• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    LOL, yeah, I'm sure you're really pro LEO ...about as much as GunnerDan.:rolleyes:

Well let's see.
    Donate to families of fallen officers, check.
    Pushed squad car of two back on road in winter, check.
    Communicate with officers in a respectful tone, check.
    Was scout leader to some of their sons, check.

You're right. I just realized it. I'm pure evil.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Jmoses:

I don't believe that Indiana cross references their LTCH and Criminals Convictions like some States do. I can give you stats from Texas though..
    For just few examples, according to txdps.state.tx.us those Licensed to Carry commit less than 0.2% of all crime, less than 0.06% of robbery, less than 0.2% assault, and less than 0.23% of murders...

So yes, statistically speaking, a LEO has some logical reason to trust an LTCH holder..

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    LOL, yeah, I'm sure you're really pro LEO ...about as much as GunnerDan.:rolleyes:

And I could be smarmy and say that you're one of the Blue Line, that believes in protecting the Blue Line from it's citizens, at all costs.
    But I'll instead assume you're not that bad.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    I don't have the inclination to go back and respond to all the responses to my responses…..

There really isn't much disagreement, methinks, on the basic issue of rights. I think we all have a generally good understanding of what those rights are. Where we seem to differ is on the need for escalation.

VUPD Blue (is that Vicennes Univ P.D.?) seems to feel it is a training opportunity. Personally, I never felt it was in my job description as "retired" to train the police department of my city. I have worked with law enforcement in my gunsmithing enterprise and we've chatted over a drink or two. But I would never call a supervisor on this particular matter. I know some of you feel strongly that you should…… Fine. That's just not me. Like I said, I choose where I want to invest my capital and I really wouldn't want to spend it here. And once I'm on my way, I've got better things to do. I'm probably going over the speed limit cuz I want to get home to my beautiful wife and darling children or get to the pub and have a brewski with my friends.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    VUPD was Vincennes Univ. back in the day. I have used that moniker for something like 15 years but I am no longer affiliated with that agency.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    How did this turn into an illegal search? From the OP, the officer placed the gun on or under the seat and decided to put the magazine in the glove box. If he were rummaging through the glove box, I understand the concern. The Hammond area is not a great area and I agree with Roll Tide. Some things were not handled in a great way but the officer was professional, the OP was let off for a lesser charge. He could have made the 14 and over stick and didn't. What I don't understand is why the OP left out the most important details in the original thread. The emptying of the gun and all was stated later.

The details regarding the return of the empty gun are in my original post, go back and read it again. The additional details provided later were my observations of how unsure he was of himself and what to do. I didn't have to seek advice on this forum or reveal publicly any details at all but I am willing to admit that some folks may understand the law and their rights better than I do. If you have something to contribute great, but at least take the time to read what I had to say first.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Nope, I think it's just pretty pathetic that people jump imediately to the "file a formal complaint" BS right from the get go. It's just a generational thing these days....people like to whine a lot

Let's say I do not file a formal complaint. Will the officer ever get the training he needs? Are you aware of recent cases involving Hammond? Judging from the officer's otherwise professional attitude, he would likely welcome the training and be more self confident in similar situations in the future. Are you suggesting I should do nothing? What service would that be to THIS community?

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Tagging for updates.

FWIW, I would lean towards the complaint line of action. *Knocking on wood*, I haven't gotten a ticket in a number of years and though I've read these threads a number of times since joining, I don't know that I would have done things any differently than you, Mark. I totally agree that it defies common sense safety to be manipulating a stranger's firearm along the side of the road for no legitimate reason and the unwarranted snatching and unloading should stop.

Just for the sake of conversation: In view of how the situation went down, other than the gun-thing, the professionalism of the officer, maybe, rather than jumping straight to formal complaint, you start of with a meeting with the officer's superior and discuss the issue while complementing him on the parts he did correctly?

I am considering requesting a meeting with the chief and the officer. Just not sure why that would motivate anyone or if they would even bother with me, but it sounds worth a try.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I do a lot of work and I get complained on from time to time. That's the life of a police officer. If I'm in the wrong then I deserve to get complained on. If this incident happened exactly as the OP stated, then a formal complaint is warranted, he was the victim of a 4th amendment search and seizure violation. As I said earlier, the complaint should be worded so as to advocate that it is directed toward the department's policy, not just the singular action of the singular officer, though the officer is ultimately responsible for his own actions, department policy or not.

I have to figure out how to go about filing this complaint. If you don't mind, I may send you a PM.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I am considering requesting a meeting with the chief and the officer. Just not sure why that would motivate anyone or if they would even bother with me, but it sounds worth a try.

VUPD later, further explained that the complaint might be worded towards the departmental policy rather than the officer. I'm just going on your description of the events when I suggest, that might be a good angle to take...especially if a meeting doesn't look like it will advance the needed change. I'm not for getting somebody in trouble that doesn't deserve it. However, if there is a practice or policy compelling poor behavior, I don't have any problem addressing that aspect.

GunnerDan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clark County Indiana

Yea thats right, I hate all police... lets see I have numerous friends and acquaintances that are in law enforcement. On the rare occasion that I have had interaction with the police I have been nice, non argumentative, and provided whatever information was needed to get the stop over with as expeditiously as possible. One morning I came outside to find a LEO sitting in his car it was about 20 degrees outside and the car was not running, I asked what was up, and he said his car died and he was waiting for someone to come. I went back in and got him a hot cup of coffee and we say there and chatted for 10 minutes. Oh and at that time I happened to be OCing and nothing was said about my gun. So yea I guess I just hate all the police because I demand they follow the law, the Constitution and should be held criminally liable when the break the law during the performance of their duties.

Gunner

Top Bottom