• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What is a fair amount for membership to a range?

• Total voters

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Assume it is outside only. Assume once per year not paying per trip. However you can draw from a holster and shoot fast but no full auto.

Now we're getting some usable specifics, but we're still not there.

100 yards? 200? 800? I would certainly pay significantly more for that longer range.
    Hours restricted? I was a member at Atterbury one year, but I never will be again (partially because I moved away). I work 3 weekends per month, and they're closed two week days. Even when they are open during the week, you have to be done by what, 6:00 even in the summer? So if I hurry after work I can shoot for 30 minutes. Not worth a penny for membership with those restrictions.
    Have trap or skeet? I'd pay extra for that.

But if we're talking shoot all you want during daylight hours 7 days per week, I don't think asking $200 for anything 200 yards or more is unreasonable.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    A lot depends on how close the range is and what is allowed.
    I think 100 is a fair price for a safe range where I can draw from my holster and set up a classifier or a small stage and shoot it to my hearts content. I used to be a member at three different clubs . I am down to two because the range rules at one of the clubs did not allow drawing from a holster.

Is this poll going to cost me money?:)

No. I have fought against the idea of raising rates at RCC for several years. I am just wondering where everyone is on this. I am somewhat surprised early on by the high amounts getting so many votes.

I know it is vague. I did not want to direct this at any particular club and create hard feelings. I am the Vice President at Riley Conservation Club and we are $70 per year, no restroom facilities, covered firing lines, 240 yards available, several pistol bays available, no full auto and other than it is come and shoot. Seems like a bargain to me.

I know of cheaper places that are not as nice, and I know of more expensive ones. Thanks for the opinions and the details. Please keep them coming.

Last edited:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Yardage?

Why no full-auto? Not even pistol calibers?

If I have to supply everything except the yardage to shoot on, I'm going with $75. If the Range provided target stands, and other things needed I could see paying more.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    No. I have fought against the idea of raising rates at RCC for several years. I am just wondering where everyone is on this. I am somewhat surprised early on by the high amounts getting so many votes.

I know it is vague. I did not want to direct this at any particular club and create hard feelings. I am the Vice President at Riley Conservation Club and we are $70 per year, no restroom facilities, covered firing lines, 240 yards available, several pistol bays available, no full auto and other than it is come and shoot. Seems like a bargain to me.

I know of cheaper places that are not as nice, and I know of more expensive ones.

I would pay more,but I'm mostly paying to vote.
    I am going to use my membership, outside of shooting a match this year. let's call it a goal:D

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    I think it would depend on your location, how many and what type of ranges are around you, and how much they charge. I'm a member of two different ranges near me.

One south of town ( Old Trails Rifle and Pistol Club-Membership Information and Range Rules )has events often so if you are in to that, it's great. People to shoot with, things going on, 4-H and Scouts use it, Jr NRA and other classes from time to time, optional indoor range etc etc. The down side is if you just want to go and shoot, you have to make sure and look at the schedule before you leave. Membership costs $70/year PLUS you MUST be an NRA member, so if you are not a lifetime member already, $105/ year. Optional indoor range an additional $50/year. I signed up for both the first couple of years ($155/year including NRA membership) but didn't use the indoor range much so now I'm outdoor range only.

The range north of town ( Membership ) does not have any organized events. There was a member picnic once a couple of years ago. There is a pond for fishing, an archery range, and separate pistol and rifle ranges. $50 per year for FAMILY membership and $30/ year individual. Smaller range, 100 yard only not 300 like the other one, and not quite as many lanes, but more accessible than the other.

So for $155 a year (including NRA membership), I get the best of both worlds, and both places are about a 15 minute drive from my house.

Hope that helps.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I thought ACC going from $100 to $150 was a bit of a jump.

At $100 it was a bargain.

I might have missed it on their website or via email, but it would have been beneficial to current ACC members to include some sort of narrative about why the increase was necessary and what they plan on doing with the money.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I might have missed it on their website or via email, but it would have been beneficial to current ACC members to include some sort of narrative about why the increase was necessary and what they plan on doing with the money.

You didn't miss it. There was no explanation.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Yardage?

Why no full-auto? Not even pistol calibers?

If I have to supply everything except the yardage to shoot on, I'm going with $75. If the Range provided target stands, and other things needed I could see paying more.

At RCC we have target stands available.

I have no reason for the no full auto. Long time rule and change is difficult. The rules allow it with special permission. I think it is about trust or power.:dunno:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I think range fees like pricing on most other stuff is tricky. By keeping it as low as possible you'll get more members and therefore more money.

The higher the range fee, the less members you'll have and possibly collect less money overall. Although I bet the number of "Active" members will stay relatively the same.

Riley is a nice range and if I were closer, it would definitely be a consideration. I think they have it split up pretty well with pistol bays and rifle bays. And they have some good yardage out there too.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    A friend of mine purchased a 1 year VIP pass at Midwest Gun Exchange in Elkhart and I "believe" it cost him $400.

He gets:
    -Unlimited use of a separated set of 5 lanes
    -Unlimited use of any rental handguns (they usually have 8 or so available at any given time of different caliber)
    -Unlimited targets
    -Can bring up to 3 friends with him for no extra charge​

I personally think its a steal

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    To me, it would have to offer the following before I would even consider paying for membership rather than using private property.

1. unlimited access 365 days (other than night time obviously)
    2. all calibers allowed rifle, shotgun, pistol
    3. large enough to NOT have to wait for hours in line to shoot (unlike most indoors)
    4. an area for extended range rifle shooting, around 300-500 yards
    5. an area which would allow for tactics/scenario training without disrupting the everyday, average shooter who just wants a punch paper in a lane
    6. allows rapid fire, holster draw, etc

It would have to offer all of these and be within a 30-45 minute drive of Indianapolis. If it were any further than that, then there is private property I can go to which I can do whatever I see fit and not pay a dime. Then it becomes a balancing act: is the price per year worth a 5 minute saved drive? etc etc.....The less of these that a range offers the less likely I am to be at all interested in paying for a range, because I can't do everything I would use it for and so I'll have to find others to access as well, which means I'd be looking for as cheap as possible or seek an alternative like private land.:twocents:

You would have to wear safety glassed and ear protection, and actually shoot in front of other people instead of boasting about.
    And most places won't let you play grab ass with your 'shooting buddy'

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Depends. If it included a place to shoot in the 500-1000 yard range I'd pay $200/year if it included myself and the boss. Right now I pay $85/year for the two of us but the longest distance they have is ~120 yards but in talking to one of the officers a 250 yard range is coming.

Gotta add distance to the range, I'm less than 20 minutes where I'm at now so I'd say for the ability to shoot the 500+ yard mark I'd drive somewhat further. How much further depends on the facility.

Last edited:

pdg45acp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Kokomo
    Good question

The Howard County Izaak Walton League is $142/year for a family membership, $95 for a single person and we've got more members than we've had since the 80's. It's an expensive facility to maintain, fortunately there's Bingo income to keep the membership fees down.

pdg45acp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Kokomo

Need new gate, need a rifle range, need to add more bays, need to top off the berms, etc. It all takes money.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Big fan of the DNRs. Up here in the northwest there are not too many options. After driving an hour, spending 100's on ammo, it doesn't leave much wiggle room. I will drive to Buffalo Rock in Ottawa IL and pay $25 for the plinking pit's rapid fire. I will also drive to Deer Creek in MI for the sporting clays. Anyone have any better ideas?

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I pay $200 a year for my membership at Young's Longshot Range up by Kendallville. This is a 1,000 yard range with pistol stations. They have a heated, enclosed shooting area where you can sit inside and shoot out to 1,000 yards all winter long. They are open 365 days a year and are open from 10:00am to dusk Mon - Sat and 12:00 to dusk on Sundays.

They provide a John Deere gator to run out and post paper and paint steel plates. They provide paint and staple guns, shooting mats, hearing protection, Lead Sleds, spotting scopes, cleaning equipment and supplies, a chronograph, coffee pot, microwave over, refrigerator, gas grille and they have a porta-potty. They have pop, water food, snacks, targets and safety glasses for sale on the honor system. Deb makes home made cookies and keeps the fridge stocked up.

A lot of folks come up for the weekend and stay at the range overnight in tents or in their vehicles. They don't have camping hook-ups but you can run an extension cord. There are a couple nice campgrounds a few miles away.

I've shot at a lot of ranges and this place is my second home. The $200 a year private membership keeps a lot of the idiots away. I shoot at Roush range as well when I'm working on new loads, but like the open environment up at Youngs.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    My parents have 43 acres 12 miles from my house. I'll inherit it pretty soon too. Why pay $$ and drive an hour each way (to the nearest range/club) when I can be out at the farm in 15 minutes. No rules, no restrictions. Shoot (or hunt) day or night, blow things up or burn them down. Leave a mess or clean it up. It's all up to me and how I feel that day. Rifle, pistol, shotgun.....tannerite or acetylene bombs......doesn't matter.

Ask me to pay to join your range/club and I'll just smile and say "no thanks".

Top Bottom