• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    If your county does not have access, (which nearly half do not) they will radio in to dispatch so dispatch can call ISP and get the information along with any other outstanding warrants from other States/Counties. However, there are federal grants in the works to outfit all agencies with the same setup on their MDT's as the ISP including ID scanners, mobile tixprint machines and quicker access to NCIC. But with all this fun stuff still comes the problem that MDT unit's work about half the time if the officer is lucky due to the enormous problems with them program wise and the back order on repair.

If you have been pulled over with noted PC you MUST surrender your firearm if asked. (this only applies if the officer had PC, but have fun fighting that in court after you get tazed as it is all in the paperwork.) If there is PC and they keep it, than this is called a "Warrantless Seizure." This type of seizure is perfectly legal as long as the officer writes his report for you to be considered "dangerous" at that time of the stop. (Sound stupid I know, but its all in how he/she writes the report as they are a arm of the State and they're word trumps yours.) They can even keep it if they wish and force you to file for the return of a seized weapon in court. This will require a hearing and the State must present a burden of proof during the hearing as to the reason it was taken. From there civil suits can be filed if desired.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I asked the officer once why he wanted to take it back to his car, and he replied so he could check to see if it was stolen or involved in a crime.

He brought it back and I went on my way.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Also, your gun's serial number isn't stored anywhere, unless you commit a crime, or your gun is stolen. If your gun is taken, it'll be ran and checked to see if it's stolen.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    the only time your gun is recorded by the police is in a police report and that's if it's lost/stolen, taken for safe keeping, or used in a crime. Then all guns go to the property room where they are ballistics checked.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Actually it depnds when you bought it

That doesn't happen in Indiana. YOU are called in to NICS. The firearm info is recorded on the 4473, but is not transmitted in any way to "the state".
    I dont remembr when we stopped sending thm to the State Police, but we did it for the 12 years or so up untill..... Im guessing here 2003 or so. As I recall, we sent on to the State police and one to your local county sheriff

Also, this has me wondering. If a LEO asked for your weapon, would this be a good time to fire up the video cam on the cell phone and ask him if he is requiring you to do so under law?:dunno:

shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    Why did you, er your friend, surrender your, er his, weapon? Is that required? I'm just asking b/c I don't know, not tryin to be a smartalec. What did he do with it while he had it in his car and out of your sight, record serial #, check if it was stolen, seems weird to me.

I had some guns stolen from my house recently...The police told me that whenever they come across a firearm, such as during a traffic stop, they will always call in the serial number to see if the gun was stolen. It's the best way they have to find stolen guns...or so this office said, but it makes sense to me.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I had some guns stolen from my house recently...The police told me that whenever they come across a firearm, such as during a traffic stop, they will always call in the serial number to see if the gun was stolen. It's the best way they have to find stolen guns...or so this office said, but it makes sense to me.

I wonder if they're willing to take guns apart to do that. On my HiPower the serial number is on the front strap, and they'll have to take the Crimson Trace grips off in order to find it.

In addition, I wonder how many people with a LTCH are in the habit of carrying stolen handguns.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I wonder if they're willing to take guns apart to do that. On my HiPower the serial number is on the front strap, and they'll have to take the Crimson Trace grips off in order to find it.

In addition, I wonder how many people with a LTCH are in the habit of carrying stolen handguns.

You'd be surprised.

gtrlspl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    South Bend
    Ok, it's apparent that there is some database somewhere in Indiana that is providing information. I now wonder what the Trooper will be doing with the serial number of my pistol if this is one that I purchased from an individual and not from a licensed dealer who reports purchase information to the state. I wonder if that serial number will now be added to the database and thus tracked by our fine government.

The officer is most likely running the serial number through NCIC (National Crime Information Center) to make sure it wasn't stolen. I doubt they are tracking the gun.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    That's what they do, and that's how i got my two stolen guns back from the burglary at my house. Both burglars had their LTCH by the way.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    My stolen handgun was recovered 7 years ofter it was stolen when a driver was stopped for a traffic offense and the serial number was ran. He had his LTCH.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Along the same lines, is it required by law to give up the information that you do carry legally? I know some states require that you present your permit and if you have a firearm with you when you have police contact.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Something interesting happened to a friend and I wanted to see if anyone has an answer to this...during a speeding traffic stop when my friend provided his driver's license, the IN state police patrol officer asked my friend if he had a handgun in his car. He did and provided his lifetime CC permit as well as the handgun. The officer took the firearm to his patrol car and returned a few minutes later telling my friend that he could go and to reload the weapon later.

My question is this, does the state police have access to a database that identifies anyone with a carry permit?

Do a search.......... HUGE thread on this........ a lot of people in there that apparently did not know that cops sometimes ask if people have a gun in the car.......... with no prior knowledge of the person having a LTCH. They figured they asked because the officer knew that they have an LTCH..... I mean watch an episode of COPS and you will figure out that the cops ask this question all the time.......:rolleyes:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven

question for you. if you pull me over, say for speeding, and ask me directly if there are any weapons in the car, i am required to answer correct? so i say yes and present you with my LTCH. If you then ask or demand that i hand over my firearm and i refuse(say on 4A grounds) what would happen?

vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    same thing happened to me, officer took my gun back to his car, when he gave it back to me he told me he asks everybody. so im not sure if here in hendricks im in a database or not, but the officer was polite and told me he asks because he had in fact been shot before doing a traffic stop(vest stopped it). i think if i'd been shot/shot at, i'd probably start asking too

Top Bottom