• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gray Squirrel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Same question as the 1911 thread. When you carry, do you keep a round in the chamber? I'm waiting for my LTCH but want to get a holster and carry when I'm at the house to get used to it.

:popcorn:
    Glock makes a trigger with a button safty like is on a remington shotgun. I have one on my glock and I never use it for it is too time consuming to get off in a need to use situation BUT,it would wook well in a situation with children.:twocents:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    i hope you knocked on wood after that. or start giving new products some time on the market before you buy because youve just marked yourself for catastrophe.

I believe HICKMAN was making a joke, based on the fact that he currently carries without one in the chamber, which we've all pretty much beat him up about. :D

As for the Fobus and/or Serpa arguments, I think my opinions are well documented in other threads. ;)

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    I believe HICKMAN was making a joke, based on the fact that he currently carries without one in the chamber, which we've all pretty much beat him up about. :D

As for the Fobus and/or Serpa arguments, I think my opinions are well documented in other threads. ;)

ahhh. tracking.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Hey, you can't complain about the saf-t-blok, my finger isn't going to be busy sweeping my kids to the side! :D

While this is true, it WILL be doing something OTHER than pulling the trigger, which is why I don't like them.

:chillout: Ok that was all.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Well, you apparently have a solution that I'm waiting for ;) :D

Ok here it is, quick and dirty:

A holster that entirely and securely encloses the trigger guard and protects the trigger. When the gun comes up out of the holster the trigger finger goes immediately into register along the frame. When the sights are on target and the decision has been made to shoot, finger goes on the bang switch. Reholstering is done in reverse.

When your trigger finger has more than one "job", it will likely become confused under real stress. (this is also the reason Sepra holsters are not recommended) You will either end up just pulling the trigger, which won't go anywhere if there's a block behind it. Or, you will make a sloppy attempt to push out the block, and end up with a negligent discharge, quite possibly killing the person you're aimed at. (think of a situation when you've drawn and verbally challenged someone, but the decision to shoot has not yet been made)

Training these things into your muscle memory will be your key to safety.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

A holster that entirely and securely encloses the trigger guard and protects the trigger. When the gun comes up out of the holster the trigger finger goes immediately into register along the frame. When the sights are on target and the decision has been made to shoot, finger goes on the bang switch. Reholstering is done in reverse.

Yup, already covered. I have a Fobus paddle and a glock holster. Also have a Crossbreed being shipped this way. But I also carry in a fanny pack and a fag bag that attaches to my belt.

As far as drawing, I use the techniques you mention, as taught from my IDPA days back in Dallas.

Look at that tactical finger at the draw at 1:50 then again at 2:01 during the reload :rockwoot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-jz-Cn7qwE

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I have a Fobus paddle and a glock holster. Also have a Crossbreed being shipped this way.

Look at that tactical finger

You sir, do not need a Saf-T-Blok. Toss it in the trash-ola.

Lots of INGOers on that video. :D

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya

When your trigger finger has more than one "job", it will likely become confused under real stress. (this is also the reason Sepra holsters are not recommended) You will either end up just pulling the trigger, which won't go anywhere if there's a block behind it. Or, you will make a sloppy attempt to push out the block, and end up with a negligent discharge, quite possibly killing the person you're aimed at. (think of a situation when you've drawn and verbally challenged someone, but the decision to shoot has not yet been made)

Training these things into your muscle memory will be your key to safety.

Ive already got muscle memory with my Serpa holster, in a high stress situation id trust it to be a non issue. i idly fiddle with the button so much that my finger pretty much pushes it automatically. im trained right now to shoot before your pistol reaches your eye. i think if it ever came down to using a pistol, id probably wait till the last possible moment so that the decison to shoot was made before i drew. all depends on whats happening around me, i guess. i just dislike the fobus for cosmetic reasons.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Same question as the 1911 thread. When you carry, do you keep a round in the chamber?

Of course. A pistol without a round in the chamber is a paperweight (Glocks are too lightweight to make a decent club).

If you're hinky about carrying a Glock in a useful condition because of the lack of a manual safety, you either need to a) get over it (see below) or b) get a different type of pistol that you're more comfortable with.

Years ago, when I transitioned to Glocks from traditional DA autos with decockers, I was a little hesitant about carrying with a round in the chamber because I'd heard about people (mostly cops) "accidentally" shooting themselves, and of course the gunshop BS that "Glocks don't have any safeties" (this was also well before I became a Glock Armorer, of course). My solution was to carry with the trigger forward but the chamber empty, and a loaded mag in place. That way, if I did something wrong or the trigger somehow got pulled, I'd get a "click" instead of a "bang". After about two weeks of carrying the gun in this manner and handling it daily with no problems, I graduated to carrying with a round in the chamber. Then came the training to reinforce the wisdom of that decision, and I've never looked back.

:+1: One of the most poorly conceived Glock accessories EVAR.

But I also carry in a fanny pack and a fag bag that attaches to my belt.

My fanny pack was made specifically for carrying a pistol (Roma Leather concealment gear), and includes a nylon "holster" that covers the trigger guard. No need for other doohickies in there.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

Lots of INGOers on that video. :D

Haven't got around to ordering one yet :D

After about two weeks of carrying the gun in this manner and handling it daily with no problems, I graduated to carrying with a round in the chamber. Then came the training to reinforce the wisdom of that decision, and I've never looked back.

That's kind of where I'm at now.

shooter521;287766My fanny pack was made specifically for carrying a pistol ([url=http://www.rmholsters.com/falgal/pg2.htm said:
    Roma Leather concealment gear[/url]), and includes a nylon "holster" that covers the trigger guard. No need for other doohickies in there.

That's what I need.

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Repeating for the lurkers--

If you are hesitant to carry your pistol with a round in the chamber, this method should get you where you need to be in a short period of time.

My solution was to carry with the trigger forward but the chamber empty, and a loaded mag in place. That way, if I did something wrong or the trigger somehow got pulled, I'd get a "click" instead of a "bang". After about two weeks of carrying the gun in this manner and handling it daily with no problems, I graduated to carrying with a round in the chamber. Then came the training to reinforce the wisdom of that decision, and I've never looked back.

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Get out and shoot as much as you can in the first few months you carry. Get used to the trigger and you will feel a little better about what it takes to fire the weapon. Make sure you have a solid holster that COVERS THE TRIGGER and will not let the weapon come free unless you want it to. As long as the trigger is covered then you can't fire it. There is no such thing as an accidental discharge! (AD) Only Negligent Discharges. (NDs)
    If it's not loaded then you will take more time to react to a situation and that could be time you (or others) don't have.

Top Bottom