• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Maybe it's me or the fact that I'm used to revolvers. But Double action means that you pull the trigger, which sets the hammer for you and then releases it.

Single action means you have to cock the hammer separately, and then pull the trigger.

double action only would mean that you can only pull the trigger (such as a hammer-less revolver)

I don't know if all glocks operate the same, but going by the definitions above, a glock would be single action only. As in you have to cock it first (by racking the slide) before fireing. Each firing cocking it again for you.

Apparently one of us is mis-informed.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    But why do you need to decock it? I think there's more risk of catching the hammer on something or accidentally releasing it during the decocking process than there is of pulling the trigger on a gun with a hidden hammer.

All of the guns I've seen or handled, that have a decocking lever, have a hammer block that rotates into blocking mode when you use the lever.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    What are your reasons for this preference? Unless you practice ALOT at the range and get used to quickly cocking the pistol and firing DA, then a subsequent SA, under stress you risk harming others than the BG. SA/DA is fine if you practice with that harder trigger at the range, but otherwise I'd just say stick with a good no-safeties-ready-to-go DOA such as a Glock, Kel-
    Tec, etc, for personal defense - nothing to hinder you in a sudden draw.

The long heavy trigger pull every time is the only safety,like a Kel-Tec P-11. Not a bad idea in a crisis situation. If your used to the trigger pull, you don't have to think about taking off a safety.

Also, another thing. With the style of pistol I want, if I'm carrying hammer down and suddenly need to use it, I don't need to cock it, I just pull the trigger which cocks and releases the hammer for me, like a revolver. A round will already be in the chamber, after I have decocked it.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Jason,

What's your budget? You sort of get at it a bit in your OP, but that would help narrow things down.

The 'classic' SIGs, for example, have exactly the type of action you want DA/SA w/decocker, but are on the more expensive end of things. The P229 is a little longer and significantly heavier than the PK380 to which you're comparing things. Frankly, I don't consider it very "compact". Of the striker pistols mentioned, the CW9 and G19 are fairly close in physical size to the PK380 (the CW9 is lighter and narrower) and are less expensive, but don't have the action you prefer.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Apparently one of us is mis-informed.

That'd be you. :) Glocks and some other striker fired designs don't fit into the classic mechanical definitions of "single action" and "double action." Some, you might say, are "partially cocked" and you finish the job with the trigger, others are more like the traditional DA, but with lower trigger pull weights.

Glocks have kind of an "in between" action, as it were, although I can understand the confusion since they have relatively light trigger pulls compared to DA handguns.

You may perfer a certain action because that's what you're comfortable with or prefer, but it's important to realize that all these modern designs from reputable mfgs are safe to carry with a round chambered.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Jason,

What's your budget? You sort of get at it a bit in your OP, but that would help narrow things down.

The 'classic' SIGs, for example, have exactly the type of action you want DA/SA w/decocker, but are on the more expensive end of things. The P229 is a little longer and significantly heavier than the PK380 to which you're comparing things. Frankly, I don't consider it very "compact". Of the striker pistols mentioned, the CW9 and G19 are fairly close in physical size to the PK380 (the CW9 is lighter and narrower) and are less expensive, but don't have the action you prefer.
    I'm not sure what my budget is, it depends how my significant other is feeling :D

It'd be nice to keep it under $500. All HKs and most Walthers are out of that price range though.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    So, you're looking for choices in a DA/SA, hammer fired 9mm (preferably with a decocker) about the size of a Walther PK380 for less than $500. Does that describe it?

Would you settle for a safety lever that's also a decocker, but once it's decocked you carry with the "safety" off?

New or used?

BTW - the budget is going to take SIG out of the running, as well, unless you find a used one.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    That'd be you. :) Glocks and some other striker fired designs don't fit into the classic mechanical definitions of "single action" and "double action." Some, you might say, are "partially cocked" and you finish the job with the trigger, others are more like the traditional DA, but with lower trigger pull weights.

Glocks have kind of an "in between" action, as it were, although I can understand the confusion since they have relatively light trigger pulls compared to DA handguns.

You may perfer a certain action because that's what you're comfortable with or prefer, but it's important to realize that all these modern designs from reputable mfgs are safe to carry with a round chambered.

I figured as much.

So does anyone make something that is 9mm, relatively small, sa/da with a decocking lever, that does not have an external hammer? I haven't seen one with my limited searching.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    So, you want a DA/SA, hammer fired 9mm (preferably with a decocker) about the size of a Walther PK380 for less than $500. Does that describe it?

Would you settle for a safety lever that's also a decocker, but once it's decocked you carry with the "safety" off?
    That describes it, although I might be able to go above $500 for the right pistol.

I expect most guns that have a decocking lever, that same lever would function as the safety as well. I know the pk380 safety/hammer block lever does not decock, but it makes it relatively safe to let the hammer down.

So I'd swing either way with the lever :D

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The Bersa Thunder 9 comes close, although its 3+ oz. heavier than the PK380. The safety can be used to decock the hammer. And, it's in your price range - new - $300-$400.

http://www.bersafirearmsusa.com/pdf/manual45940.pdf

The classic SIGs have a decocker only, no manual safety. Revolvers don't have so-called "safety" levers, and DA/SA autos don't need them either - for the same reason - the long heavy first trigger pull.

BTW - lots of autos have a decocker and no "safety" lever.

Last edited:

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    I have a XD9 sub compact and love it. Nothing wrong with the ruger sr9c.

Go with what is comfy for you. Shop around, try the fit, go with what you like.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    The Bersa Thunder 9 comes close, although its 3+ oz. heavier than the PK380. The safety can be used to decock the hammer. And, it's in your price range - new.

http://www.bersafirearmsusa.com/pdf/manual45940.pdf

The classic SIGs have a decocker only, no manual safety. Revolvers don't have so-called "safety" levers, and DA/SA autos don't need them either - for the same reason - the long heavy first trigger pull.

BTW - lots of autos have a decocker and no "safety" lever.
    I don't need the safety, I just wanna be able to carry chambered, hammer down, using the double action pull for the first shot.

All of the da/sa autos I'm familiar with have a combo safety/decocking lever. Mainly speaking of most walthers, HKs, and my pa-63 (walther ppk clone)

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Anyone have any opinions on the Bersa Thunder 9mm ultra compact.?

That seems like it's right up my alley. Lots of good reviews on BudsGunShop.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    I just read somewhere that the bersa thunder 9 is double action only,

just to clarify, does that mean only on the first shot, or all the time?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I have enjoyed people telling you what you should buy, instead of giving you suggestions that fit your stated wishes :rolleyes: Folks, the world won't frigging end just because some folks don't like striker fired guns! The triggers on them flat out suck wind, and not everyone wants to carry around what is, in effect, a single action gun with a long crappy trigger and no manual safety. It'll be OK, that's why they make different kinds of guns!

For the record, I also like the DA/SA guns. Depending on your budget, one gun you may wish to check out is the Sig 239. If you can find a used one, a S&W 3913 is a very nice gun, though the hammers are bobbed so you can't cock it for the first shot if you wish.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    I have enjoyed people telling you what you should buy, instead of giving you suggestions that fit your stated wishes :rolleyes: Folks, the world won't frigging end just because some folks don't like striker fired guns! The triggers on them flat out suck wind, and not everyone wants to carry around what is, in effect, a single action gun with a long crappy trigger and no manual safety. It'll be OK, that's why they make different kinds of guns!

For the record, I also like the DA/SA guns. Depending on your budget, one gun you may wish to check out is the Sig 239. If you can find a used one, a S&W 3913 is a very nice gun, though the hammers are bobbed so you can't cock it for the first shot if you wish.
    I like the price point of the bersa a lot better, but thanks for the suggestion.

Actually, thanks to everybody for all of their opinions. I think I'm gonna set about to fondling up a bersa thunder 9.

Top Bottom