• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Right now my carry piece is a taurus 85 ultralite 38sp+P. I love the gun, it's accurate for me, and the short barrel gold dots I load it with don't hurt my hand too much. I carry it in a pocket holster comfortably.

However, lately I've been jonesing for an autoloader for carrying.

I have fired my dad's taurus 1911 a lot. It's nice, fun to shoot, and I'm accurate with it. It's recoil doesn't hurt, even with +P stuff, but the muzzle flip is more than I'd like for carrying. That and it's just plain too big to carry comfortably.

I've fired my dad's glock 23 in .40S&W. I can shoot it accurately, it's recoil doesn't hurt, but it's still more muzzle flip than I'd like. I don't care for how the trigger breaks, it feels like a spring powered plastic bb gun. I'd still prefer a slightly smaller gun as well.

At this past 1500, my dad bought a Walther PK380. I absolutely love this gun! It feels great in my hand (my dad agrees, that's why he bought it). I love how it can be carried with one in the chamber with the hammer down. Double action first pull, single action the rest of the way. If a round doesn't fire I can just pull the trigger again for another primer strike. I'd prefer the safety lever to function as a decocking lever as well (like the famous ppk). The thing is very fun to shoot.

The only thing keeping me from buying one for carrying, is the fact that it's a 380. I feel like I'm stepping down in power from a 38+P.

So what I'm looking for is a compact 9mm pistol that is similar in fit, function, and feel to a PK380.

I didn't feel up many guns at the show because I was pre-occupied with other things (lever action 357, which I didn't find a good deal on :( ) I guess I should have.

I see that Walther has a few 9mm pistols, but they're double the price and I'm not sure they function the same.

So, any recommendations?

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I have a Walther PPS, which, as you note, isn't the least expensive. You're correct in that it doesn't function like the PPK or PK380, in that it is "striker fired." Kel Tec and Kahr both make subcompact 9's similar in size to the Walther PPS, and similar in function.

You might want to look into a CZ 2075 RAMI, if you want a subcompact 9 that's DA/SA.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Kahr CW9 - 5.9" L x 4.5" H x 0.9" W, 3.6" bbl, 17.7 oz., 7+1 cap. ($406 at Bud's).

Specs for comparison:
    PK380 - 6.2" L x 5.2" H x 1.2" W, 3.66" bbl, 19.4 oz, 8+1 cap.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I've had really great experience in carrying my Kel-Tec P-11. You can probably find one for around $270. It's no-frills, no safeties, DAO pistol made purely for self-defense. Being small and lightweight, it definitely is no target gun, but will do the job effectively anytime within 10 yards. I practice with FMJ rounds and carry with Corbon PowRBall. I prefer the P-11 to their newer PF-9, only because I can carry 10 + 1. There is not that much difference in size or weight so I prefer the extra capacity.

Sometimes I also carry my Ruger LCP...so not sure if you've considered that one as well. It too is no-frills and is an excellent pocket pistol wearing shorts and a t-shirt

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    I really want to stick to 9mm, and I really want to have an exposed hammer so that I can carry it chambered, but hammer down. If needed I can pull it out and shoot double action the first time, single action every time after.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Glock 33 is my favorite right now
    Glock 26
    Sig P6
    Sig 228
    Colt LW Commander
    Colt Officers
    I could list more but these are some I use.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I really want to stick to 9mm, and I really want to have an exposed hammer so that I can carry it chambered, but hammer down. If needed I can pull it out and shoot double action the first time, single action every time after.

Why do you need to have an exposed hammer to carry it chambered?:popcorn:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If you MUST have an external hammer, then look into CZ's line of RAMI pistols. They're pretty small, and there's even a polymer version.

But don't get hung up on having a hammer. There are DOZENS and dozens of other options, both striker fired and DAO (have a hammer, but no SA option)

-J-

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I too am trying to understand why you need an exposed hammer? Not saying there is anything wrong with it, just dont know why it is so important to you. I carry with one in the chamber in a Glock with no problems.

Compact or subcompact 9mm pistols I like:
    Glock 26
    Ruger sr9c
    Springfield xd9 compact or subcompact
    Keltec p11
    Taurus also makes several compact 9mm pistols that I like. They get mixed reviews by many as far as quality, but I have never personally had any problems with anything from Taurus. Good luck with you decision :ingo:

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    It's my understanding that pistols that fire in both single and double action mode can only be decocked if they have an exposed hammer. Otherwise, the da/sa function is there just for double-striking hard primers.

I would prefer to carry a gun chambered, but not cocked. The first shot would be a long double action pull, but afterward all would be single action (provide all the primers fired)

What I'm trying to describe is exactly how the walther ppk, and mostly the pk380, operate. Decocking lever, first pull double action, subsequent pulls are single action. Unless I'm not understanding terms correctly, all if not most of the pistols that are striker fired or have no external hammer can not be decocked. The da/sa function is only there for double strikes of the primer.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    HK's have the decocking lever. Perhaps look into the P2000 SK (which I consider a subcompact) or the USPc (which I call a compact) or the P2000 (another compact). I personally carry the USPc, but only after shooting and handling different makes/models of handguns. It wasn't an easy decision, but the USPc just felt right.

seawolfxix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    Kansas City
    But why do you need to decock it? I think there's more risk of catching the hammer on something or accidentally releasing it during the decocking process than there is of pulling the trigger on a gun with a hidden hammer.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I would prefer to carry a gun chambered, but not cocked. The first shot would be a long double action pull, but afterward all would be single action (provide all the primers fired)

What are your reasons for this preference? Unless you practice ALOT at the range and get used to quickly cocking the pistol and firing DA, then a subsequent SA, under stress you risk harming others than the BG. SA/DA is fine if you practice with that harder trigger at the range, but otherwise I'd just say stick with a good no-safeties-ready-to-go DOA such as a Glock, Kel-
    Tec, etc, for personal defense - nothing to hinder you in a sudden draw.

The long heavy trigger pull every time is the only safety,like a Kel-Tec P-11. Not a bad idea in a crisis situation. If your used to the trigger pull, you don't have to think about taking off a safety.

Top Bottom