. The example I brought up during our meeting was not meant to indicate that any type of gun would make a difference in our enforcement, but rather was the possibility that the perception of certain types of guns may cause heighted levels of alarm with other residents. We would respond equally if it were an assault rifle or a BB gun, if a resident expressed those feelings. As I’m sure you can appreciate, in the wake of campus shootings around the country in recent years, there is a heighted level of alarm around colleges and universities. We are also concerned for the safety of our residents and have a duty to act under the terms of our Contract.

Regarding your question on the inspections, our quarterly inspections are a standard part of our operating procedures. It is covered in Section vv of our Contract. As you know, our units are also furnished, which requires us to more thoroughly inspect units to gauge what pieces may need to be replaced after your son’s move-out. That level of detail in our inspection process is what led to the discovery of your son’s firearm – nothing more.

Compare that to the audio I have....not quite the same!

While your bro is at it, I'd go ahead an toss all of those kitchen knives out too, just for safe measure.

Wouldn't want someone looking in his windows whilst cooking dinner, it may scare someone.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Did you already post up a copy of the rental agreement/contract?

Time to lawyer up (as much as I hate lawyers). Its nice when they provide stuff in writing :-)

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I would start calling and telling them how uneasy I was about all of the other residents having kitchen utensils, cars, heavy objects, household chemicals, matches, lighters, sharpened pencils....and anything else I could think of. I would then demand that, per THEIR LEASE, these objects be immediately removed or the offenders evicted.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Is he trying to imply in that e-mail that someone ratted out your son and complained about him having a firearm? So jacked up man.

Did you already post up a copy of the rental agreement/contract?

Time to lawyer up (as much as I hate lawyers). Its nice when they provide stuff in writing :-)

+ 5,000!

I would start calling and telling them how uneasy I was about all of the other residents having kitchen utensils, cars, heavy objects, household chemicals, matches, lighters, sharpened pencils....and anything else I could think of. I would then demand that, per THEIR LEASE, these objects be immediately removed or the offenders evicted.

Paring knives can be scare buisness!

Top Bottom