• Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Here's my letter, to Steve Buyer.

Good day, sir. I am writing in regard to the bill of which I've just become aware, H 6257, regarding the "reauthorization" of the "assault weapons" ban. Mr. Buyer, I ask you to vote against any bill proposing to control private citizens' access to small arms. The original law that this seeks to "reauthorize" was a failure from the outset and does not deserve the consideration of the Congress, not to mention the small detail of both versions of it being in violation of the Constitution. Rather than focus on inanimate objects, let's instead concentrate on punishing those guilty of violent crimes. Again, I ask you to vote generally against any bill restricting the rights of peaceable Americans and specifically against H 6257, and encourage other Congresspersons to do likewise.
    Thank you for your time and consideration.
    (name and city redacted)

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I emailed Baron Hill a letter very similar to Lars' :wavey: I also sent a modified letter to Luger and Bayh informing them what to do in case it, or any other like it, comes into the Senate. I figured it was better to at least get the ball rolling on our side just in case this thing gets some anti momentum.

:twocents:

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Here's my letter, to Steve Buyer.

Good day, sir. I am writing in regard to the bill of which I've just become aware, H 6257, regarding the "reauthorization" of the "assault weapons" ban. Mr. Buyer, I ask you to vote against any bill proposing to control private citizens' access to small arms. The original law that this seeks to "reauthorize" was a failure from the outset and does not deserve the consideration of the Congress, not to mention the small detail of both versions of it being in violation of the Constitution. Rather than focus on inanimate objects, let's instead concentrate on punishing those guilty of violent crimes. Again, I ask you to vote generally against any bill restricting the rights of peaceable Americans and specifically against H 6257, and encourage other Congresspersons to do likewise.
    Thank you for your time and consideration.
    (name and city redacted)

Ooh.. I like that one. Mind if I utilize a good chunk of that when I write my letter to Mr. Burton?

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Yeah, the other one was titled a bit oddly, and definitely had some of that tinfoil-hatness vibe to it lol. I almost skipped over it, but then was like "lets have a good laugh." Pretty surprised it ended with some letters to officials lol.

:patriot:

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    This is my first attempt at writing a letter. It may sound similar to Bill's and Lars', but they had good points that I wanted to address as well.

Opinions? TIA

Mr. Carson, I hope this letter finds you well. I am writing in reference to H 6257, which I have just been notified is seeking to reauthorize the Assault Weapons Ban. This very much upsets me. Not only because it would effect my ability to protect and defend my family, but the fact that it is a breach of the Constitution. The previous Assault Weapons Ban did nothing to prevent crime committed by unlawful gun owners. However, if I may suggest concentrating efforts elsewhere and against those liable of violent crimes instead of limiting the rights of law-abiding Americans.

It would be against my morals to vote for someone that wishes to limit the rights of Americans, which includes the rights protected by the 2nd Amendment. I am asking that you vote against any legislation that would restrict the rights of law-abiding Americans and namely H 6257, and encourage other Congresspersons to follow suit.
    Your time and consideration is appreciated, thank you.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Faxed to my Rep.:

Rep. Burton,

It has recently come to my attention that a new bill has been introduced into the US House of Representatives: H.R.6257, the Assault Weapons Ban Reauthorization Act of 2008 sponsored by Rep. Mark Kirk [R-IL] and currently referred to the Committee on the Judiciary (LOC reference [noparse]http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c110:H.R.6257:[/noparse] ).

The previous assault weapon ban of 1994 was a bad idea. It was unwanted by most Americans and it did nothing to reduce gun-related crime. It was allowed to expire in 2004 precisely for these reasons. Its passage has been suggested as one of the major factors in the ending of the terms of office for its original supporters and the resulting shift in the balance of power in the U.S. Legislature. This new proposed ban will be more of the same. It will hurt nobody but the law-abiding and do nothing to stop criminals.

Mr Burton, I am a supporter of the Second Amendment and a law-abiding Citizen and I see this bill as a direct attack on my Constitutional Rights. As such, I expect you, as my Representative, to uphold your sworn oath to protect the U.S. Constitution and do everything in your power to oppose this bill and any similar bills. We already have too many gun control laws in this country and none of them do anything but make it more difficult for me to protect myself and my family. Please tell me how you intend to put a stop to this bill.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I wish I could afford to buy one or two of those on the list - just in case - now. :patriot:

We have to vote all those anti-American (bleeeeeps) out of office ASAP!

(praying to win the lottery. :))

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Surprisingly, it's not the usual suspect (McCarthy). This time the introducing party is a Republican Representative from Illinois:
    Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
    GovTrack: H.R. 6257: Text of Legislation

Can't even trust Republicans from Illinois. Damn. Must be something like the "Republican" mayor of NY. Or the "Republican" governor of Kalifornia.

(I'll post my replies here if you don't mind Cougar. That other one may have beat you to the board with the news, but it's awful hard to decide when and when they aren't "crying wolf," or "the sky is falling.")

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Ooh.. I like that one. Mind if I utilize a good chunk of that when I write my letter to Mr. Burton?

I don't mind, but if they get a whole bunch of letters that are basically "form letters" they do with them the same thing we do: round file. :p

This is my first attempt at writing a letter. It may sound similar to Bill's and Lars', but they had good points that I wanted to address as well.

Opinions? TIA

Mr. Carson, I hope this letter finds you well. I am writing in reference to H 6257, which I have just been notified is seeking to reauthorize the Assault Weapons Ban. This very much upsets me. Not only because it would effect my ability to protect and defend my family, but the fact that it is a breach of the Constitution. The previous Assault Weapons Ban did nothing to prevent crime committed by unlawful gun owners. However, if I may suggest concentrating efforts elsewhere and against those liable of violent crimes instead of limiting the rights of law-abiding Americans.

It would be against my morals to vote for someone that wishes to limit the rights of Americans, which includes the rights protected by the 2nd Amendment. I am asking that you vote against any legislation that would restrict the rights of law-abiding Americans and namely H 6257, and encourage other Congresspersons to follow suit.
    Your time and consideration is appreciated, thank you.

Good letter, but Carson? Ouch. Good luck with that. :rolleyesedit::dunno:

Oops! That's right! I did too. (Darn old timer's disease!) :rolleyesedit:
    (Now, where did I put those papers?) :ugh:

Papers? Vehr are your papers?! Ausweiss, bitte! (Oh, that's right, this is still America, for as much longer as she lasts. :patriot:No slam on you, flagtag.)

Blessings, all

B

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I got a response via Mail from Dan Burton today.....

DBPageSnippet.jpg

DBPage1cens.jpg

DBPage2cens.jpg

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I don't mind, but if they get a whole bunch of letters that are basically "form letters" they do with them the same thing we do: round file. :p

Good letter, but Carson? Ouch. Good luck with that. :rolleyesedit::dunno:

Papers? Vehr are your papers?! Ausweiss, bitte! (Oh, that's right, this is still America, for as much longer as she lasts. :patriot:No slam on you, flagtag.)

Blessings, all

B

:lmfao: Good one! :rockwoot:

Top Bottom