• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    same thing happened to me, officer took my gun back to his car, when he gave it back to me he told me he asks everybody. so im not sure if here in hendricks im in a database or not, but the officer was polite and told me he asks because he had in fact been shot before doing a traffic stop(vest stopped it). i think if i'd been shot/shot at, i'd probably start asking too

problem being if you're stupid enough to shoot a cop, you're not going to tell him you have a gun in the car if asked. :n00b:

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I am always asked when I am pulled over (and yes, it happens a lot. More than it should.) I dont have my LTCH yet, so my answer is of course "Nope".

I wanted to comment on guns being recovered though. My guess is that the stolen guns are later sold to law abiding citizens. There was a point in time years ago where I was around certain types of people, and from what I could gather, many times the typical burglar has no interest in a gun (same with the smash and grabs on vehicles) but will of course steal them because they are valuable. Since you can sell a gun with nearly no effort, and the buyer is often compliant with the law, there you go. Have to feel bad for those who might end up buying a gun, only to have it confiscated at a later date.

gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground
    I was recently pulled over on my cycle and the first question LEO asked "do I have any weapons on me or my bike", being a girl, I thought that question was unlikely unless the LEO knew I had LTCH...but after reading this thread this questions appears to have become standard operating procedure? Anyway thanks for the posts.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Terry v. Ohio allows LE to temporarily take possession of a weapon for their own safety. Your refusal would likely place your well being in peril.

this what i figured. but gun forums are filled with hardasses who claim i surrendered my rights by handing the firearm over when asked. but what else could i do? i really want to be a fly on the windshield when some of these guys get pulled over.

Squirt239

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Personally I don't mind an officer checking to see if I'm legal. I don't have anything to hide, and if it takes an extra 5 minutes...so be it. I'm in no rush, and if I was, I'm sure whoever would understand the circumstances. You have to understand they are just doing their job. Right, wrong or indifferent, it's their job. My uncle told me a long time ago...it's not the guns he can see that bothered him when he was a LEO. It was the ones he didn't see and found later. If I get pulled over, I keep my hands on the steering wheel and let the officer know what it is, where it is and that I am legal to carry it. Typically, they will THANK YOU for being up front. LEO's don't like surprises :-) Just my 2 cents!

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Then there are the limp wristed guys who never claim to be anything but that.

Half the guys I have met you wouldn't know they were men without checking for a penis.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Why do half the men you meet have to check for their penis? :D

Because most of the city guys have be emasculated by society that they dont even know what their roles in life are.

2.5 hours of setting off fireworks and teaching my boys how to hold roman candles have been the highlight of my night.

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Personally I don't mind an officer checking to see if I'm legal. I don't have anything to hide, and if it takes an extra 5 minutes...so be it. I'm in no rush, and if I was, I'm sure whoever would understand the circumstances. You have to understand they are just doing their job. Right, wrong or indifferent, it's their job. My uncle told me a long time ago...it's not the guns he can see that bothered him when he was a LEO. It was the ones he didn't see and found later. If I get pulled over, I keep my hands on the steering wheel and let the officer know what it is, where it is and that I am legal to carry it. Typically, they will THANK YOU for being up front. LEO's don't like surprises :-) Just my 2 cents!

They sort of count on you feeling that way to side-step the restrictions on getting information they want that you don't have to provide.

It's not that I disagree with the sentiment. I don't have anything to hide either. It's that there is a transfer of power from the individual to the state when he willingly surrenders that which he is not required to give up. And to be put between the rock and the hard place of having to choose between ending up on the short **** list of a LE because he has trust issues (yeah, I'm oversimplifying a bit) or forfeiting my rights by refusal to exercise them doesn't exactly sit well with me.

Unfortunately, there isn't a good answer when the state has assumed supremacy over the individual.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Just took my father-in-law to a handgun safety class sponsored by the Columbus PD. Officer there claimed that they know if you have a LTCH when they run your name and drivers license. Never heard that one before. (Also they were very animate that you should not OC. Seems they are getting tired of all the Man with Gun calls. But that is a topic for another thread.)

Also, have several friends that are LEO. Their departments have them run all handguns serial numbers. They claim they recover quite a few stolen guns. Even from people with LTCH. These guys are not anti-gun, not jack booted thugs, and in no way want to infringe on anybodies rights. They advocate citizens carrying guns and just want to recover stolen guns.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    These guys are not anti-gun, not jack booted thugs, and in no way want to infringe on anybodies rights. They advocate citizens carrying guns and just want to recover stolen guns.

Then they should stop engaging in illegal and unreasonable seizures of firearms during traffic stops.

There is no legal basis for seizing a firearm from someone without suspicion, nor any basis for searching its serial number during a stop that is performed for the purpose of citing someone for a traffic violation.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Then they should stop engaging in illegal and unreasonable seizures of firearms during traffic stops.

There is no legal basis for seizing a firearm from someone without suspicion, nor any basis for searching its serial number during a stop that is performed for the purpose of citing someone for a traffic violation.

Its not illegal if you consent to it. I understand that most people have a hard time telling an officer "No, you can not have a look at my property", but if it means that much to you, you need to do just that. LEOs often like to pretend they have a strong authoritative power, because you are more likely to comply, especially if you are nervous. However, if you know they cant do squat, then tell them so.

Im personally conflicted with this situation. I havent received my LTCH, so I havent been put into this situation. I do have a tendency to get pulled over a lot, so I know I will. I dont have a problem with an officer wanting to check my gun, or wanting to put it out of my reach for his safety. I understand. On the other hand, I dont want to perpetuate the idea that he has that right/authority. The more people comply, the more an officer is going to believe that is his absolute right. When someone doesnt comply, the officer will be more likely to get frustrated or suspicious, since everyone else he has dealt with has complied.

Top Bottom