• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What is a fair amount for membership to a range?

• Total voters

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    For a $150 I would join ACC if they had all that now.
    And if it didn't flood

Do they already have a plan for the new berms, new rifle range and berm updates? Or are they still talking about putting in a helicopter landing area, building a new club house and what to do with all the trash since there are no trash cans allowed on the range?

Huh? :dunno: Is that ACC in your profile pic? Kind of looks like it.

The "helicopter landing area" already exists as part of the Emergency Action Plan. It's a field. It needed no improvement.

What trash? There is a huge dumpster on your way in/out of the club next to the driveway by the clubhouse.

The new bays are in the planning stage. Since it is a flood plain there are many considerations, regulations, and the government to deal with. The plan is to build more.

Making one of the bays longer (to make it a rifle bay) is still under consideration, but it IS a PISTOL club, and a nice one at that.

How exactly does one "update" a pile of dirt? ACC is continually working to make the range better and safer. :twocents:

Last edited:

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I go to Proteq right outside of Brazil, IN. Pretty nice range and it only costs $20 per year and you really don't have to provide your own targets but I like the shoot n c's. Owner is a great guy who just wants people to have a place to shoot. They offer classes which cost extra. Absolutly great place.

Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    My "home range" is about 20 mins from my front door. It's $85 a year for the cardholder and spouse(and kids that live at home) they have nice facilities including a small clubhouse, heated restroom, shelter house and fishing pond. You can bring a guest, but that person is only allowed once per year.

Covered rifle range out to ~120yds, clay pigeon range w/ 2 nice throwers, 3 other shooting bays (One pistol only, and two ~25yds rifle/pistol) Most of the lanes are covered, if you want to be under it. Shoot as fast as you want. No full-auto without special permission.

Bring your own targets, stands, clays, ear/eye pro, etc. Access 365 days/year via locked gate, dawn to dusk as far as i know. They allow members to hunt the property on a first come basis. I havent taken advantage of this yet, maybe this year.

This is my third year and i have no intentions of letting this membership go anytime soon. A 500 member cap keeps it from being crowded, lots of times i've got the place to myself.

:rockwoot::ar15::rockwoot::ar15:

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    And the rest rooms are getting an upgrade. The night the decision was made there may have been 4 people who were not on the board at the meeting. Come to a meeting and you'll be surprised what you find out. I'm as guilty as anyone though.

Huh? :dunno: Is that ACC in your profile pic? Kind of looks like it.

The "helicopter landing area" already exists as part of the Emergency Action Plan. It's a field. It needed no improvement.

What trash? There is a huge dumpster on your way in/out of the club next to the driveway by the clubhouse.

The new bays are in the planning stage. Since it is a flood plain there are many considerations, regulations, and the government to deal with. The plan is to build more.

Making one of the bays longer (to make it a rifle bay) is still under consideration, but it IS a PISTOL club, and a nice one at that.

How exactly does one "update" a pile of dirt? ACC is continually working to make the range better and safer. :twocents:

No, it is C.O.P.S. (central ozark practical shooters) range in Missouri

Don't get me wrong ACC is a very nice range. Looking at it and considering $150 membership I would want the rifle bay to already be there before I joined. Right now it is an 8 bay pistol club, if there is something going on taking up 4-5 bays on a weekend (which there usually is) then there are only 3-4 bays left and that doesn't leave a lot of room if 5 people show up to shoot in the bays.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    No, it is C.O.P.S. (central ozark practical shooters) range in Missouri

Don't get me wrong ACC is a very nice range. Looking at it and considering $150 membership I would want the rifle bay to already be there before I joined. Right now it is an 8 bay pistol club, if there is something going on taking up 4-5 bays on a weekend (which there usually is) then there are only 3-4 bays left and that doesn't leave a lot of room if 5 people show up to shoot in the bays.

I will check at the next board meeting, but as long as I have been a member, that has never been a problem. I have never had to wait for a bay to shoot. But it COULD happen. The club offers matches in many disciplines on a regular basis. Members are encouraged to participate, but it's not required. ACC is also considering a reduced match fee for members.

The ACC BOD has approved an INGO advertising account, so as soon as it is set up you will be able to see things develop, and ask questions there.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I voted for silly. There is no way I would step on, or near a range (unless at a USPSA/IDPA event) where you can draw and fire. After seeing how some of these foos handle their weapons at local ranges scares the crap out of me. Luckily, for me, I have a place to shoot. Although, I do need some real training in presenting my weapon, etc.

I can help you with the training. Email me for details.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    We'll see it all when they get enough money.

Large donations would help speed things up.

$150 per year for pistol bays is a large donation. What ACC is offering today versus last year does not warrant the membership increase.

yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    I haven't voted because there is not enough information for me. Yardage? Skeet/trap? Facilities? Special Events?

As a kid my father paid for a cheap range when we lived in GA. It was pretty basic. A gate with a pad lock. Covered area to shoot from. No bathrooms. No targets. A few benches and seats. It was great. We could shoot anything we wanted. We rarely saw anyone else and never waited for a bay. We shot at whatever we wanted. Cans? 2 Liter bottles filled with water? Coins? All fair game. Much more entertaining than shooting paper.

As an adult I paid to go to pops the last time I had guns. It is somewhat expensive for two people sharing a bay and after awhile the lack of ventilation gets to you, but it was open when I wanted to go. Anymore it is too busy to bother with.

I have also gone to Atterbury. Not sure if they hours are still the same since it was under the old management, but honestly speaking it wasn't open much. Then when it was I felt like I was going to pop's. I don't want to have to drive out, pay, and then wait to use a bay. The facilities are nice and I didn't mind paying for the skeet setup. I thought it was quite nifty and enjoyed it immensely.

Personally I like Wilbur Wright. It is open most of the week. I don't get hassled. I can go when most people are at work. The only ding is that rifles are limited to 50 yards and I am stuck shooting paper. I have looked at going to Indy Trading Post's range since it is closer, but they do not allow 44 mag.

What would it take for me to pay a yearly membership fee?

Don't make me go to a meeting. Sorry, I want to shoot I have no interest in your plans. I am paying to use facilities. If there are group meetings geared toward other things that is a different story, but I don't want to take time out of my schedule to hear about the facilities.

Initiation fee? No thanks, I am not interested in being fleeced for some extra change. It just comes off as a scam for the range to get a little more money out of me and nothing else.If someone can show what the extra is getting me I am willing, but just saying oh, you are new that will be an extra 50 is not gonna happen.

Be open. Being closed for upgrades or maintenance is understandable, but if I am paying for facilities I don't want to have to look and see if I am able to go. If there are club activities going on leave part of the range open. I don't want to get there to find out I cannot do anything because x event is going on.

Don't be packed all the time. I get that a saturday is going to be busier than a weekday afternoon and at times I may have to wait. If I come in often at odd hours and have to wait I won't renew.

Offer me something I cannot get elsewhere. Wilbur Wright is free, but I cannot shoot more than 50 yards. There are no steel targets/moving targets/etc. Gonna be honest I am not an amazing shot so if the range has get together's where I can learn something I see it as a plus.

All in all what would I be willing to pay for something within 45 minutes of me? 50-200 per year depending on what it got me. The problem is it would either have to be closer than Wilbur Wright or give me a good bang for my buck over a free range.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    Assuming a square range, where you can practice drills etc.. at your leisure then 100 is about my limit....the more things the range provides the higher up my price goes...for example at AngolaConservationClub I pay $25 a year. They offer me a square range to do drills etc and a 100 yard rifle range, no more no less. That is an exceptional price...i would easily pay more since i go most weekends.

To join youngs is $300 some odd dollars but they offer ranges out to 1000yds, lead sleads, spotting scopes, steel, an atv to post/check targets, an indoor area for winter, and other amenities and I think that is a more than a fair price for what they offer, even though i would use it much less than the square range at Angola.

Greyson

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2016
    Irvington/Indy
    otrpc Old Trails, an NRA range, in Richmond offers me movable pistol targets out to 25 yards, 25, 50, and 100 yard rifle targets. On the other side, they offer a 200 yard range. At certain times, one can shoot 300 yards by encompassing all the above.

It is nice because I have a gate key and can shoot most any time the sun is up.
    It is not so nice when a scheduled event runs past its schedule.

I often have the place to myself so I don't have to worry about the rules that protect other shooters.

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    If you're Blythes in Valpo: $300. Don't be blythes, just don't.
    Rarely use their range because of that. Single pass is $17 for a session. Cheap for the people who drive from Illinois to use the range, but I don't agree.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    i wouldn't pay a dime, but i have a rather unique situation:D

Well, I have several places to shoot for free, My best friend has an area where I can shoot about 75 yards, One Son has an area (when crops are out where I can shoot over 100 yards safely, his close friend (and a friend of mine) has a 300+ yard range. Another Son also has an are where we can shoot 50 yards or so.

However in order to purchase from the CMP, I maintain my membership at Linden conservation club, cost me a $100 a year (CMP requires that you belong to a NRA affiliated club).

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    It takes me 45 minutes to get to a range that will allow me to shoot my rifles. If there are ranges in Indianapolis that will do the same then I would pay a reasonable fee for membership. However, there is no way I will pay $100 or more for a membership that doesn't have a 100 yd range and allow rifles. The range I go to now charges $65 total for my wife and I to have a 1-yr membership. Next year there will be a small price increase from what I hear but it will still be well worth the drive to get there and the annual fee.

Reverend Dreed

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    new hope
    Our little range down here has a 15 dollar per year membership fee but requires a 5 dollar range fee on the days you shoot. I would like to change this to a flat 50 dollar per year fee with no range fee but I do not think it will happen any time soon. Some would save money others would spend more but all in all I believe it would work out better for most. We have a 150 member cap and stay full.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I pay $30 a year? was $20 but went up due to many improvements. PROteq is a very nice range too though it is all outside. I am very satisfied and it really is a nice place. I am not sure I would pay any of the choices so I chose the last one even though I do use a range. I once lived out in the wilds on a fair bit of land but that is over now...

jcj54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    The annual fee would depend on the facility. The club I belong to has practical pistol bays and a 100, 200, and 300 yard range with pits. A real bargain at $60 annually.

lcole1969

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2016
    Elwood
    I pay $65 a yr for me and family (under 18) to use the Elwood conservation club range. Theyou have a really nice range with 10yd, 25, 50, 75, and 100yd. Anyone else here shoot there?

Top Bottom