• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Also I65 is right smack dab in the middle of IMPDs jurisdiction, why couldn't they pull you over lol?
    The belief likely comes from the fact that if you call 911 on I65 they will send you to the state police who will tell you nobody is in the area... If you call and ask to be transferred to IMDP - as soon as you tell them it's on I65 they'll tell you that you need to talk to the State Police.

I have been following a drunk driver on I65 that was going from rail to rail, had run 2 people off the road, and had collided with several guardrails... State police: nobody in the area.

IMPD: Sorry, you need to talk with the state police.

It didn't matter they had already ran people off the road, were a danger to themselves and to others, and could potentially cross the median and kill people... It wasn't their 'jurisdiction' was how the dispatcher explained it to me. I know full well an IMPD officer *can* pull somebody over on the interstate but any time I felt an officer was needed (i.e. I called 911) they would never send anybody regardless of what was happening.

That said - they *can* write you a ticket if they happen to be on I65 and see you doing something illegal, but I don't believe they will get on the interstate for a 911 call unless the State Police request backup from IMPD.

Before anybody bashes me - I'm not bashing IMPD or any particular officer and I'm also not speculating. I'm speaking from direct first-hand experiences.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    MikeDVB basically explained it. we dont do much on the highway and ISP is the primary agency on the highway. we do handle calls on there if state asks us to or if we have a reason to but we dont regularly patrol the highway. we dont have enough manpower to cover our own beats sometimes, let alone go out on the interstate.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    That stretch of road is a royal pain to drive on. I guess I didnt even realize it was a 40 Mph zone, because you would normally get run over for going that slow. That is a good laugh though, how are you supposed to transport a long gun in a van or other vehicle that has no "cargo area"? I have had officers in the past attempt to tell me that this was against Indiana code, never heard it as a Fed though. I just laugh it off, and if ever stuck in that position, would make sure to let them know that I will not resist, and will peacefully let them take me in, right after I call my attorney...

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    The belief likely comes from the fact that if you call 911 on I65 they will send you to the state police who will tell you nobody is in the area... If you call and ask to be transferred to IMDP - as soon as you tell them it's on I65 they'll tell you that you need to talk to the State Police.

I have been following a drunk driver on I65 that was going from rail to rail, had run 2 people off the road, and had collided with several guardrails... State police: nobody in the area.

IMPD: Sorry, you need to talk with the state police.

It didn't matter they had already ran people off the road, were a danger to themselves and to others, and could potentially cross the median and kill people... It wasn't their 'jurisdiction' was how the dispatcher explained it to me. I know full well an IMPD officer *can* pull somebody over on the interstate but any time I felt an officer was needed (i.e. I called 911) they would never send anybody regardless of what was happening.

That said - they *can* write you a ticket if they happen to be on I65 and see you doing something illegal, but I don't believe they will get on the interstate for a 911 call unless the State Police request backup from IMPD.

Before anybody bashes me - I'm not bashing IMPD or any particular officer and I'm also not speculating. I'm speaking from direct first-hand experiences.

Should have said there was a MWAG swerving on the hwy

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Should have said there was a MWAG swerving on the hwy
    That would leave questions for me to answer once they did stop him and found no firearm, unless I was lucky and he happened to have one.

That said, I won't lie. If I call and they do nothing about it and somebody ends up dead - I'll be more than happy to be a witness in the civil trial for family of whoever it is that passes away so long as it's not the drunk driver him/herself.

I can only do so much as an ordinary citizen.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    HOW TO CALL THE POLICE
    Roger Gresse, an elderly man, from Zanesville, OH, was going up to bed, when his wife told him that he'd left the light on in the garden shed. Roger opened the back door to go turn off the light, but saw that there were people in the shed stealing things.
    He phoned the police, who asked, "Is someone in your house?"
    He said "No," but some people are breaking into my garden shed and stealing from me."
    Then the police dispatcher said. "All patrols are busy. You should lock your doors and an officer will be along when one is available."
    Roger said, "Okay."
    He hung up the phone and counted to 30.
    Then he phoned the police again.
    "Hello, I just called you a few seconds ago because there were people stealing things from my shed. Well, you don't have to worry about them now because I just shot them," and he hung up.
    Within five minutes, six police cars, a SWAT team, a helicopter, two fire trucks, a paramedic, and an ambulance showed up at the Gresse residence, and caught the burglars red-handed.
    One of the policemen said to Roger, "I thought you said that you'd shot them!"
    Roger said, "I thought you said there was nobody available!"

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    The "boy" part cracks me up. I'm going to go to my LGS and say it's a Federal Offense to have a long gun in the passenger compartment.:dunno:

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    I don't know why, but this song is rolling around in my head:

You're just about to move in, you're thinking it's a breeze
    There's a light in my eye and a guy says
    Out of the car long hair
    Oowee - You're coming with me - local police

Top Bottom