• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I guess this thread has made me think about it a little more. When I first started carrying my kids were all very young, now they are 16,14,12 and 10. I guess it's time to re-evaluate and starting carrying hot all the time.

Another thing to consider in this never-ending "journey" with firearms-- take some time/money out and get some good quality training under your belt. This will help get your mindset right, as well as build your confidence in gun-handling skills, both tactical and administrative.

And, since we are lucky INGOers, we already have a great resource for such things: Tactics and Training - INGunOwners

Good luck! And PM inbound with an offer.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Same question as the 1911 thread. When you carry, do you keep a round in the chamber? I'm waiting for my LTCH but want to get a holster and carry when I'm at the house to get used to it.

:popcorn:

Always...24/7

The Glock only comes out of the holster for 3 reasons.

to take out bad guy
    to shoot at range
    to clean

All 3 reasons are the only opportunity for a ND, so one must be conscious of how you remove your Glock from the holster, making sure your trigger finger isn't resting on the trigger as it's being removed.

the first 2, simply aim at target and shoot.:draw:

For cleaning, the first step is to drop the magazine, then rack the slide which will eject chambered round and your ready to disassemble for cleaning. I always double check, looking thru the rear of the barrel once the slide is locked in the open position to ensure there is no round there.

Last edited:

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    <----Round in chamber when carrying, always.(Doesn't matter what brand/model gun I happen to be carrying.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    Syracuse, In
    Would you remove a round from a revolver? This is exactly the same issue. No-one I know would take a round from their DA Revolver to leave an empty chamber.

I overheard a salesman at the fort Wayne gun show trying to sell a female another model claimed it was "safer" then a Glock. I cannot believe my favorite dealer from Goshen had a salesman so uninformed. He actually stated the Glock had no safety???

The Glock has 3 safeties. They are all trigger operated and it will not fire unless the trigger is pulled to its most rearward position.

I sold my Smiths and Colts and only own Glocks now. To be in a critical situation and have to remember where and how each safety is operated could be risking your life. Pulling a pistol that will not fire could be deadly.

Yes I carry daily and always, always chambered!!
    Always Glocks!!
    Also always in a holster that covers the trigger assy.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Another thing to consider in this never-ending "journey" with firearms-- take some time/money out and get some good quality training under your belt. This will help get your mindset right, as well as build your confidence in gun-handling skills, both tactical and administrative.

It's not a lack of training, understanding of firearms or mindset. I've personally used my pistol to stop a rape back in Dallas in early 1998.

But I've also witnessed the aftermath of a 7yo child who stumbled across his father's loaded gun. Was a neighbor of ours in an apartment complex. Dad had been trained for CCW just as I had and made a mistake of placing his pistol and holster on the nightstand while he was changing clothes, and had to go to the bathroom.

What he didn't know is that his wife and son came home a few minutes later and the little one went looking for Dad.

I'm totally confident with guns in a fighting situation. It's not ME, that I'm worried about, it's the home front where only ONE little mistake can cost a life.

I was reminded by that recently with the "gun under the bed" thread.

I supposed until something happens to you personally, it's easier to see it as black or white, not gray. Kinda like an instructor (or forum posters) who's never killed someone teaching or advising someone who has.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'm totally confident with guns in a fighting situation. It's not ME, that I'm worried about, it's the home front where only ONE little mistake can cost a life.

I understand where you are coming from. I just don't think an empty chamber is the proper solution. You are walking around with a "handicapped" gun 70% of your day outside your home and away from your kids, just so that when you are home for 30% of your day, you "feel" safer.

Better solution: Carry with one in the chamber. Lock up the gun immediately when it comes out of your control (or off your person, if you will). That way the gun will be ready-to-go at anytime, and you've solved the problem of "unwarranted touching".

Don't depend on external "safeties" (ie empty chamber) to keep your weapon safe, depend on your brain/mindset/training.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Well said, I have to get over the past and learn from other's mistakes.

I much prefer to learn from other people's mistakes too. Its better than having to make the mistake myself. :D

(although I'm sure some will argue you never really "learn" until you've made the mistake yourself. . . who knows. . . .)

Agent 007

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    I think esrice is right on the money. I also carry my Glock with a round chambered, have been doing so for many years now. If the pistol is not on my side, it's in a safe. My kids are older now, but I still put it in the safe.

Some people, especially those used to DA/SA guns, are a little leery of the Glock or simliar striker-fired pistols, due to the lack of a visible safety. The Glock is very well protected against unintentional discharge, as long as the trigger is not pulled. Safety is between the ears, not a switch or button.

Here is a little something I like to share to show the internal safeties of a Glock pistol. I know it made me more comfortable in understanding my pistol's internals and protections against unintentional discharge.

Click --> Sniperworld.com Glock resource

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I think esrice is right on the money. I also carry my Glock with a round chambered, have been doing so for many years now. If the pistol is not on my side, it's in a safe. My kids are older now, but I still put it in the safe.

I guess most apprehension was back when my kids were younger, and it just became a habit.

This has been a great thread. :yesway:

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    I guess the consensus is to keep one in the chamber. Do the Fobus paddle holsters conceal the trigger guard?

Oh and thanks to all who replied!
    i like the blackhawk holster alot better...the one with the release button on the side. i had a fobus one and it left scrape marks sometimes when i pulled it out.

Truckerman79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    McCordsville, IN
    Well I went and got a Fobus Holster today at Gander Mtn in Castleton. It's comfortable for the most part and hides the trigger guard extremely well. I'm carrying at the house now with one in the tube. My wife is jealous. She wants to carry so bad!

HICKMAN said:
    This has been a great thread. :yesway:

You're welcome! :D

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    YouTube - Why you don't use a kydex paddle holster

I would avoid a Kydex paddle style watch this video to see the obviuos reason why

Well, considering it has been redesigned and strengthened, I'm not sure what your point is here? I have tried to break my Fobus in the same fashion, it's not happening with the way they're made now.

Since the early Serpas caused guns to fire while being holstered, would you discourage people from buying the new ones?

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Well, considering it has been redesigned and strengthened, I'm not sure what your point is here? I have tried to break my Fobus in the same fashion, it's not happening with the way they're made now.

Since the early Serpas caused guns to fire while being holstered, would you discourage people from buying the new ones?

Good point, How many people feel safe taking Tylenol now :twocents:
    prd_2_2_rrg_lg_ye.gif

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    Syracuse, In
    YouTube - Why you don't use a kydex paddle holster

I would avoid a Kydex paddle style watch this video to see the obviuos reason why

Sorry if you feelings were hurt. Please note that no brand was mentioned.

I saw these holsters for sale with the rivet attatchments at the gun show this weekend.

We have a redesigned President and a New make up of crooks (I meant Congress)

I am not to pleased with that either.

Better forearmed than forewarned:D

Top Bottom