• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I have enjoyed people telling you what you should buy, instead of giving you suggestions that fit your stated wishes :rolleyes: ... . If you can find a used one, a S&W 3913 is a very nice gun, though the hammers are bobbed so you can't cock it for the first shot if you wish.

Yeah, sort of one of those :dunno: threads.

FWIW, I've heard of folks replacing the 3913 hammers. A 5906 hammer can be made to work from what I've heard (I've never actually done it myself). An older generation S&W is a good idea. I hadn't gotten that far in my thought process yet!

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Get over the need for an exposed hammer.In my opinion a steel framed Kahr is about as good as it gets.A good holster is almost as important as the weapon you carry and will distribute weight properly.Galco leather,flat handgun= comfortable carry.

jdg0724

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Plainfield
    Taurus just came out with a new "slim" design 9mm compact pistol. it has a great feel to it. It is about the same size as the PT Millenium series pistols, but only has a single stack magazine opposed to a double stack, like the millenium series. The ergonomics of the millenium series was great, but Taurus even improved on them with the "slim" pistol. It has a moderate price. Here at Plainfield Shooting Supplies, I believe you can pick one up in the mid $400 range.

right2arms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    a cz rami sounds like it would fit the bill of hammer, DA/SA giving you the cocked& locked or hammer down long trigger pull.

Or just go for the keltec, no need for a holster and it is tiny, reliable, and cheap.

thompbarn

Plinker
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Jun 9, 2010
    Anybody get to hold a Rohrbaugh? Yeah, I know it's really expensive, but if you're trusting your life to it?

I would also like a compact 9 mm. Keep hoping the Boberg will finally materialize.

stmoore

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Indy
    Have a look at the beretta compact. you can find used LE trades for $380 - $400. (I am not talking about the PX4 - SC, however they are releasing a PX4 compact which is the side of a G-19).

They are no longer made, but offer several interesting options.
    G - Decock only
    F - Decock / Safety
    D - DAO

In addition, they have an M configuration which leverages a single stack 8 round mag instead of the traditional 13 round compact magazine.

Let me know if you have any questions. I own all of the above.

I purchased this exact gun (92FS compact) for around $426 on gunbroker (a steal) maybe 2 years ago. This included all shipping and FFL fees.

_MG_1856.jpg

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Another under $500 option (if you know where to shop, i.e. $490-ish) might be a Beretta PX4 Storm 3". It's SA/DA with an exposed hammer.

However, it is significantly heavier (approx. 7 oz) and 0.2" wider (it's a thick-ish, double stack) than your PK380 basis for comparison.

Not sure how important those factors are to you.

Specs: 6.22" L x 4.8" H x 1.4" W, 3" bbl, 26.1 oz, 13+1 cap.

Px4 Storm Subcompact Type F

Last edited:

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Size isn't all that important, I just like the size of the pk380. As long as it's somewhere within those lines I'm fine with it.

As far as those bersas go, seems I'll have to pay a little over $400 one way or another. I either find a used one and ffl it in, and shipping adds up. Or local dealers charge more.

Like I said I'll probably just wait till the next 1500 and see if I can find a good deal there.

stmoore

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Indy
    good deal at the 1500? is that possible?

Size isn't all that important, I just like the size of the pk380. As long as it's somewhere within those lines I'm fine with it.

As far as those bersas go, seems I'll have to pay a little over $400 one way or another. I either find a used one and ffl it in, and shipping adds up. Or local dealers charge more.

Like I said I'll probably just wait till the next 1500 and see if I can find a good deal there.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    It depends on where you shop locally as to the deal you'll find. I'm always amazed at what the folks at the 1500 are asking for their stuff. Sure, there are deals there, but not usually on brand new or popular pistols. I've seen folks at the 1500 asking upwards of $349 for a Bersa 380 used when you can pick the same gun up over at Bradis new for around $299.

garydh1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    jason867, you might consider a S&W 908, it functions exactly as you describe. I found one at Midwest Gun Exchange in Mishawaka for $485. Single stack, accurate and excellent concealment with the right holster.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Just looked at a new bersa 9 uc at Ludco in Parker city, feels pretty nice. They were wanting $400 though.

I'd always heard that place was packed full of guns, but I'd never imagined people weren't exaggerating! I think they had more in there than Pop guns. But half the floor space...

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    I have fired my dad's taurus 1911 a lot. It's nice, fun to shoot, and I'm accurate with it. It's recoil doesn't hurt, even with +P stuff, but the muzzle flip is more than I'd like for carrying. That and it's just plain too big to carry comfortably.

So, any recommendations?

Please look at and hold and shoot if possible a colt Defender. They come in both 9mm and 45 ACP.

Top Bottom