• ...and so much more!
  • Span24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    North Central
    Bad rifles happen.

If you find the problem, and then fix it.............what have you got?

A 597.

They aren't expensive or rare, I wouldn't burn a lot of time and or money in trying to solve the problem.
    Sure, learning is good...........but one has to be practical about the cost of such an education.

:wow: Sounds like you actually have a life!

Thank you for the perspective!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    You have already paid for the gun. I would learn something from this. If you can afford it try another barrel. Or have this one recrowned. Seems a shame to dump it off on someone at a loss. I am sure you can get it going. If you do sell it I am interested in it as a project. there are enough good shooting ones out there that is has to be able to be made in to a good gun. :twocents:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I once got a used minty Rem 742 carbine that had a problem.
    Also got a pistol that was problematic.
    Seen many others over the years (know a fair number of shooters, worked in a shop).
    Stuff happens.

Sometimes things are not worth fixing.

A few folks pour a lot of money in fixing or upgrading a rig and then get a bit bent about the loss of their "investment" when they try to trade or sell.

Custom doesn't mean much unless the new guy wants exactly what you had built, and even then most want to say "I had it done".

Last edited:

bigerik

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2012
    jefferson county
    might be the scope, but im betting the barrel is in need of a good cleaning with solvent to rid the lands n groves of lead n copper fouling. I patch mine at least every 50rds and clean deep for metal fouling after each shooting event. Try butchs bore shine its good for cleaning out barrels safely.
    if you were to bring that gun in to me that would be my very firstthing id look at..barrel fouling.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Span24: I have copper solvent. We can clean your barrel if you have time for a range trip. I can bring a bore light and all the cleaning stuff. Glad to do what ever I can to help.

bigerik

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2012
    jefferson county
    Give it a good bore scrubbing. Lead bullets foul barrels very quickly. Use a good solvent like butches boreshine. 80% of the guns i get said to be shooting poorly are poorly cleaned bores or junky optics.

Top Bottom