• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What is a fair amount for membership to a range?

• Total voters

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    How much is too much for a year's membership to a range? Assume that your membership simply gets you a safe place to shoot, and that you have to provide targets and other equipment.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    Thats a tough question to answer. For me it depends on the location (how easy is it for me to make a trip), which will also change how often I make a trip to use it. It also would depend on what other shooting options I have. If its right out my back door and I would use it weekly I would pay more than a range thats 20 miles away that I might use once a month. Are we talking indoor range or outside? For me I would do the math and figure out if its cheaper to buy the annual pass or just pay per visit. I don't shoot inside all that much unless its raining so I normally just pay the hourly rate.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    One more thing I forgot. I see some ranges that offer a range card. For example you buy 10- 1 hour visits to the range and its a better price then paying as you go. I like that way better.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    One more thing I forgot. I see some ranges that offer a range card. For example you buy 10- 1 hour visits to the range and its a better price then paying as you go. I like that way better.

I'm the exact opposite. I'm very much in the "Pay one price for unlimited access" camp. When I go to the range, sometimes I'm just there to hang out with a couple of guys and maybe shoot a box. Other times, I'm there for a fully-productive practice session. It's distracting to watch the clock and I don't like feeling like I'm wasting a coupon if I'm not using the time to its fullest. I'd much rather pay $150 or $200 or whatever for access anytime I want.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    If you are only going to shoot a few times a year than a pay as you go is the best option. However, if you want to sling lead a lot throughout the year, then a membership is for you!

I personally like memberships where I can go anytime I want. Like scutter mentioned, sometimes its an all out lead slinging event or the only thing getting shot is the :poop:

Either trip is still a win!

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    depends on the rules and the facility itself. If its a "nothing from the holster, 1 sec between shots" kinda range, I'm not paying all that much, if anything at all, for a membership. If it's a range where all I get is a single lane, same thing.

OTOH, ACC is $150/year, and I think that's quite fair.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    $25-50 and no BS anti-gun insurance placating rules (handgun fire a one round per 5 seconds stationary standing and no drawing holds little training value); I've got a free DNR range nearby and ammo ain't cheap, its already $50 per trip minimum

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Assume it is outside only. Assume once per year not paying per trip. However you can draw from a holster and shoot fast but no full auto.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    None of your poll answers apply for me then. There are 2 ranges (clubs) in my area, one is $35 a year and the other is $50 I believe. It would be somewhere in that general area for and outside range.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I voted for $150 per year which coincides with what ACC is now charging for their members; although, I paid $100 last year at the same club. The substantial increase was a little bit of a shocker, but they are making improvements to the club.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I think Roush is 80 bucks a year. I've gone about once a week when it's nice out.

I will pay because it's like 5 minutes away. The RO fets stressed when they are busy though. Oh, and no EDC in a holster due to the Corps of engineers BS. But I can shoot all day to my hearts desire :)

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    A lot depends on how close the range is and what is allowed.
    I think 100 is a fair price for a safe range where I can draw from my holster and set up a classifier or a small stage and shoot it to my hearts content. I used to be a member at three different clubs . I am down to two because the range rules at one of the clubs did not allow drawing from a holster.

Is this poll going to cost me money?:)

Last edited:

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Eh. I answered before I saw "outside". Indoor is more costly so I put $150. Outdoor would depend on the facilities. Wildcat Valley R&P club charged $100 yearly and some service. For that beautiful club I considered it a steal. But I have been to others that were not worth that much so...

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I chose $150. Although I pay $100 now.

If there was a range that was closer that allowed me to draw from the holster, move around, rapid fire, and allowed rifle calibers, and had 100 yards to shoot, I would pay $200 a year.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    To me, it would have to offer the following before I would even consider paying for membership rather than using private property.

1. unlimited access 365 days (other than night time obviously)
    2. all calibers allowed rifle, shotgun, pistol
    3. large enough to NOT have to wait for hours in line to shoot (unlike most indoors)
    4. an area for extended range rifle shooting, around 300-500 yards
    5. an area which would allow for tactics/scenario training without disrupting the everyday, average shooter who just wants a punch paper in a lane
    6. allows rapid fire, holster draw, etc

It would have to offer all of these and be within a 30-45 minute drive of Indianapolis. If it were any further than that, then there is private property I can go to which I can do whatever I see fit and not pay a dime. Then it becomes a balancing act: is the price per year worth a 5 minute saved drive? etc etc.....The less of these that a range offers the less likely I am to be at all interested in paying for a range, because I can't do everything I would use it for and so I'll have to find others to access as well, which means I'd be looking for as cheap as possible or seek an alternative like private land.:twocents:

DonnaS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2011
    Fishers, IN
    One of the thing the pole doesn't ask is about facilities. Are there indoor men's and ladies' rooms, or one single porta-john outside, if there are any bathrooms at all? Is there a clubhouse? Kitchen? Organized events nearly every weekend or never? Do they charge instructors a fee per student on top of yearly dues or is that a perk of membership? Are there target holders available or do you have to bring all of your own stuff? These things make a difference to me.

Top Bottom