• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I didn't think the landlord could go thru the tenants stuff like that. I always thought they could only enter if they had reason to believe their property was being damaged.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    the inspector opened up the gun case and noticed it was an evil AR-15!

Since when do they have the right to go through your personal property? Wait.... THEY DON'T!!! Unless you signed of on that clause in the lease.

Far as "doctoring" the audio recording so you can hear the other guy talking, there's a program called Wavepad that works pretty good. You can download a 30 day trial for free. Just highlight the quite portions of the recording, click amplify, choose the percentage you want to amplify it, and click ok.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    LongBow, Where is this located? PM me with where and who.... If it is here in B-ton, I know alot of the property management company execs....

Oh, and this is :bs: another idiot looking at the "evil black" and having no idea what the heck they are talking about!

Also, I thought that there was a law passed that didn't allow this type of crap? I could be high though.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    Pleas let me know where this is so I know to NEVER live there! You can PM the name of the property management co. because im sure they own more than this one property. This is BS! I wouldnt alter or edit this unless you keep copies of the originals for court so they cant say it was manipulated or edited in any way.Just a FYI but thats just my 2 cents! When I was younger I had an apt manager try to evict me because I carried a gun and wasnt a LEO and "only a Marine" which doesnt entitle me to carry a gun all the time. To make a long story short the court sided with me,local/state laws, and the UCMJ. I moved after that but it was on my own instead of being evicted and ruining my credit. I wish all the luck to you on this! This company needs to be taught a lesson so that they will not infringe on anyone elses rights!

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Could you please post the location? It sounds like you are referring to section 8 housing. Even if not entirely section 8, most complexes now have section 8 sections in order to get mucho government money. If that is the case they can evict you if they don't like your hat.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Could you please post the location? It sounds like you are referring to section 8 housing. Even if not entirely section 8, most complexes now have section 8 sections in order to get mucho government money. If that is the case they can evict you if they don't like your hat.

It is not section 8.

It is an apartment complex geared towards students, and young adults. I read the full contract and it does not ban guns and it does not allow the type of "safety and maintenance" inspection they did.

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Notice to all renters:

In the interest of saving you from certain eviction, I will happily take any and all 'Assault' weapons off of your hands for the duration of your lease. I will not charge for this service. In addition, I will regularly fire you weapon to ensure actions, bolts, etc... do not lock up due to non-use*. Do it for yourself. Do it for your wussy neighbor. Do it for the children. Let me take possession of your black rifle.

Your welcome.

*Must supply sufficient amount of ammunition for the duration of lease.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    It is not section 8.

It is an apartment complex geared towards students, and young adults. I read the full contract and it does not ban guns and it does not allow the type of "safety and maintenance" inspection they did.

sounds to me like it's time to contact a lawyer.... let's see, trespassing, breaking and entering, illegal search, violating constitutional rights.... yeah, I'm thinking an NRA lawyer would have a field day.... so do you and your son want to own the complex? ;)

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Notice to all renters:

In the interest of saving you from certain eviction, I will happily take any and all 'Assault' weapons off of your hands for the duration of your lease. I will not charge for this service. In addition, I will regularly fire you weapon to ensure actions, bolts, etc... do not lock up due to non-use*. Do it for yourself. Do it for your wussy neighbor. Do it for the children. Let me take possession of your black rifle.

Your welcome.

*Must supply sufficient amount of ammunition for the duration of lease.

Wow, and you are making them supply the ammo! :D:laugh:

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    It is not section 8.

Well i think you have your answer right there. If they didn't have a right to be even in the appartment, then they had no right what so ever to look through said closet and find "teh Evil Black Rifle" in question.

Also, was there notice given for the inspection? If not it sounds like someone may have ratted your friend/family member out. And they may want to figure out if they have any enemies in the building. Or if they pissed off a roomate. If they ratted them out to a manager and nothing happens who knows who else they will tell about it.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I'm pretty sure they have to notify tenants before an inspection by law. The law may also specify what an "inspection" can cover.

Poking around in your underwear drawer, or opening a closed rifle case, are surely out of bounds.
    No notice required by law. Indiana code only covers what a landlord may enter for without notice and without violating the "quite enjoyment" of the tenant. It does NOT preclude anything else being written into the lease. For example, a lease could state that the landlord will inspect the property once a month and may do so without notice to the tenant. If the lease is silent on inspections terms, then Indiana code outlines the bare minimum obligations/restrictions on tenant/landlord.

Having said that, I do not think that all lease terms would hold up in court, particularly those that extend beyond the landlord's vested interest in the property. IOW, inspection of the tenant's personal possessions likely would never fly. But you'd be surprised how stupid tenants can be. We always give notice of inspections and they still leave violations out in plain sight.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Tell me how they were able to simply open someone's private property during an inspection? Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't they be inspecting the well being of the actual unit, not what the person has for personal possession?

I'd be FLIPPING my wig on these guys...

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Many apartment leases include a right to inspect clause. However I have never heard of the owner or manager doing the inspection unless there is a reason. If the inspection was done by a maintenance person or even the person they call the office or apartment manager their rantings mean nothing. Contact the owner or management company and speak to someone in authority. File a formal complaint with them against the offending person at the apartment complex.

Additionally even if an inspection is allowed or required by the lease the inspector has no right to open your cabinets, drawers or rifle boxes. They are there to inspect the condition of the apartment and assure the owners that you aren't violating you lease by raising pigs or harboring illegals etc.

Top Bottom