• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What is a fair amount for membership to a range?

• Total voters

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    You would have to wear safety glassed and ear protection, and actually shoot in front of other people instead of boasting about.
    And most places won't let you play grab ass with your 'shooting buddy'
    good thing I always have ear/eye pro in my range bag and wear it when shooting in training ;)........my training associate and I don't train at civilian ranges because we aren't civilians and most of what we do would be perceived as "dangerous" to shooters such as yourself...so why waste my time/money somewhere my training is not welcomed....

and if by "playing grab ass" you mean training harshly and utterly beating the :poop: out of each other to better prepare us for real situations, than so be it.....but I'm glad you are so moved by me, my opinions, and my experience that you feel the need to target me in an adolscent :stickpoke:...it's touching...

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    My parents have 43 acres 12 miles from my house. I'll inherit it pretty soon too. Why pay $$ and drive an hour each way (to the nearest range/club) when I can be out at the farm in 15 minutes. No rules, no restrictions. Shoot (or hunt) day or night, blow things up or burn them down. Leave a mess or clean it up. It's all up to me and how I feel that day. Rifle, pistol, shotgun.....tannerite or acetylene bombs......doesn't matter.

Ask me to pay to join your range/club and I'll just smile and say "no thanks".
    :yesway::yesway::yesway::+1:

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Membership $20/year

Mine is $20/year. There is a 50 yrd range, full auto allowed, a 100 yard range that can be used while sitting in a building in winter, a 200 yard range and a trap field. The majority of the time I have it to myself and can practice move/shoot, etc. on the 50 yrd range. Lifetime membership is $250. Member access only via locked gate.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I pay $200 a year for my membership at Young's Longshot Range up by Kendallville. This is a 1,000 yard range with pistol stations. They have a heated, enclosed shooting area where you can sit inside and shoot out to 1,000 yards all winter long. They are open 365 days a year and are open from 10:00am to dusk Mon - Sat and 12:00 to dusk on Sundays.

They provide a John Deere gator to run out and post paper and paint steel plates. They provide paint and staple guns, shooting mats, hearing protection, Lead Sleds, spotting scopes, cleaning equipment and supplies, a chronograph, coffee pot, microwave over, refrigerator, gas grille and they have a porta-potty. They have pop, water food, snacks, targets and safety glasses for sale on the honor system. Deb makes home made cookies and keeps the fridge stocked up.

A lot of folks come up for the weekend and stay at the range overnight in tents or in their vehicles. They don't have camping hook-ups but you can run an extension cord. There are a couple nice campgrounds a few miles away.

I've shot at a lot of ranges and this place is my second home. The $200 a year private membership keeps a lot of the idiots away. I shoot at Roush range as well when I'm working on new loads, but like the open environment up at Youngs.

here's a good example for me....to be able to practice distance shots at 1,000 and keep skills sharp....if it were within an hour drive I'd pay $200 in a heart beat for what is described here...but not for anything less than 500 yards

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I chose $150. Although I pay $100 now.

If there was a range that was closer that allowed me to draw from the holster, move around, rapid fire, and allowed rifle calibers, and had 100 yards to shoot, I would pay $200 a year.

I can do all of this, but out to 200 and 300 yards, at two different ranges that are less than 10 minutes from my house. Both are around $50.00 a year. Didn't realize how lucky I was till I read this thread. Oh yeah, I can use my back yard too, but only about 50 yards there.

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    I pay 75.00 a year. Unlimited use handgun, rifle out to 300 yrds, trap thrower in club house that can be taken to to rifle range. Can be reservered through out the year for parties( as long as another member has not already resereved it, at no extra charge). Also has hunting on first come first serve and fishing.

BowhuntnHoosier

Angry Old Conservative Fart
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Terre Haute
    My outdoor range is $70 the first year then $60 from there on. Unless insurance rates go up. You get a key to the gate and can go anytime sunrise to sunset except on Sunday then its after 11am. But I would definately pay $100 a year.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    I paid $150 this year at the range across the street from my house. $50 was for first year initiation fee. Anything except .50 bmg and the like, no full auto, 3 seconds between shots (actually a good rule for me as I am forced to take my time and I'm learning more this way).

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Need new gate, need a rifle range, need to add more bays, need to top off the berms, etc. It all takes money.

And the rest rooms are getting an upgrade. The night the decision was made there may have been 4 people who were not on the board at the meeting. Come to a meeting and you'll be surprised what you find out. I'm as guilty as anyone though.

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    My parents have 43 acres 12 miles from my house. I'll inherit it pretty soon too. Why pay $$ and drive an hour each way (to the nearest range/club) when I can be out at the farm in 15 minutes. No rules, no restrictions. Shoot (or hunt) day or night, blow things up or burn them down. Leave a mess or clean it up. It's all up to me and how I feel that day. Rifle, pistol, shotgun.....tannerite or acetylene bombs......doesn't matter.

Ask me to pay to join your range/club and I'll just smile and say "no thanks".

But can we join YOURS?

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    I prefer pay as you go. I have belonged to a range that cost $100 and was worthless. I belonged to another that was pay as you go and was perfect. Just recently spent $22 dollars just for a day of shooting at the US Shooting Academy in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Was the best money I ever spent at the range. Visited a beautiful range outside Great Falls, Montana and paid $3 per visit. I reckon it is what you are willing to pay for and what you desire to get out of your day at the range. The place I paid $100 for I never shot there once. Absolute waste of money and the attitudes of those that ran it kept me from wanting to come back.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    good thing I always have ear/eye pro in my range bag and wear it when shooting in training ;)........my training associate and I don't train at civilian ranges because we aren't civilians and most of what we do would be perceived as "dangerous" to shooters such as yourself...so why waste my time/money somewhere my training is not welcomed....

and if by "playing grab ass" you mean training harshly and utterly beating the :poop: out of each other to better prepare us for real situations, than so be it.....but I'm glad you are so moved by me, my opinions, and my experience that you feel the need to target me in an adolscent :stickpoke:...it's touching...

you are such a bad ass, us mortals are in pure awe of your awesomeness

I have asked if you would train me and that I could go with you to shoot, but as you have pointed out you are not a civilian.

That mean you are active duty, or just in the reserves?

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    I pay around $6000 a year currently. Of course it's a private range with a home on it. I can shoot what ever I want, any time I want to and as fast as I want to including full auto. Drive time is 0 minutes. You have to love living in the country. :rockwoot:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I'm a member of a private range that costs $20 / year for an individual, or $25/yr for a husband/wife couple. Provides white paper and spray paint to make your own targets.

There are quite a few rules, but they are all common sense. Pick up your brass, pick up your trash, don't steal things, don't dis-respect the property, etc etc, need I go on? Like I said, they are common sense rules, but every single one of those rules was put in place because somebody did something stupid, requiring a new rule be put in place. I do have to say, one time I did leave a mess, got distracted while packing up to leave, and forgot some water bottles that we had shot at. I was already back home before I realized it. I called the owner of the range, told him what happened and said I'd be sure to pick up extra trash next time I was at the range. He was happy with that.

No silly rules except no bump-fire based upon a few incidents at the range where lessened control of the weapon resulted in some very close calls when rounds went over the backstop.

Unfortunately, I now live about 90 minutes away from that range... :(

Still pay my membership money just in case I'm in the area, but don't make it that way that often...

The range I shoot at nowadays lets you shoot just about anything you want except HE ammo and explosives. To do HE they want a 36 hour notice. :dunno: Membership at this range doesn't cost a dime, only personal sacrifice. ;)

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Need new gate, need a rifle range, need to add more bays, need to top off the berms, etc. It all takes money.

And the rest rooms are getting an upgrade. The night the decision was made there may have been 4 people who were not on the board at the meeting. Come to a meeting and you'll be surprised what you find out. I'm as guilty as anyone though.

For a $150 I would join ACC if they had all that now.
    And if it didn't flood

Do they already have a plan for the new berms, new rifle range and berm updates? Or are they still talking about putting in a helicopter landing area, building a new club house and what to do with all the trash since there are no trash cans allowed on the range?

Jeff

Home of the P7
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    South Indy
    I voted for silly. There is no way I would step on, or near a range (unless at a USPSA/IDPA event) where you can draw and fire. After seeing how some of these foos handle their weapons at local ranges scares the crap out of me. Luckily, for me, I have a place to shoot. Although, I do need some real training in presenting my weapon, etc.

Top Bottom