• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Researching a new Spyderco pocket knife for EDC.

I know the current trend of preferred EDC by the cool kids are pocket knives that are light as possible. Probably due to brain washing by Nutnfancy :D.

But I like a knife with a little heft to it. I currently carry a Kershaw Leek (have been for years). Not the highest quality knife but I really like the feel of it. Just looking for a possible change and switch up to a higher quality knife. So I want a blade shape similar to the Military model but also want the knife to have liners. Not crazy about the leaf shaped blades like on the Native for example. I have a Centofante III that I got from Brad (very nice knife) but I'm not in love with it for EDC.

So here is the question: anyone know which Spidey models have the longer thinner blades like the Military but with liners in the handles? Blade steel is not as important to me as having liners in the handle although I'm a fan of VG-10.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    You might want to take a look at the Police model with G-10 handles.

The blade is flat-ground VG-10. It has a Mid-positioned backlock with the Boye Dent for added lock security. A 4-way clip positions the folder to carry tip-up/tip-down and left- or right-handed.

Overall Length (opened): 9.875"
    Closed length: 5.563"
    Blade length: 4.375" with 4" cutting edge.
    Weigtht: 5oz

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The Tenacious has G10 handles and steel liners.
    There is another model just like the Tenacious but with a larger blade, the Resilience.
    Might be just what you are looking for.
    Also it's just $30 or $40 I believe, cant go wrong with that.

001-15.jpg

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I picked up the Resilience at the last 1500. That thing is like a steak knife! :): If feels very good in the hand is is light, but very strong. I've not put it through much, but it definitely retains an edge very well.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I picked up the Resilience at the last 1500. That thing is like a steak knife! :): If feels very good in the hand is is light, but very strong. I've not put it through much, but it definitely retains an edge very well.

I used and carried the Tenacious for 3 years, it's just like the Resilience, same type of steel, locking mechanism and all I believe.
    It's still solid and looks brand new, no blade play or anything, after 3 years of daily use..
    I wouldn't say that 8cr13mov retains an edge very well, it's not a very hard steel but it's easy to keep sharp (if the Resilience is using the same steel).
    No problem with rust either.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I used and carried the Tenacious for 3 years, it's just like the Resilience, same type of steel, locking mechanism and all I believe.
    It's still solid and looks brand new, no blade play or anything, after 3 years of daily use..
    I wouldn't say that 8cr13mov retains an edge very well, it's not a very hard steel but it's easy to keep sharp (if the Resilience is using the same steel).
    No problem with rust either.

8cr13mov is a very hard steel, hence why it has a tendency to chip. Think chinese knock off of AUS-6.

+1 on the Police model. One of my absolute favorites, and has been a staple in the Spyderco line up for a long time now.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    The reason I suggested the G-10 Police model is because of the OP'S fondness for VG-10 and the fact that he was looking for something close in blade shape and size of the Military model. The Police model is as close as it gets IMO.
    The Tenacious and Resilience are good knives for the price, but 8cr13mov is no where close to being as good as VG-10.:twocents:

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    The reason I suggested the G-10 Police model is because of the OP'S fondness for VG-10 and the fact that he was looking for something close in blade shape and size of the Military model. The Police model is as close as it gets IMO.
    The Tenacious and Resilience are good knives for the price, but 8cr13mov is no where close to being as good as VG-10.:twocents:

I completely agree. the military actually came after someone asked sal to design a knife he would give to his kid going over seas and I believe he said he semi modeled it off of the police version :) just a few changes. and vg10 is a great steel.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County

Agreed. I have had at least 3 different times where I had to completely re profile the edge of friends knives with my wet wheel grinder due to chipping with 8cr. VG10, 154CM, S30V and many of the other common quality steels found in knives today are well worth the extra money if you plan on really using your knife.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Also, if you look around you might be able to find a Spyderco Endura 4 G10. Full flat ground VG10 blade, and stainless steel liners. I picked mine up used for around $50.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Thanks for all the information. INGO is a wealth of knowledge. I have a few models to look at now. I will post back which one I decide on.

Patrolman1981

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Richmond, In
    Para-Military 2 is a great blade. Has alittle heft to it. I have owned and used numerous Spyderco knives and it is my favorite so far. S-30-V blade and nice linered g-10 scales.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Appreciate all the input. I picked up a Endura 4 for $40. I will carry that a while and see if it works for me. If not then probably go with a Para-Military 2. I really liked the look of the Police 3 but the more I thought about it the more inclined I was to think it would just be too big for EDC.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Appreciate all the input. I picked up a Endura 4 for $40. I will carry that a while and see if it works for me. If not then probably go with a Para-Military 2. I really liked the look of the Police 3 but the more I thought about it the more inclined I was to think it would just be too big for EDC.

That's a great price. Good find.:yesway:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Here is an update. Well I have been using the Endura for about a week now. So far I'm very happy with it.

I just wish it had G10 scales instead of plastic handles (yes ok, FRN handles). I like the blade shape / length / material (VG10). I like the feel of it, its a little larger than the Kershaw I was used to carrying. Overall a big thumbs up. I think I'm going to switch to Spyderco for carry and also not collect Kershaw as much as I have in the past.

I dont buy knives off of eBay for fear of fakes. I would rather buy from a reliable credible source. In general does Spyderco have a problem with their knives being counterfeited like some other manufactures say Anza for example?

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Here is an update. Well I have been using the Endura for about a week now. So far I'm very happy with it.

I just wish it had G10 scales instead of plastic handles (yes ok, FRN handles). I like the blade shape / length / material (VG10). I like the feel of it, its a little larger than the Kershaw I was used to carrying. Overall a big thumbs up. I think I'm going to switch to Spyderco for carry and also not collect Kershaw as much as I have in the past.

I dont buy knives off of eBay for fear of fakes. I would rather buy from a reliable credible source. In general does Spyderco have a problem with their knives being counterfeited like some other manufactures say Anza for example?

There is always the possibility of a counterfeiting in the knife world. I have seen some counterfeit Spyderco knives before, it was on models that were long discontinued and have gone up in value due to the collectibility of that model. I would think it would be less likely with current models, but still possible.:twocents:

Top Bottom