• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I changed the optic on my 597 and it became a tack driver. Rolling the dice with the package optic on those guns. Fellow ingo member bought that piece from me and he has no complaints.
    With the original you could do better iron sights.

Span24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    North Central
    It could easily be scope, rings, or base's. With a centerpoint scope thats the first place I would look.

The rifle did not come supplied with a scope. I purchased the scope (Center Point) when I purchased the rifle. After reading so many responses indicating that it could be the scope I intend to replace it and see if the problem is resolved. Perhaps you feel some sympathy and will make me a deal I cannot refuse on a good new one?!? :cool:

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I've tried a couple of different scopes on mine. I'm relatively certain mine isn't a glass issue. I've moved the questionable glass to other rifles with no issues, and put good glass on the bad 597. You can't get good groups with a 20lb trigger.:dunno: When I replace the hammer, I'll let you know how it turns out.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    The Center Point is a cheapy but I have a few and only have had one bad one and it came from the factory with a loose reticle. I would for sure try your other scope!

Span24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    North Central
    I've tried a couple of different scopes on mine. I'm relatively certain mine isn't a glass issue. I've moved the questionable glass to other rifles with no issues, and put good glass on the bad 597. You can't get good groups with a 20lb trigger.:dunno: When I replace the hammer, I'll let you know how it turns out.

While there is no way I'll even consider arguing your point there is also no way I am that bad at shooting (even with the heavy trigger).

Cross hairs on target, (B.R.A.S.S), bullet hits 1.5 inches low and to the right, cross hairs still on target. Second shot; Cross hairs still on target, (B.R.A.S.S), bullet hits 1 inch high and to the right, cross hairs still on target. ...you get the idea. I'm actually watching the bullet hit at a different location from the cross hairs.

I'm thinking optics or bad rifle...

Span24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    North Central
    While there is no way I'll even consider arguing your point there is also no way I am that bad at shooting (even with the heavy trigger).

Cross hairs on target, (B.R.A.S.S), bullet hits 1.5 inches low and to the right, cross hairs still on target. Second shot; Cross hairs still on target, (B.R.A.S.S), bullet hits 1 inch high and to the right, cross hairs still on target. ...you get the idea. I'm actually watching the bullet hit at a different location from the cross hairs.

BTW: Someone said there would be a prize for the guy who wrote 'cross hairs' the greatest number of times in a single post... :laugh:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    My Gamo air rifle came with a scope that held wind age, but wouldn't hold elevation. Every shot would be two inches high or low, and after about a hundred shots it wasn't fun anymore. Luckily my new Sightron S1 arrived, and now it holds a 1" group at 40y. The scope is everything when it comes to accuracy. Make sure you use lock tite on your rings and base too.

But I will also say that leading can occur from a single trip to the range. Last time my wife only put about 50 rounds down range before her 22 pistol began missing. She thought she was just doing something wrong, but I've seen her shoot tight groups, so I stopped her. I shot it myself and had the same wide pattern, so we put it away. When I got home the end of the barrel had lead coming out of it so thick that I scraped it off with a knife. It took two hours of bore brite and brushes to get that thing cleaned.

When you send a gun in for work, they usually check FUNCTION, not accuracy, since accuracy is subjective. They probably polished the feed ramps, and made sure it didn't jam, them shipped it back. Good luck!

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas

I can't argue with you, I've got the same issue. I've never moved the screws on a scope so much in my life. I'm frustrated enough with the rifle that I'll throw a little more cash at it and get the hammer and see how it does. I thought I could overcome the trigger with training, but I can't. If I can't make it drive tacks, it doesn't stay in the safe.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I bet your scope was previously used on your 10/22 before being mounted on your 597. 10/22's are scope killers and your scope has a busted reticle. Put it on your 10/22 and you will have the same problem chasing your zero around.

if not, your scope was broken from day one.

Huh??? how can any .22 be a scope killer? The only recoil I've ever felt from any .22 firearm are semi auto handguns... and they're minimal at that.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Guys who ran 10/22's in speed events reportedly nuked scopes (even $$$ ones).
    They claimed it was from bolt slap in the opp direction of recoil.
    Tons of shooting too.

wildddw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2013
    Huntington
    I will say this, I had one that I never could get right...... I sold it for $150 and never looked back. I am not much of a rifle man but i get the general idea of how to zero a scope and I think the gun was just junk. Wish I knew about this website 8 years ago!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I will say this, I had one that I never could get right...... I sold it for $150 and never looked back. I am not much of a rifle man but i get the general idea of how to zero a scope and I think the gun was just junk. Wish I knew about this website 8 years ago!

A scope is much much more likely to be the culprit than a gun. Think about how precise and finicky a scope is vs a gun. Also rings and base are the most commonly overlooked piece of the puzzle. Everything that makes a scope accurate is protected by aluminium. Everything that makes a gun accurate is protected by steel (usually steel) rings and a base are just handing out there by themselves.

Span24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    North Central
    A scope is much much more likely to be the culprit than a gun. Think about how precise and finicky a scope is vs a gun. Also rings and base are the most commonly overlooked piece of the puzzle. Everything that makes a scope accurate is protected by aluminium. Everything that makes a gun accurate is protected by steel (usually steel) rings and a base are just handing out there by themselves.

Because I am no expert here I cannot dispute experience. I can tell you that based upon what I see through the scope it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever that the cross hairs move that much 'between shots'. I will change the scope and test but my money is on the rifle just being a lemon. Despite of course, consistent expert assurance that Remington would not just 'send it back' and that the scope is the most likely suspect or that the trigger is so heavy that it throws off every shot. I'm on board until I swap it and get the same crap I have always gotten.:dunno:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    News Flash! Gun companies generally won't accept a gun for warranty work when the complaint is that it doesn't shoot as accurately as it should. There are exceptions, especially with high quality target guns. The reason is that way too much depends on the skill of the shooter and ammunition used. Many .22 LR guns are very sensitive regarding ammo. You didn't say whether or not you tried some match quality or even standard velocity ammo. Did you make sure that you cleaned the bore after you tested each type of ammo? Some ammo will leave a build-up in the barrel. If it isn't a scope or ammo problem, then I would suggest that after making sure that the rifle is unloaded, check to see if there is any damage to the crown of the muzzle. Sometimes having the muzzle re-crowned can vastly improve accuracy.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Start with the scope. replace it with one of known quality. I'll assume you tighten rings and bases when you install the scope.

2nd, look closely at the crown. Run a q-tip around the muzzle and see if it catches fibers. Last place the bullet touches the bore must be as perfect as possible.

3rd, try adjusting torque on the action screws. To do this with any repeatability you'll need an in/lb torque driver that reads to about 30 in/lbs.

Span24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    North Central
    News Flash! Gun companies generally won't accept a gun for warranty work when the complaint is that it doesn't shoot as accurately as it should. There are exceptions, especially with high quality target guns. The reason is that way too much depends on the skill of the shooter and ammunition used.

In this case, I promise you, they did.

If I'm a firearms manufacturer with a customer reporting accuracy problems I'm gonna do this:

1) I'm gonna load ammunition I know my rifle likes
    2) I'm gonna mount the rifle in a vise
    3) I'm gonna fire three rounds from that rifle to see if it produces a consistent acceptable grouping (by any standard that which my rifle produces is NOT)
    4) If it does not I'm gonna find out why
    5) If it does I'm gonna send it back to my customer and tell them what I did

But then, I believe in good customer service.

This may be exactly what Remington did, accept that they SAID that they polished the feed ramps to fix the problem.

I have to perform the actions recommended and then I will report my findings. If my troubleshooting produces unacceptable results for me I will happily sell this very nice looking rifle at half the retail cost to anyone who wants it. :spend:

Span24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    North Central
    Start with the scope. replace it with one of known quality. I'll assume you tighten rings and bases when you install the scope.

2nd, look closely at the crown. Run a q-tip around the muzzle and see if it catches fibers. Last place the bullet touches the bore must be as perfect as possible.

3rd, try adjusting torque on the action screws. To do this with any repeatability you'll need an in/lb torque driver that reads to about 30 in/lbs.

Thank you! This is my plan!

Span24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    North Central
    Here is a look at the crown:

2013-09-041338182_zps0d09edcf.jpg

The gun has not been cleaned since my outing Sunday. I can post additional images after cleaning.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom