• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    This is a very good point, something that honestly I didn't think about as I'm always very careful while loading/unloading.

I carry my Glock 17 with 16rds in the magazine, and one in chamber, and have been working out of my box of 20 GoldDots. So I have been cycling the 4 left-overs between the round that I chamber each time. I'm trying to keep the cost of my SD ammo down as much as possible as I'm working on a College student's budget. The more I save on SD ammo, the more target ammo I can afford. That said, there isn't a price on safety, and you can't cut corners. I really liked JettaKnight's method, it seems reasonably affordable, especially if I don't unchamber as often.
    I find that unless i'm at the range the less I cycle a firearm and ammunition the better off I am. Especially in a home environment. :twocents:

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    So this is only a consideration for semi-auto bullets that have actually been chambered in the gun and then removed? The fact that I take the loaded magazine out on a regular basis to enter particular places doesn't matter right? I don't unload the magazine I just remove it from the gun.

Those of us who frequently load and unload our critical defense ammo in our revolvers have nothing to worry about right?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    So this is only a consideration for semi-auto bullets that have actually been chambered in the gun and then removed? The fact that I take the loaded magazine out on a regular basis to enter particular places doesn't matter right? I don't unload the magazine I just remove it from the gun.

Those of us who frequently load and unload our critical defense ammo in our revolvers have nothing to worry about right?
    That is correct. It is only referring to chambering and unloading a chambered round in a semi-automatic.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Correct on both counts, gungirl65.

Bullet setback would be caused by chambering the round in a semi-auto. Basically, forcing the bullet up the ramp and into the chamber may cause the bullet to be pushed ever so slightly back into the case.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Correct on both counts, gungirl65.

Bullet setback would be caused by chambering the round in a semi-auto. Basically, forcing the bullet up the ramp and into the chamber may cause the bullet to be pushed ever so slightly back into the case.

This is one of the awesome things about INGO, I would have never even thought of that as being an issue before reading this. Thanks for the valuable info guys.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I've been carrying more often, and at the end of the day, I unchamber my round and put the gun in the lock box. I know some of the manufacturers recommend against continually rechambering the same round repeatedly. So, what kind of a system to y'all use to change the rounds out, so you to rechamber the same round too much?

During the time you are loading or reloading your weapon is the most dangerous time you will spend with it short of pulling the trigger purposely.

You need to be training your kids NOW on how they should and should not act around your firearm.

If you have someone breaking in your front door, and you are sleeping, do you think he will wait on you while you retrieve your gun and load it up and make ready? Think you can do that quickly immediately after being awakened?

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Just measured my rounds that I have been carrying for around 3 months, Mind you I carry daily and chamber and rechamber DAILY!! ZERO additional seating, notta, not even .0001. been carrying this way for over 20 yrs. I call BS!! Do what you wish, and i'll keep doing what i've been doin for 20+yrs.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Just measured my rounds that I have been carrying for around 3 months, Mind you I carry daily and chamber and rechamber DAILY!! ZERO additional seating, notta, not even .0001. been carrying this way for over 20 yrs. I call BS!! Do what you wish, and i'll keep doing what i've been doin for 20+yrs.

Bet you met .001.... Heck, if you come in from a cool day out and unchamber your round, it would show more than a .0001 by just holding it in your palm for a few moments while warming up... :D

Like many already said, many factors play into whether you can get set back or not and at what degree, if so.

Case/mouth tension, the ride up the feed ramp, and at a lesser degree, crimp can play a small role.

If you have a full case of powder, it'll prevent that bullet from moving back. :D

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    What ammo, caliber, and gun? Just interested in knowing....

MooreALX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Hartford City
    When I first heard about setback, like a couple on here, I thought it was just a myth. Until I remember seeing it actually on Glock's site (although now that I go to refind it I can't). I just went and measured the 4 rounds that I've been cambering though it the last month, and, like hps, they were absolutely no different than the ones in the magazine which haven't ever been chambered (That was in my Glock 17, with Gold Dot 147gr).

I wonder if the affect can be seen more in guns without a tilting barrel?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Loading and removing cartridges from a magazine has its own set of issues totally unrelated. Many respected shooters will argue that spring wear and failure is not caused by a long term spring compression (i.e. leaving a mag fully loaded) but the repeated cycles of compression and release from use.

But, like others have said, removing and reinserting the mag is perfectly fine, but do make sure the mag is fully seated when reinserted - don't want to have to do a tap and rack procedure when the SHTF.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    There is an article in one of the current gun mags on the rack now. I can't remember which one off hand. I think it depends on manufacture of ammo and how you load your gun. If you let the slide go from lock and strip a round from the mag it will have more effect than if you ride the slide chambering the round.

I keep my EDC gun loaded and with me all the time so setback is not an issue. I have seen it in a friends XD40 with factory HP ammo.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I heard that Ayoob said that a prosecutor will send you to the chair if you use rechambered rounds in a SD shooting. He'll explain to the jury that such actions create so called "super bullets" that are banned by the Geneva Convention. No cop would ever posses super bullets because they are capable of penetrating 20 layers of body armor due to the high pressures of bullet setback. He'll also show that you remove cartridges at night and fondle them while smearing yourself in peanut butter and have homicidal tendencies.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I heard that Ayoob said that a prosecutor will send you to the chair if you use rechambered rounds in a SD shooting. He'll explain to the jury that such actions create so called "super bullets" that are banned by the Geneva Convention. No cop would ever posses super bullets because they are capable of penetrating 20 layers of body armor due to the high pressures of bullet setback. He'll also show that you remove cartridges at night and fondle them while smearing yourself in peanut butter and have homicidal tendencies.
    I guess they just shoot you on the spot if you are carrying RECHAMBERED-RELOADS then!!:D

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart

This is a load of crap! I don't have any homicidal tendencies!

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    The only reason I ever remove a round from the chamber unfired is because those +P hollowpoints are $1+ each and I don't want to use them at the range poking holes in cardboard IDPA targets.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    The only time I rechamber the same round is either after I take the gun through Chicago or after I clean the gun

Top Bottom