• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ilitical

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    Evansville
    I refuse to be a part of his run to 50, I am out for the evening.

EPD sucks, they flashbang grandmothers and granddaughters and throw whole families out of the city zoo and go nuts over a guy riding a bicycle with a rifle on his back

This isn't about making a run to 50. I'm participating in a public forum. How boring would it be if we all viewed the world the exact same way. You are questioning authority and so am I. It's a discussion. That's the entire point.

You said you will trust the courts. What if those same courts take away your 2A rights? Still going to trust them? No, you are going to question them. It's the nature of the beast.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    As Roadie pointed out, "Richardson" is one case that says "officer safety" at face value is not a valid reason to search/sieze. Arizona v. Johnson, Michigan v. Long, Terry v. Ohio, (among others) quantify the armed AND DANGEROUS requirement for a seizure for "officer safety". The mere presence of a weapon is not a valid reason without the "dangerous" component as it relates to the person being stopped.

All armed persons are not "dangerous". If there can be no reasonable and articulable facts that support the "dangerous" portion of the Armed and Dangerous definition, then any seizure of weapons is not legal. If you want to confiscate every single weapon present during an Officer/Citizen encounter based solely upon the fact that there IS a weapon, then Game Wardens wouldn't ever, EVER, get anything done because they'd be confiscating a bajillion hunting rifles/shotguns.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    This isn't about making a run to 50. I'm participating in a public forum. How boring would it be if we all viewed the world the exact same way. You are questioning authority and so am I. It's a discussion. That's the entire point.

You said you will trust the courts. What if those same courts take away your 2A rights? Still going to trust them? No, you are going to question them. It's the nature of the beast.

Be a pretty damned good world if everyone viewed it the way I do, kickass in fact,

We would have more cops like VUPD, Denny, and Phylodog that is for sure.

ilitical

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    Evansville
    As Roadie pointed out, "Richardson" is one case that says "officer safety" at face value is not a valid reason to search/sieze. Arizona v. Johnson, Michigan v. Long, Terry v. Ohio, (among others) quantify the armed AND DANGEROUS requirement for a seizure for "officer safety". The mere presence of a weapon is not a valid reason without the "dangerous" component as it relates to the person being stopped.

All armed persons are not "dangerous". If there can be no reasonable and articulable facts that support the "dangerous" portion of the Armed and Dangerous definition, then any seizure of weapons is not legal. If you want to confiscate every single weapon present during an Officer/Citizen encounter based solely upon the fact that there IS a weapon, then Game Wardens wouldn't ever, EVER, get anything done because they'd be confiscating a bajillion hunting rifles/shotguns.

Where do the courts come in that a traffic stop is inherently dangerous? (serious question)

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

You mean to tell me that just because an officer "doesn't know you" is not enough RAS to take possession of your firearm?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    All this "officer safety" confiscation doesn't matter. He can still take possession of your firearm to check and see if it is "legally possessed."

Says so right on the LTCH you signed.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    All this "officer safety" confiscation doesn't matter. He can still take possession of your firearm to check and see if it is "legally possessed."

:dunno:

indiana-permit.jpg

Was that sarcasm, sorry, sometimes I need purple to interpret it :)

91FXRS

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    NWI

Cant seem to find that on mine. Maybe I got a special one.:scratch:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    It's my opinion that the LEO who pulled over OP was acting within his means. He can very easily site "officer safety" and run the S/N for "lost/stolen" He CAN do that. If you tell a LEO, "No, you can not run my gun for lost/stolen" you are violating your LTCH. We all signed the same paper.

If you think the LEO was outside his rights, then fine. But make sure you have his side and how he recalls it before you try and pass judgement on him. All we have is OP's recollection. That's it, and by the way the OP is worded, the LEO WAS within his rights.

As I said, If you disagree, great! If you agree, GREAT! But none of us have all the facts. This is all keyboard wrestling. I'm not trying to defend anyone.

Are you suggesting that because you have signed an LTCH and it states that "This licensee is hereby licensed by The Indiana State Police to carry on their person or in a vehicle, any handgun lawfully possessed by Licensee" that "lawfully possessed" is the phrase that mandates an officer can take possession of your firearm and run the numbers to see if it is indeed "lawfully possessed"?

If so, that is a new twist that i've never heard brought up before.

Indiana is full of grey area. and Yes that is exactly what I'm suggesting. The officer could also recommend that you are not a "proper person" and you can lose your license. Altho, that could be a whole nother thread.

:dunno:

indiana-permit.jpg

Was that sarcasm, sorry, sometimes I need purple to interpret it :)
    Follow the discussion from upthread. It's not my idea. Ask the other guy pushing this "grey area"

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    You mean to tell me that just because an officer "doesn't know you" is not enough RAS to take possession of your firearm?

Follow the discussion from upthread. It's not my idea. Ask the other guy pushing this "grey area"

You are so bad. You should know that iliterical doesn't know what invisible graple means, so unread doesn't even know what visible graple means.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom