• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    I just purchased my first glock about a week ago after my roommates had both purchased theirs. I have been carrying a PT145 for the past 7 months. Before that, I was in Iraq and carried a Beretta 92 on my right leg every day for over a year. I will not lie, when I first started carrying my Glock, I wasn't sure what I would do in reference to one in the chamber or not. Conveniently, my pt145 IWB holster works perceftly for my glock as well covering the trigger. After walking around with it for a while, I realized that I would be more than safe enough to leave one in the chamber. I have been trained that even with a manual safety weapon, as soon as you draw, the finger is off the trigger until you acquire a target. Sometimes this may come before the weapon is all the way up to your eye, but you know when and what you are going to shoot at. For now, I feel my IWB is a good holster, but am looking to go with a serpa level 2 holster, same style I had for my Beretta. I prefer the comfort of knowing that the weapon is not coming out unless I, and hopefully no one else, presses the button. This is also a great holster because it puts your finger right along the gun and off the trigger.

mattfoley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Wayne Co.
    I will be honest. Its only recently that I have felt comfortable carrying one in the tube.

I would suggest practice drawing over and over to build confidence in your weapon and in yourself.

Remember YOU are the safety.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Without a round chambered your handgun is a paperweight. With visual and tactile indicators on guns, it is getting easier to tell if the person holding the gun has one in the pipe.

Remember the guy that robbed a grocery store back 6 months or so in Indy? There was a guy in line behind him who had a 1911 without a round in the chamber. He pointed his gun at the robber and stopped him. Crazy! The robber was gun in hand! One look at the 1911's hammer by the robber and the story could have had a sad ending. Thank god most felons are not rocket scientists.

But you know what? That is a matter of personal comfort! And it's a choice only you can make. You may not be as ready as "possible" without a round in the chamber, but if you feel better about it you are more likely to carry and still better off than not having a handgun.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    My holster is my safety. I have kids, so in trade I have a retention strap. When I carry it is loaded and the strap is on. When I take it off the hip, it is unloaded in the safe.

Do as you will, but remember this story:

By Chris Brennan

BRIAN LEWIS was leaving his apartment, heading to a gig as a disc jockey in January 2005, when three guys jumped him.
    Two of them pulled pistols.

The men wanted his gear, including two CD mixers worth $499 each.

They also wanted Lewis to turn around and go back inside his house with them.

What the robbers didn't know was that Lewis had a gun, and a permit to carry it.

Lewis reached for his gun, telling the robbers he was pulling out the key to his door.

Lewis aimed across his body, drawing a bead on the head of one man aiming a pistol at his back.

Click.

The gun was loaded, but there was no bullet in the chamber.

The two robbers heard the pistol's dry fire and blasted away, shooting Lewis in the back.

"I was able to stand my ground and get a round in there," Lewis said.

"I turned around, started yelling and shooting back. I shot every bullet I had in my clip. I just kept pulling the trigger."

He nearly died but was able to put down one of the three bad guys (dead if IIRC). Had he not started the fight dry firing, maybe he would have not been hurt so bad. When the police asked him if he wanted his weapon back, he let them keep it. He got another one later.

TigerGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    G19 for daily carry. Yes I keep it chambered. I thought about it for about the first 2 days. Haven't since.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    YouTube - Why you don't use a kydex paddle holster

I would avoid a Kydex paddle style watch this video to see the obviuos reason why

Well, about the video.... if someone was trying to grab, breakoff, so much as touch my pistol while "behind me"
    they would have more to worry about.
    Unlike the douche in the video standing like a tree an
    elbow to the teeth of the assailant should make anyone
    not on crack stop to rethink.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Well, about the video.... if someone was trying to grab, breakoff, so much as touch my pistol while "behind me"
    they would have more to worry about.
    Unlike the douche in the video standing like a tree an
    elbow to the teeth of the assailant should make anyone
    not on crack stop to rethink.

Well, one of the first things you learn in weapon retention when some one tries to grap your gun from your holster, is to pin your gun and the assailants hand to your holster. Sure a good elbow to the "grill" will hurt your opponent, but if he was still able to successfully snatch your weapon, your in deep doo.

That being said, the holster in the video was a cheap Fobus holster , NOT MADE OF KYDEX but of injection molded plastic and poorly constructed. I garuantee that if you use a Kydex holster built by Com-tac, Bladetech or Raven holster breakeage, like shown in the above vid, will not happen.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Until I am detailed to Massad I will carry with a round in the chamber

Weapon retention is a training issue, not an equipment issue. As long as you are not using a cheap POS holster of course.- George

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I thought I was going to save the day with a great idea to try but Shooter571 said it already.

I carried without one in the chamber on my Glock 19 for about 2 months before I felt totally safe. At the time all I had was a cheapo fobus paddle, as well as that crappy fobus IWB plastic thing. Either way, after 2 months of NEVER coming anywhere NEAR touching the trigger, let alone moving it far enough to be dangerous, I started carrying with a round in the chamber. I was still uneasy until I got my first crossbreed super-tuck. I'm using the same set-up now except a G38 and a newer super-tuck. I wouldn't carry any other way now.

g.mccormick

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    New Whiteland
    Just a thought for those afraid of carring with one chambered. Why not get a new snap cap and chamber the snap cap. Then carry with the snap cap chambered for a week or two. at that time inspect the snap cap and see if there is any sign of a firing pin strike. If not, then that may help put your mind at ease that you will not discharge the firearm under normal carry situations.

Just a thought.

Top Bottom