• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Very interesting response indeed... The thing that jumped out most at me was the fact that he recognized our 2A rights and his next phrase started with "and", not "but".
    "I strongly believe in every Americans Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms and I will be carefully scrutinizing any gun-related legislation brought before the House of Representatives to ensure that it does not unfairly and unnecessarily infringe upon that constitutionally protected right."

I have not looked at Mr. Burton's voting record, but I am a bit disturbed that the language he uses still leaves room for some infringement. It also is a bit disquieting that he does not capitalize "Constitutionally". Be that as it may, semantic and grammatical errors aside, it sounds like he generally has the right idea. I hope that in a few months when I get a reply from Mr. Buyer, it is equally or more positive.

Blessings,
    B

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    So ignoring the Infowars crap..... I did send this message off to my representative.

Writing not being my strong suit, I still think it gets the point across.

my mac corrected your errors automatically.....:rolleyesedit:

fixed said:
    Dear Congressman Burton

Regarding H.R.6257.

The Congress even considering bringing back the flawed assault weapons ban exceptionally disheartens me. This ban did nothing to prevent unlawful gun owners from using weapons to commit crimes. The only people affected by bad gun laws, is law-abiding citizens.

As a believer in the second amendment, and my own responsibility to defend my family I am fully against any legislation that further limits our right to own firearms. I will not vote for someone who supports limiting our rights. As such a vote is to make me a more likely victim of violent crime.

Letter sent to Congressman Pence.....:)

Last edited:

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Very interesting response indeed... The thing that jumped out most at me was the fact that he recognized our 2A rights and his next phrase started with "and", not "but".

I have not looked at Mr. Burton's voting record, but I am a bit disturbed that the language he uses still leaves room for some infringement. It also is a bit disquieting that he does not capitalize "Constitutionally". Be that as it may, semantic and grammatical errors aside, it sounds like he generally has the right idea. I hope that in a few months when I get a reply from Mr. Buyer, it is equally or more positive.

Blessings,
    B

fwiw... it has the standard secretary's signature on the bottom: DB/kb ... it's possible the typos and grammatical errors were by "kb" not "DB." I noticed them enough that it half crossed my mind to write him back to correct the typos in case the form letter was sent out to more than just us. ;)

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL

Blessings,
    B

He states that HE will scrutinize legislation to determine if it UNFAIRLY and/or UNNECESSARILY infringes.

What is HIS definition of unfair and unnecessary? (Think of all the anti-gunners - they think anyone owning guns is "unfair" and "unnecessary")
    Can he be trusted? I just don't like the way that is worded - leaves a lot of "violation" room.
    What do you think?

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Regarding Dan Burton.

GOA rates him for the 110th congress with an (A)

This website 2nd Amendment | Dan Burton for Congress
    Lists the following.
    THE PUBLIC RECORD:
    Congressman Burton's record defending the Second Amendment
    Gun Owners of America Scorecard
    Gun Owners of America (GOA) is a non-profit lobbying organization formed in 1975 to preserve and defend the Second Amendment rights of gun owners.
    2006 100%
    2005 75%
    2004 100%
    2003 100%
    2002 100%
    2001 100%
    2000 80%

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    fwiw... it has the standard secretary's signature on the bottom: DB/kb ... it's possible the typos and grammatical errors were by "kb" not "DB." I noticed them enough that it half crossed my mind to write him back to correct the typos in case the form letter was sent out to more than just us. ;)

FWIW, that's the exact same letter, word for word, that he sent me.

I guess the form letter was sent out to more than just us. ;)
    *ponders sending a typo-corrected letter back to him* :):

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    Just heard back from Mike Pence, I actually think he actually typed that up too.....lol.

he claimed to agree the ban on assault weapons was a joke as well. I liked how he said they called it the ban on Semiautomatic Assault Weapons(SAW's)

perhaps to bring to mind the m249 saw as what they were banning, pure idiocy

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I forgot about this thread until now. I got a response a few days ago:

Dear ___:

I am writing to you because you previously shared your strong concerns regarding veterans' issues with me...

The remainder of the letter addressed info on S. 1315.

I wrote back with the following:

I am in receipt of your form letter. Unfortunately, the letter I received addressed a different issue than the one about which I contacted you.

My letter is as follows:
    Good day, sir. I am writing in regard to the bill of which I've just become aware, H 6257, regarding the "reauthorization" of the "assault weapons" ban. Mr. Buyer, I ask you to vote against any bill proposing to control private citizens' access to small arms. The original law that this seeks to "reauthorize" was a failure from the outset and does not deserve the consideration of the Congress, not to mention the small detail of both versions of it being in violation of the Constitution. Rather than focus on inanimate objects, let's instead concentrate on punishing those guilty of violent crimes. Again, I ask you to vote generally against any bill restricting the rights of peaceable Americans and specifically against H 6257, and encourage other Congresspersons to do likewise.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

(name and address redacted)

The form letter from your office addressed my "strong concerns regarding veterans' issues". Mr. Buyer, while I do have concern for our veterans, this is not the purpose of this communication.

To the staff member who read my letter and mistakenly sent me the wrong reply, I understand that mistakes can happen, however I do want to ensure that my concerns actually reach Mr. Buyer and at least are made known to him such that his vote will keep me and others who share my concerns for the right to keep and bear arms voting for him. It is to your benefit as well, as if enough voters are alienated by his Congressional votes, he will be voted out of Congress and you will both be looking for a new employer other than the American people.

A personal reply would be very much appreciated or failing that, at least the correct form reply for my concerns.

Thank you very much, and have a wonderful day.

(name and city redacted)

Do you think I got my point across? :):

Blessings,
    B

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I understand that our elected representatives get a lot of mail. I still don't think it's too much to ask for a personal reply in any case. If I took the time to write the letter, it wouldn't kill him to reply, even if it's a staffer and he just reviews it and signs it. In no case is a form letter acceptable.

Top Bottom