• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Okay, I'm going to throw my "plans" for an LEO traffic stop encounter out there. I THINK it is a good middle ground that doesn't require lying at all and hopefully won't make the LEO mad at you. I'd really appreciate the LEOs that have responded so far to let me know how you would likely respond to such an encounter.
    1) I always drive as legally as possible (yes, this means driving below the speed limit which bothers my wife and other drivers to no end). As such, I don't expect to have many encounters with LEO in my lifetime.
    2) Should I get pulled over, I will be very polite with the officer.
    3) When the officer pulls me over, I will stop my car, take the keys out of the ignition and place them on the dashboard in front of my steering wheel and keep my hands clearly visible on the steering wheel until the officer comes to my window.
    4) When the officer arrives at my window I will greet him cordially ("Good afternoon officer") immediately followed with, "Before I answer any questions I would like my lawyer present." I will respond the same to any questions asked after that (at which point I'm pretty darn sure is illegal for the officer to continue questioning me Miranda v. Arizona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia except perhaps "Name and address" which can be answered by handing him my driver's license)
    5) Should the officer ask me to do something out-of-the-ordinary (such as step out of the vehicle or request to search my vehicle) or somehow discover I have a sidearm and request I hand it to him, I will say "I do not consent to that but if that is an order I will obviously obey. Is that an order?" Again I will do my best to make sure this is not said in a confrontational manner, but a sincere matter-of-fact way. This part would be skipped if it was quite obvious that it was an order, for example if for some crazy reason he had his gun drawn on me or was yelling out commands.
    6) If he says it is an order I hand him my gun I will ask "Okay, in that case, how would you like me to hand it to you?" and then hand it to him in the manner he requests.

The side of the road is not the time I would try to argue about any of this. I would file complaints (likely in some scenarios) or seek legal action (highly unlikely unless something absolutely ridiculous happened... I'm not even close to rich) only after the fact.

I'm quite aware that this strategy means there's about zero percent chance I will "get out of" a ticket, but I hope to prevent that by doing #1 above. I do hope however, that this strategy makes the officer comfortable enough not to go crazy trying to find every little last violation possible that he can ticket (arrest?) me for.... What says ye?

Last edited:

Waynetucky10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I am in allen co and was told when they run your plate it comes up to keep your hands on the wheel as they approach because they have already been alerted and are on edge . I was stopped about a year ago as soon as he(county sheriff) came to the window I told him I had a gun he replied he already knew that and just asked where it was. never asked to see it.I did get a ticket which I deserved.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    4) When the officer arrives at my window I will greet him cordially ("Good afternoon officer") immediately followed with, "Before I answer any questions I would like my lawyer present." I will respond the same to any questions asked after that (at which point I'm pretty darn sure is illegal for the officer to continue questioning me Miranda v. Arizona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia except perhaps "Name and address" which can be answered by handing him my driver's license)

That is just really going to **** them off. Besides, your Miranda rights only apply when you are in police custody, and even then they may still ask you questions. It is your choice to not answer them. If you do answer them, it is possible that your responses will not be allowed in court, however, by answering you would be waving your rights.

IANAL, someone correct me if I am wrong.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    That is just really going to **** them off. Besides, your Miranda rights only apply when you are in police custody, and even then they may still ask you questions. It is your choice to not answer them. If you do answer them, it is possible that your responses will not be allowed in court, however, by answering you would be waving your rights.

IANAL, someone correct me if I am wrong.[/quote

I want my lawyer on a traffic stop? The lawyer thing is way over used. Heck most people that talk the lawyer talk couldn't come up with a lawyer if their life depended on it. I have saw many at the jail digging through the yellow pages at 0300hrs.

You do not have the option of lawyers on Traffic stops. On TS's and OWI type stop's you don't have the option of dialing up a lawyer. I guess you could but I ain't talking to him and I am not waiting around before I make a decision.

People also get confused on this Miranda stuff. A cop can ask you anything he wants with our Mirandizing you. He just can't use it in his PC. But it can still be used as knowledge of what you are all about ect.

And one final though- if you get stopped and say you aren't answering any questions without your lawyer,I would almost bet you will be coming on of the car for a pat down and you will be getting a very good checkout. That is the type behavior that raises suspicions because it is weird.

But whatever you think you wanna do....it don't matter much to me one way or the other.

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    And one final though- if you get stopped and say you aren't answering any questions without your lawyer,I would almost bet you will be coming on of the car for a pat down and you will be getting a very good checkout. That is the type behavior that raises suspicions because it is weird.

But whatever you think you wanna do....it don't matter much to me one way or the other.

In that case, what would be the best way to not raise suspicion (or at least raise the least amount of suspicion) but still retain my rights to not answer any questions I'm not legally required to? Is there really no way for a citizen to uphold their rights without being suspicious? That is really disappointing...

TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    I've been pulled over a couple times in Avon, and they have never asked me that kind of question. I suppose though, if it comes up when they run your DL, then I wouldn't try to risk getting asked to step out of the car and patted down, and have my car searched. I would feel more comfortable just saying "yes, I do have a handgun, it is in my glovebox, you're more than welcome to look at it, how would you like it handed to you?" and just moving on.

I keep seeing people say that their handguns are brought back to them empty???

What are the rules on keeping it loaded in a vehicle? Last I checked, you had to keep the magazine separate from the hand gun?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    What are the rules on keeping it loaded in a vehicle? Last I checked, you had to keep the magazine separate from the hand gun?

Loaded is fine. I never recall anything about keeping them unloaded or separated.

*after you get the LTCH and can legally transport in any manner, of course*

Last edited:

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    In that case, what would be the best way to not raise suspicion (or at least raise the least amount of suspicion) but still retain my rights to not answer any questions I'm not legally required to? Is there really no way for a citizen to uphold their rights without being suspicious? That is really disappointing...

If you have nothing to hide I suggest just playing the game. If you have something to hide than by all means do all that lawyer stuff:twocents:

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    If you have nothing to hide I suggest just playing the game. If you have something to hide than by all means do all that lawyer stuff:twocents:

Are there any other opinions from other LEOs here? Is POLITELY informing an officer you would not like to answer any questions really going to cause a huge issue if there are no other red flags? Would you really remove all the passengers from the vehicle and search the vehicle simply because someone desired not to answer questions? What if they said, "Sir, I've had a really long day and I'd really rather not talk about anything right now." Even then?

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

IANAL, someone correct me if I am wrong.[/quote

I want my lawyer on a traffic stop? The lawyer thing is way over used. Heck most people that talk the lawyer talk couldn't come up with a lawyer if their life depended on it. I have saw many at the jail digging through the yellow pages at 0300hrs.

You do not have the option of lawyers on Traffic stops. On TS's and OWI type stop's you don't have the option of dialing up a lawyer. I guess you could but I ain't talking to him and I am not waiting around before I make a decision.

People also get confused on this Miranda stuff. A cop can ask you anything he wants with our Mirandizing you. He just can't use it in his PC. But it can still be used as knowledge of what you are all about ect.

Feel free. SOME of us DO have an attorney (he hates when I call him a lawyer) already. And though I may not have the right to have him present at a traffic stop, which you seem to think we have claimed when we haven't (typical, I suppose), I do have the right to not answer questions without him present. In fact, I have the right to not answer questions at all.

And EVERYTHING that happens WILL be scrutinized later. So go ahead. Take one step over the line.

Just one tiny step.

Do it.

Teach me a lesson for invoking my rights.

I can use the :twocents:

You see, I learned my lesson the hard way about having nothing to hide and playing the game, 21 years ago, when I encountered a dumba@@ LEO who was either 1) a retard, or 2) intentionally putting me in the system, knowing the charge wouldn't possibly stick because it was BS.

So you can peddle your "just play the game" somewhere else.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Is there really no way for a citizen to uphold their rights without being suspicious?

According to many LEO's on this board, no.

I get so frickin' tired of hearing from cops & others in the (so-called) justice system that you shouldn't mind them infringing on your rights if you have nothing to hide.

I have nothing to hide...THAT I KNOW OF.

Therein lies the problem. The traffic law section is huge (so we've been told) & so is the criminal code. There is not one single person, anywhere, ever, who has not done something that they could get in legal trouble over, even if they didn't know it was illegal at the time.

Sorry, I'm not going to kiss anybody's a$$. I will be polite & courteous as I would be in any encounter with anyone else, but the police also have to understand that these encounters are adversarial at best. You are in the position to take away a person's freedom or finances. HOW DARE YOU GET PI$$Y if WE don't want to take a chance on giving some a$$ of a cop a reason to make our lives harder by answering irrelevent questions that we don't LEGALLY have to answer in the first place.

You justify your (IMHO, stupid) question about firearms by saying you don't know who we are or what we'll do when it won't make A LICK of difference anyway. Well, WE don't know the cop that stops us to ask these questions either. They could have just found their wife with another guy who just happened to be wearing the same type of cologne as me. Or just got chewed out by his boss for not writing enough tickets or whatever. Now he wants to make ME the example & will use an incriminating answer to do so.

You have extraordinary powers granted to you to make peoples lives miserable. I have rights ensured to me to protect against the abuse of those powers granted to you. YOU have no right to be upset if I excercise my rights.

I ask again - What the hell is the purpose of the 4th & 5th Amendments if invoking those rights will get you pulled out of your car & patted down & your vehicle searched anyway BECAUSE INVOKING YOUR RIGHTS IS WIERD BEHAVIOR?

A right unexercised is a game?

According to many LEO's here at least, yes.

TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    If no one minds my pointing out, I think the initial question has been answered multiple times now. We're pretty much down to people fighting over whether it's wrong for LEO's to ask us to get out of a car because we didn't answer a question... And that's been going on for a little while now. I'm seeing a lot of heat going back and forth, yet I see no real point to it now.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    If no one minds my pointing out, I think the initial question has been answered multiple times now. We're pretty much down to people fighting over whether it's wrong for LEO's to ask us to get out of a car because we didn't answer a question... And that's been going on for a little while now. I'm seeing a lot of heat going back and forth, yet I see no real point to it now.

You're new here, ain't ya :D

You just described many, many (did I mention many) threads here.

BTW, welcome to :ingo:

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton

I agree and I am done with this thread. One of my favorite sayings come to mind-Common sense ain't to common.

Top Bottom