• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    Well, now that the flame war is over, does anyone have a current source for strike anywhere matches? I think they're rarer than large pistol primers...I'm not grinding mine up (that I have left) to re-make primers. I'll go back to blackpowder and flints first, or more likely, my longbow.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Well, now that the flame war is over, does anyone have a current source for strike anywhere matches? I think they're rarer than large pistol primers...I'm not grinding mine up (that I have left) to re-make primers. I'll go back to blackpowder and flints first, or more likely, my longbow.
    I should have mentioned where to get them because most stores don't carry them. Fortunately every Ace hardware I have ever checked with does keep plenty in stock!

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I'm sorry if I've missed it... does anyone have any idea what this does to chamber pressures?
    So far, I have only messed with relatively light loads, for that very reason. I am hoping to get a chronograph at some point to find out a little more. I have fired plastic bullets with primer only and the match stick filled primers don't shoot the plastic bullets with quit as much force as Winchester primers do. but it seems pretty close.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I would think it would drasticlly decrease pressures because you wouldnt have the force of the spark to ignite a large amount of powder all at once.... velocities would probably be severly lacking

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I would think it would drasticlly decrease pressures because you wouldnt have the force of the spark to ignite a large amount of powder all at once.... velocities would probably be severly lacking
    Like I say, I haven't had access to a chrony
    but it does set the powder off quite well. I have been shooting loads with these primers and they seem pretty accurate.

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    I should have mentioned where to get them because most stores don't carry them. Fortunately every Ace hardware I have ever checked with does keep plenty in stock!

Strike anywhere matches? Diamond doesn't make them, and Ohio Blue Tip was bought by Diamond. I think the Consumer Protection people, or some child safety NGO threatened lawsuits galore if they didn't stop making strike anywhere ones. They even had to reformulate the strike on box matches to make them a little harder to scratch light, if I remember right.

What brand do they sell? Who makes them now? I gotta find an Ace near me.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Strike anywhere matches? Diamond doesn't make them, and Ohio Blue Tip was bought by Diamond. I think the Consumer Protection people, or some child safety NGO threatened lawsuits galore if they didn't stop making strike anywhere ones. They even had to reformulate the strike on box matches to make them a little harder to scratch light, if I remember right.

What brand do they sell? Who makes them now? I gotta find an Ace near me.
    The ones I have been buying are Diamond.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Oh by the way, I have another trick up my sleeves, that is in the testing phase, just in case my source of strike anywhere matches dries up.

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    The ones I have been buying are Diamond.

Well, how 'bout that? I just did a search, and Diamond is still making them. I haven't seen any in a while, and I was sure I remembered the deal about some government agency fussing about kids and strike anywhere matches. I'll still have to look for that, but I'm also going to increase my supply of matches some more. Heck, even Amazon is selling them!

I remember a story in one of the Foxfire books on using chicken manure to manufacture a nitrate that would work for making blackpowder and match tips. There was one in Backwoodsman magazine recently, too on making blackpowder that way. Don't know how well it would work for primers tho...

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Well, how 'bout that? I just did a search, and Diamond is still making them. I haven't seen any in a while, and I was sure I remembered the deal about some government agency fussing about kids and strike anywhere matches. I'll still have to look for that, but I'm also going to increase my supply of matches some more. Heck, even Amazon is selling them!

I remember a story in one of the Foxfire books on using chicken manure to manufacture a nitrate that would work for making blackpowder and match tips. There was one in Backwoodsman magazine recently, too on making blackpowder that way. Don't know how well it would work for primers tho...
    Potassium nitrate is cheap and readily available. You can order it, and just about anything else you would want to make gunpowder with, at skylighter.com.

There are some interesting gunpowder recipes in this online book... Homemade Guns and Homemade Ammo - Brown (pdf document) free file download at fliiby.com

... you can actually make gunpowder out of strike on the box matches by just crushing the match heads (check out my other youtube videos) but you don't want any of the white tip from strike anywhere matches in that mix. Matchtip powder does work but it takes so many matches that it ends up being 5 times as expensive as traditional smokeless powder.
    The recipe in that book that I am most interested in is Potassium nitrate and sugar. If I ever try it I will cook it in a crock pot, outside.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Just got word back from a buddy over at the Hi Point firearms forum who went to the gun range today with ten .45 acp rounds built with match stick primers. He has declared the primmer shortage over!

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Suggestions for my new primmer video help me out

I got a message from a guy over at castboolits suggesting the following changes to my primmer video.

1- use weighed charges for uniformity.

2- use a non-sparking pestle instead of a steel hammer head to grind the match heads. (a piece of brass rod).

3- wear safety glasses or a face mask.

Weighing the compound might be of use if it's not to big of a pain. I'll have to try it. I had already switched to a plastic mallot instead of the claw hammer and I have always worn safety glasses when I reload, but he was right I should point that out in the video.

Another friend also pointed out that not everybody wants to seat the primer with a c-clamp so I should show how to put the anvil back in first, for those who want to prime off the press, or use a hand primer.

Here is a link to the current video
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7nphPRG6JA]YouTube - reloading primers[/ame]

further suggestions would be helpful! Feel free to crack wise, we are all having fun here!

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    +1 For Delmar

Found the video and the whole idea interesting. I guess where there is a will there is a way. I still have about 1,000 primers so I don't have to buy matches yet. But now you told the world.....Next will be match hoarding!
    Greedy bastards will be buying all the matches and asking outragious prices!!!

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Found the video and the whole idea interesting. I guess where there is a will there is a way. I still have about 1,000 primers so I don't have to buy matches yet. But now you told the world.....Next will be match hoarding!
    Greedy bastards will be buying all the matches and asking outragious prices!!!
    I'm down to 200-300 primers and can't find any around here. Couldn't afford the luxury of waiting

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Have you ever thought of getting a muzzle loading rifle or pistol.
    I had a few...my favorite was a 1858 Remington Reproduction.
    With casting my own bullets...it was a hobby in itself....lots of fun and smoke.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Have you ever thought of getting a muzzle loading rifle or pistol.
    I had a few...my favorite was a 1858 Remington Reproduction.
    With casting my own bullets...it was a hobby in itself....lots of fun and smoke.
    I hadn't really considered that. Do they tend to be very expensive?

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I think it could be very useful knowledge. Might come a time we all might need to do this type thing. Even the black power guys with their caps or fine powder for primer powder.

Top Bottom