• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    A great afternoon at the range Sunday. It was hot, but we were swilling cold iced tea, swapping war stories and shooting our, and each others, pistols. I have a KelTec P-11 I carry once and a while, otherwise it's in the drawer of my bedside table. It was time to feed it fresh ammo and shoot out the old.

I swapped with my friend for his XD 9mm. He shot one magazine and handed it back,shaking his hand and exclaiming that it just plain hurt to shoot it. Granted it has always been pretty zippy, and it is not the most comfortable pistol I have, but I never considered it painful. Of course the other guys insisted on trying it. One said, yes it hurts; the other said it was close.

I'd be interested in what others have experienced. Yes, it is small and light, so maybe that makes it harder to handle recoil, especially with SD ammo. So, am I in denial here?:dunno:

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Much depends upon the fit to the hand. For instance, a friend has Bersa 380 that fits very poorly to the dimensions of my hand and even though the round isn't that powerful compared to the 40 S&W I fire out of a 3 inch, the Bersa is uncomfortable for me to fire. It doesn't hurt me per se. I suppose that it might 'bone bruise' me with an extended shooting session though.

Keep in mind that I am a pretty good sized guy and typically fire anything from .40-.45 and have never felt 'hurt' with any weapon in those calibers. However, they all fit my hand and the Bersa does not!

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I'm rather fond of recoil in a handgun. I particularly enjoy TC contenders. I've never shot a Desert Eagle of S&W .500 but would like to.

GI 1911 grip safeties dig into my hand quite a bit. A couple of magazines leave me bleeding. Though that is less about recoil and more about my grip and the way my hands fit a 1911.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    All of my big bore guns hurt me when I shoot them now because I have arthritis.
    I ignore it and shoot them anyway.
    That's why God made aspirin! :)
    Mike

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I found that my XD 40sc can hurt if I don't use proper wrist control. Also, it is considerably noticeable if I use the tip of my finger, rather than the crease of my trigger finger, after a while. I do not have that problem with any of my other guns, though.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    The only thing I would consider 'painful' would be shooting 158 grain loads out of a S&W M&P 340PD (13.5 oz, Scandian-framed) .357mag. Brutal...would be my definition. Shoot it for practice, not very often...caused bruising on the base of the thumb after 5-10 rounds. Shooting in self-defense...I doubt I'd even feel it due to the adrenaline rush and nerves. :dunno:

Shooting 158 grain rounds out of an SP101 (26 oz.) is somewhat easier, but not great. That round itself, I reserve for my GP100 (6") for hunting purposes. :twocents:

After experience, I limit personal-defense rounds to 125 grain or smaller in a short-barreled revolver. :rockwoot:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yep I have bruised my hand on more then one occasion. Usually something light and/or thin. Walther PPK/S is one a remember. KelTec PF9 is rather sharp. Ultralight 38+P snubbies can be a handful. On the other side I don't remember enjoying the 500 S&W all that much.

NealWright

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    The .500 wasn't bad ... even the short barrel still weighs a couple pounds. I've shot some VERY hot .45's in a blackhawk that caught my hand if I didn't hold right. General consensus is that S&W340PD is the worst ... I won't even shoot one:-) My Airweight with moderate 158g 38spl loads is very easy though.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    On the Kel-tec PF9, I have one, very accurate and yes it does snap briskly but it doesn't bother me because I seldom need to shoot it. I've shot it enough to know it works and I don't need to shoot it at the range because I've got other guns for that but the PF9 is my carry gun. It's small, thin, lite and accurate and it's 9mm Luger.
    I had a Thompson Center Arms in 44 Rem Magnum, it was the light, 10 inch octagon model with a birdshot choke on the end of it. I only fired three shots out of it before I traded the barrel for a 10 inch round, heavy barrel. That thing stung my hand so bad that it still hurt the next day but the heavy barrel was a pleasure to shoot. Just a little extra weight was all it took.
    Now I still have a Smith & Wesson 629 that will rap my knuckle pretty bad on the trigger guard with heavy loads, so I don't.

10mm, when you care enough to send the very best.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I agree that Contender 10" Octagons in my experience are the worst I have ever shot. I had one in 45 Colt shooting 360gr at 1350 and 2 shots is all it took to convince myself to stick with cowboy loads in that barrel. Always get the second opinion, if the first one hurts bad try it once more.

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    My Ruger Alaskan in .454 is not my first choice for comfortable shooting. But, it is rare that I shoot the nasty stuff - the thing is regular kitten with .45 Colts.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I used to have an Intra-Tec .38spl+p Derringer w/ a 1-3/4" barrel that would plain rip your fingers off! That thing was hard to hold on to, and it beat the living daylights out of my palm.

On the other end of that spectrum, I have a Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull w/ 8-3/8" ported barrel that is just a dream to shoot! The over padded grip (standard), the porting, and the sheer weight of steel combine to make this a very pleasant handgun to shoot.

Go figure?

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I feel it a little when I shoot my .44 cap and ball revolvers, but I can't say it really hurts. i don't notice it at all on my Hi Point .45. That heavy slide really soaks up the energy!

Rich.Carpenter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Fishers
    My Springfield XD .40 isn't uncomfortable at all. It's got some recoil, but its size and weight help to manage it pretty well. Some of the pocket pistols I've held did seem like they might be uncomfortable to shoot.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I used to own a PT-145 but I sold it off at the Kokomo gun show last year because it was painful for me to shoot. It's snappy recoil used to abrade the top of my thumb on the bone just back of the web. Never had that problem shooting .45's out of a 1911.

Top Bottom