• ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I figured as much.

So does anyone make something that is 9mm, relatively small, sa/da with a decocking lever, that does not have an external hammer? I haven't seen one with my limited searching.

The Taurus 709 Slim has an external safety. I carry one in the chamber with the safety on. I must release the safety before firing. If it fails to fire, I pull the trigger again. It is a combined SA/DA. It has no hammer. I think it would meet your needs. I know the weapon has some bad PR. I had trouble with it when I bought it used from and INGOer. I contacted Taurus customer service. They had me send it back. They fixed and covered all the costs. Works perfectly with many types of ammo.

Try it.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    The Taurus 709 Slim has an external safety. I carry one in the chamber with the safety on. I must release the safety before firing. If it fails to fire, I pull the trigger again. It is a combined SA/DA. It has no hammer. I think it would meet your needs. I know the weapon has some bad PR. I had trouble with it when I bought it used from and INGOer. I contacted Taurus customer service. They had me send it back. They fixed and covered all the costs. Works perfectly with many types of ammo.

Try it.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I've already looked into most taurus guns, and I want to be able to specifically decock the gun and then have the double action trigger pull. It's impossible to do that with the 709.

I guess I can say this another way, I want to carry the new gun loaded in the chamber, but I want to have the long trigger pull for the first shot. I don't feel as comfortable having a single action gun "cocked and locked". one slight movement of the safety and one slight movement of the trigger (provided it has no grip or trigger safety) and the gun would go off. Even if it had other safeties (like a 1911 grip safety or a glock trigger safety) I still feel like I could inadvertently fire the gun when in a high stress situation, due to adrenaline/nerves or a physical struggle.

With a double action pull, I feel that the accidental discharge is less likely. Yes I know the single action would kick in afterwords, but chances are that if I've already purposefully pulled the trigger once, I'm likely to be ready to do it again.

You might be thinking, why not get a double action only gun. Well, I like the single action pull for when I'm actively firing the gun. I like the double action pull for when I'm "considering" pulling the trigger.

I'm picky, I know... :dunno:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    If that Bersa is small enough for you, you may want to check the Ruger P95. Not overly small, but not a giant either. Blued runs run under $350.

sur+rifle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Warrick, IN
    So does anyone make something that is 9mm, relatively small, sa/da with a decocking lever, that does not have an external hammer? I haven't seen one with my limited searching.

Yes. Walther P99 compact AS and Smith & Wesson SW99 compact. They are excellent firearms. Here is how the trigger mechanism works: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyOZN_44Xd4]YouTube - Walther P99 AS Trigger[/ame] You can decock it for carrying in DA mode (~11 lbs - long pull). After the first shot, you will be in SA mode (~5 lbs - short pull). You can also set it for AS mode which is an in-between state with the pull length of the DA mode and but the pull weight of the SA mode.

I carry the Walther P99c. After over 2500 rounds it has had no failures ever (no FTFs, FTEs, etc). It is very compact yet carries 10 rounds. The specs are:

3.5 inch barrel
    6.6 inches long
    4.3 inches high
    1.3 inches wide
    18.7 ounces

It is also +P rated. It breaks down in 2 seconds for cleaning without any tools needed. You can find them used for less than $400 and new for $600 to $700. When I bought mine, they were selling new for $425 but growing demand and shrinking supplies have driven the prices higher.

MAHamlin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    A few others mentioned it as well, but I want to put my vote in for the Sig P239 as well. It fits all of your criteria, is easily concealable, accurate, feels good, and shouldn't let you down. A new P239 is probably out of your price range, but Sig's are pretty durable and I wouldn't be afraid of buying used and just refreshing the springs and doing a detailed cleaning. If I recall correctly, there was a Sig P239 in the WTS forum on this website not too long ago for $550. Looked like it was in great shape, too! And since you don't seem to be in a great hurry, you should be able to take your time and find the right (read: good) deal.

Anyhow, something to think about.

shawnfox12

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    greenfield in,
    when u get in to sub compact the muzzle lift is close to a full size and subs and less acc. due to shor barrle (i have a sub i know ) if u want a 9mm get a xdm it has 3 diffrent plam grips u can change your self and they hold a ton of ammo and has a ton of freebees all for about 550 bucks

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I got my Bersa 9UC for about $350 last year at Beech Grove Firearms. You should be able to talk the dealer that wanted $400 down a bit...

BTW, I LOVE my Bersa 9. It has been FLAWLESS. I even tried to make it jam, fail, etc by limp wristing it and firing it off as fast as I could.

Personally, I think Bersa's are the best deal in their price range.

Top Bottom