• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ilitical

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    Evansville
    Oh my Heavens sir, you couldn't BE more wrong.

I truly respect your career field and your insight. But what makes you so sure you are correct and the LEO in question is wrong? Why is your word rhetoric and his is hog wash?

Did I miss where the LEO in question came on here and posted? If I did, please give me a post number so I can read it over. You know ONE side. ONE! and by the OP's OP, I see no where did he do wrong. Just because he opened a closed glove box, that is NOT and NEVER HAS BEEN unwarranted search. He wasn't searching for ANYTHING. Same as if you get dispatched to a run, lets say you have to clear a house. You find a mary-jane grow behind a closed door you opened to "clear" the room. Is it all going to inadmissible because you didn't have a search warrant?? Tell me it is. please.

ilitical

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    Evansville
    Are you suggesting that because you have signed an LTCH and it states that "This licensee is hereby licensed by The Indiana State Police to carry on their person or in a vehicle, any handgun lawfully possessed by Licensee" that "lawfully possessed" is the phrase that mandates an officer can take possession of your firearm and run the numbers to see if it is indeed "lawfully possessed"?

If so, that is a new twist that i've never heard brought up before.

Indiana is full of grey area. and Yes that is exactly what I'm suggesting. The officer could also recommend that you are not a "proper person" and you can lose your license. Altho, that could be a whole nother thread.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    I'm sure someone has answered this question already on this thread but do they have to ask permission to "confiscate" a firearm if a LTCH has already been shown or can they just take it?

ilitical

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    Evansville
    My most recent experience with LEO's was similar to the OP's. I was going over the speed limit by about.........67well let's just say that the State Trooper who pulled me over on 67 would've been very justified in giving me a ticket. Anyway, in my case the Trooper asked if I had any firearms in the vehicle and I confirmed that I was carrying on my hip and handed him my LTCH along with my license and registration. The Trooper politely asked if he could hold my G19 while he did his thing and after a long day of work I just wasn't in the mood to argue so I let him have it. In the end I somehow did not get a speeding ticket (although I probably should have) and the Trooper was very polite, and very professional which is why I wasn't very annoyed that he temporarily confiscated my firearm. Hell, he even complimented me on how I carried my firearm. Although I was annoyed that he cleared the chamber.

Can't call it confiscated if you willing gave it to him after he asked.

But I see your point.

I just dont know why everyone got their panties in a bunch because the LEO wanted to hold onto it. They don't know you. They are playing it on the safe side. Close to the chest. There's a good lesson in there.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I truly respect your career field and your insight. But what makes you so sure you are correct and the LEO in question is wrong? Why is your word rhetoric and his is hog wash?

Did I miss where the LEO in question came on here and posted? If I did, please give me a post number so I can read it over. You know ONE side. ONE! and by the OP's OP, I see no where did he do wrong. Just because he opened a closed glove box, that is NOT and NEVER HAS BEEN unwarranted search. He wasn't searching for ANYTHING. Same as if you get dispatched to a run, lets say you have to clear a house. You find a mary-jane grow behind a closed door you opened to "clear" the room. Is it all going to inadmissible because you didn't have a search warrant?? Tell me it is. please.

He illegally confiscated his firearm, that is a no no. If you did a little homework you would know this. If you paid attention to what VUPD was saying you might understand that.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

But I see your point.

I just dont know why everyone got their panties in a bunch because the LEO wanted to hold onto it. They don't know you. They are playing it on the safe side. Close to the chest. There's a good lesson in there.

Yeah, the lesson is called standing up for your rights against unlawful search and seizure. The officer had no RAS to confiscate the firearm but let's be real here, you could give 2 :poop: about it. You are just running to your 50. Made that very clear in your introduction thread.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

But I see your point.

So you feel that an officer has enough RAS that you present a danger to take possession of your firearm under the guise of "officer safety" simply because he doesn't know you?

ilitical

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    Evansville
    He illegally confiscated his firearm, that is a no no. If you did a little homework you would know this. If you paid attention to what VUPD was saying you might understand that.

I respectfully disagree that it is illegal. The State of Indiana has made it very clear that "Officer Safety" give LEO a wide range of things they can do/ask without Miranda.

Examples: Where are you going? Where are you coming from? Is there anything in the car I should know about? Running a weapon for Lost/Stolen, the list goes on and on.

If you chose not to notify an officer that you are armed and you are legally doing so, that's perfectly within your rights. If a LEO wants to run your weapon for Lost/Stolen is within theirs. Its the same thing as running your license plate prior to a traffic stop.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I respectfully disagree that it is illegal. The State of Indiana has made it very clear that "Officer Safety" give LEO a wide range of things they can do/ask without Miranda.

Examples: Where are you going? Where are you coming from? Is there anything in the car I should know about? Running a weapon for Lost/Stolen, the list goes on and on.

If you chose not to notify an officer that you are armed and you are legally doing so, that's perfectly within your rights. If a LEO wants to run your weapon for Lost/Stolen is within theirs. Its the same thing as running your license plate prior to a traffic stop.

You are willfully ignorant then. The fine officer in this thread has said what is required and officer safety must be accompanied by RAS. Go read everything VUPD posted, he knows of what he speaks.

You do not even have to speak to the officer pulling you over.

It is not within their rights to confiscate and run your firearms numbers, it is not even in the same ballpark as running a license plate

Only 6 more to go and you can send that PM though

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indiana is full of grey area. and Yes that is exactly what I'm suggesting. The officer could also recommend that you are not a "proper person" and you can lose your license. Altho, that could be a whole nother thread.
    So I get the feeling by the tone of your post that you have no problem with exploiting "the grey areas" I sincerely hope you are not a member of the LE community.

ilitical

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    Evansville
    Me too, he is from Evansville and we have enough bad officers here as it is.

Name the bad ones vs the good? The good out way the bad, at least in EPD. There are bad apples everywhere. In every profession. People want to slam LEO like they get paid OT for it. People never slam fire fighters or EMT's tho. You think now FF has ever taken something from a burned down house? I'm sure its happened. We'd like to believe it hasnt, but I'm they have. I get so tired of all the LEO bashing. It's ridiculous.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Name the bad ones vs the good? The good out way the bad, at least in EPD. There are bad apples everywhere. In every profession. People want to slam LEO like they get paid OT for it. People never slam fire fighters or EMT's tho. You think now FF has ever taken something from a burned down house? I'm sure its happened. We'd like to believe it hasnt, but I'm they have. I get so tired of all the LEO bashing. It's ridiculous.

I get tired of LEO bashing myself, I don't like it. This is not an LEO bashing thread and I don't want to go there. I tried to make it clear that the officer was polite, courteous and pleasant. He seemed like someone I would enjoy hanging out with for that matter. But he did make some mistakes, and they may have been honest mistakes, but they were mistakes just the same. I think that somehow, those mistakes need to be addressed without trying to get anyone in hot water. And in Hammond, I don't think he would get in hot water over it anyway.

ilitical

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    Evansville
    I get tired of LEO bashing myself, I don't like it. This is not an LEO bashing thread and I don't want to go there. I tried to make it clear that the officer was polite, courteous and pleasant. He seemed like someone I would enjoy hanging out with for that matter. But he did make some mistakes, and they may have been honest mistakes, but they were mistakes just the same. I think that somehow, those mistakes need to be addressed without trying to get anyone in hot water. And in Hammond, I don't think he would get in hot water over it anyway.

Then right on! go for it! :yesway:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

When EPD starts respecting peoples rights I might get off of their ass. You have an INDY officer here telling you what is right and wrong in a traffic stop and you are disagreeing with him about the actual law and complaining about people bashing the police. Seriously?

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu

Dang slow down. Your sprint to 50 is causing your grammar and spelling to suffer.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom