• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dailylc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Evansville
    File a complaint and start carrying a second gun! If things are that bad in Hammond, the officer put you in danger the minute his disarmed you. So this brings up a great question. After officer disarms you, writes ticket, returns gun unloaded and states, don't reload until I'm gone and pulls away and you are shot by a perp in the bushes, leaving you defenseless. Is there any recourse to the officer for disarming a card carrying member of the state?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    File a complaint and start carrying a second gun! If things are that bad in Hammond, the officer put you in danger the minute his disarmed you. So this brings up a great question. After officer disarms you, writes ticket, returns gun unloaded and states, don't reload until I'm gone and pulls away and you are shot by a perp in the bushes, leaving you defenseless. Is there any recourse to the officer for disarming a card carrying member of the state?
    Yes, and a meteorite could have fallen just then, while you were stopped and killed you. If the officer had allowed you to travel on your way at the increased rate, your life may have been saved.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Nope, I think it's just pretty pathetic that people jump imediately to the "file a formal complaint" BS right from the get go. It's just a generational thing these days....people like to whine a lot

I sure disagree with your viewpoint. I am 72 and do remember when most Officers meted out JUSTICE rather than the letter of the law. When I was young most Sheriffs would not even stop you if you were driving safely - albeit over the speed limit - on a clear dry day. There was no DUI offense -period, in fact when I was a young lad - no speed limit in many places. No officer would ever ask if you had a firearm in your vehicle - EVER. Many of their actions were helping people, I have seen them (years ago) tow vehicles out of the snow etc., change flat tires for ladies, and other selfless acts. Today many will arrest you for 5 mile over the limit (one in my city actually ticketed a truck driver for 1 or 2 mile over a 50 mile/hr limit last year).

No I haven't had a ticket for many years (over 30), so this isn't sour grapes. I don't think this is all the officer's fault, it has became an issue of obtaining funds via tickets, and avoiding litigation if they damaged a car while attempting to tow it out of a snowbank etc.. Our politicians have exasperated the situation by passing many laws that don't help the general public but are motivated by lobbyists. However since the police have been/are holding us to the letter of the law, I believe it is only fair that they are held to the same standard.

I sure don't like to "Whine", and am obviously of the "older" generation. If it helps put a "check" on inappropriate actions by Officers (or anyone else), I do think it is appropriate to "file a formal complaint". I don't know of any other way to maintain the freedoms we have left.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

I'm not sure why they take your gun, and assume that's the only one.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    He lied - he did not trust you.

The officer was holding my zippered pistol case in his hand while he looked me in the eye and told me "I trust you but...". The exact words that came to mind at that moment were "no you don't". But really, it's not his job to trust me, no problem there. That's really not the point. The problem is that he should have just left my property alone.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I sure disagree with your viewpoint. I am 72 and do remember when most Officers meted out JUSTICE rather than the letter of the law. When I was young most Sheriffs would not even stop you if you were driving safely - albeit over the speed limit - on a clear dry day. There was no DUI offense -period, in fact when I was a young lad - no speed limit in many places. No officer would ever ask if you had a firearm in your vehicle - EVER. Many of their actions were helping people, I have seen them (years ago) tow vehicles out of the snow etc., change flat tires for ladies, and other selfless acts. Today many will arrest you for 5 mile over the limit (one in my city actually ticketed a truck driver for 1 or 2 mile over a 50 mile/hr limit last year).

No I haven't had a ticket for many years (over 30), so this isn't sour grapes. I don't think this is all the officer's fault, it has became an issue of obtaining funds via tickets, and avoiding litigation if they damaged a car while attempting to tow it out of a snowbank etc.. Our politicians have exasperated the situation by passing many laws that don't help the general public but are motivated by lobbyists. However since the police have been/are holding us to the letter of the law, I believe it is only fair that they are held to the same standard.

I sure don't like to "Whine", and am obviously of the "older" generation. If it helps put a "check" on inappropriate actions by Officers (or anyone else), I do think it is appropriate to "file a formal complaint". I don't know of any other way to maintain the freedoms we have left.
    I sure don't think that "those were the good old days" when drunk driving wasn't enforced as strictly and judges let drunks off with lighter sentences.

Tired of Lies

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    Nashville
    The officer was holding my zippered pistol case in his hand while he looked me in the eye and told me "I trust you but...". The exact words that came to mind at that moment were "no you don't". But really, it's not his job to trust me, no problem there. That's really not the point. The problem is that he should have just left my property alone.

What you described is exactly how they act in a stop in Alaska. I was driving our truck and 16 foot trailer with building supplies from Anchorage to the Kenai Peninsula a few years ago. In maybe 6 trips twice the trailer lights went funky. Both times when I got pulled over the cop did exactly the same thing. I just reloaded as soon as he left and carried on. One time I had a bottle baby calf in the back of the truck and he wanted to see it. He had raised calves for 4-H as a kid and missed them. It seemed to relax him and we started talking...turns out at least in Alaska the drug problems are so bad they have misjudged fine upstanding citizens only to be shot at when they try to get away instead of going to jail. To be fair if the cop didn't know you... you could have been anything.

You are also supposed to tell a cop in Alaska if they approach you on foot if you are armed. Stupid if you are not up there. Our druggie neighbor spent as much time in jail as in her bus...she lived in a school bus. The cops would regularly stop at our cabin when they were looking for her and ask if we had seen her. At first they insisted on holding our weapons when approaching. After the first few times they just stopped and asked. One even asked if he could fire my husband's Glock because he was thinking of buying the same model. So my husband handed him an extra magazine and let him check it out. What is the use of having a cabin next to no where if you can't fire off in your backyard whenever you desire?

G-d, I am never going back to New York or Illinois if possible....cops there would have taken the gun and put pretty bracelets on you as a terroristic threat.

jh1978

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Valparaiso, IN
    So when the officer decided to remove your pistol from the case and start unloading it, what would have happened if it discharged? I'm assuming you would lose that pistol for a few years until ISP fully investigates and lawsuits are settled across the board. What could have possibly been going through that officer's head when he started unloading that pistol?

So from a LEO perspective, what would be the best response as a civilian? Politely request the presence of his supervisor? I'm assuming flat out non-compliance is probably a bad idea but how about challenging an unwarranted search and seizure?

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    This thread was on my mind this morning. I have a question.

Assuming that the OP wants to pursue the matter, how could he do so in the most non-threatening manner to the officer? Assume the officer is not thin-skinned and doesn't have other matters hanging over him right now.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    This thread was on my mind this morning. I have a question.

Assuming that the OP wants to pursue the matter, how could he do so in the most non-threatening manner to the officer? Assume the officer is not thin-skinned and doesn't have other matters hanging over him right now.
    Word the complaint to highlight the lack of training. Put the responsibility on the people responsible for developing policy.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Reasonable I suppose.
    There were 2 of you and I'm sure usually people get mad when they get a ticket. He probably just didn't want to get shot.
    At least he didn't completely disassemble the firearm. Could have been worse. Could have been better had he trusted you to keep it where it was but all the risk is his on that call.

If you get mad enough to even think about shooting someone over getting pulled over when you know you're speeding, turning without a signal, or some other minor driving issue, you probably shouldn't own a firearm and you probably shouldn't be allowed to drive. I'd almost go as far as saying you should probably be institutionalized so you can get your severe emotional issues taken care of properly before you kill someone over some like bumping into on accident in the grocery store.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    If you get mad enough to even think about shooting someone over getting pulled over when you know you're speeding, turning without a signal, or some other minor driving issue, you probably shouldn't own a firearm and you probably shouldn't be allowed to drive. I'd almost go as far as saying you should probably be institutionalized so you can get your severe emotional issues taken care of properly before you kill someone over some like bumping into on accident in the grocery store.

Well said. If there is something good that can be said about an LTCH, it is that the holder has already been background checked by the police. In the state's own words, I have to be a person "in good standing" to be granted an LTCH. Once I am no longer a person in good standing, I forfeit the LTCH. So unless I have committed a crime, and a minor traffic violation is not the same thing as a crime, then once I show that LTCH, there is no reason for the officer to lay hands on my gun. Once that LTCH is shown, it should send a message to the LEO that he is dealing with a good-guy, at least insofar as he needs to be concerned.

Top Bottom