• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    I remember the countless times school food made many of my classmates sick. I am still reluctant to bite straight into chicken nuggets because of all the little pieces of bone I would find in the schools nuggets.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    But parent Miguel Medina said he thinks the "no home lunch policy" is a good one. "The school food is very healthy," he said, "and when they bring the food from home, there is no control over the food."

WTF? YOU have control over the food. YOU're the parent :n00b:...My son gets breakfast/lunch free at school. HOWEVER, if they're serving something he doesn't like, guess what? Mom takes care of making sure he has something decent to eat that he WILL eat :rolleyes:

But why bother expecting these parents to parent their own children?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    But why bother expecting these parents to parent their own children?

The state is counting on the fact that they don't/won't. Of course, it's not that different than dictating a lot things involving parental choices that some--even here on INGO--are fine with. All part of the same slippery slope, but because it doesn't harm them, they think it's perfectly okay.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I would be pretty peeved if I was a teacher, administrator, or staff at that school and I had to eat those crappy school lunches. The teachers have to eat only school approved food as well, right?

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    The state is counting on the fact that they don't/won't. Of course, it's not that different than dictating a lot things involving parental choices that some--even here on INGO--are fine with. All part of the same slippery slope, but because it doesn't harm them, they think it's perfectly okay.

Ironically, the PRI is one of the easiest states in the union in which to homeschool. Hopefully this will push a few more to make that choice.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I assume that the teachers and school staff are required to eat in the cafeteria as well? Leading by example, and for their own good, etc....

I would be pretty peeved if I was a teacher, administrator, or staff at that school and I had to eat those crappy school lunches. The teachers have to eat only school approved food as well, right?

Nah, the teachers don't have to eat it. Their union is way more powerful than the kids' union.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Ironically, the PRI is one of the easiest states in the union in which to homeschool. Hopefully this will push a few more to make that choice.

I pray so, but I don't hold out much hope for it from Chicago-based families. THe ones who care are probably already sending their kids to private schools.

Threadjack: I'm a county contact for IHEN and one of the mom's that recently contacted me for information called me up again today. She's got two friends who are transferring their children out of government schools and want to meet for a Q&A on homeschooling in Indiana. I think we're talking no less than 6 or 7 kids. People are waking up to what's happening (or not happening, as the case may be) in the government schools and realizing it's not all it's cracked up to be.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I think an activist 6th grader needs to rally a hunger strike. Counter their "think of the children" with visually available children not eating on the 6 o'clock news.

BigGuyinMuncie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Muncie
    And I quote...

"Principal Elsa Carmona said her intention is to protect students from their own unhealthful food choices."

Did you read that, CHOICES. Why not start limiting the choices and freedoms of American citizens early I guess. Starts with it at schools, next they are taking the soda and vending machines out of public places and taxing candy like they do cigarettes. It's just another way for the powers that be to exercise control. I don't think you should tell someone that they can't CHOOSE to eat junk (unless they are YOUR kid, and then they listen...or else).

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I think an activist 6th grader needs to rally a hunger strike. Counter their "think of the children" with visually available children not eating on the 6 o'clock news.

Yeah, Chicago politics is all about the activism - until you challenge the Party, that is. Don't think they lunch lady union is a-scared of busting some third-grade skulls. Sometimes you have to hit the streets and get bloody. We shall overcome.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    When I was a kid, back in the good ol' days, I hated school. I gave my mom all kinds of trouble over having to go to school. Whenever somebody asked me "why do you hate school so much"? I would answer, "it's stupid and it sucks"!...................I must have been way ahead of my time, now school IS stupid, and it DOES suck!

Mog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    And I quote...

"Principal Elsa Carmona said her intention is to protect students from their own unhealthful food choices.".

I remember the countless times school food made many of my classmates sick. I am still reluctant to bite straight into chicken nuggets because of all the little pieces of bone I would find in the schools nuggets.

So, we're protecting them from their "own unhealthful food choices" by forcing them to eat things like "chicken nuggets" made from bone and other refuse, mixed with fillers and fried. Yeah, that sounds much healthier than anything the kids might bring from home.

Soylent Green might be a more nutritious option! :(

Top Bottom