Problems with gemtech customer service? Where's my can!?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Problems with gemtech customer service? Where's my can!? *situation resolved*

Anyone else experience issues with Gem-tech's customer service?

*updating this as requested (see next page), no word back other than my one phone call after not having my voice mail returned after they posted here. I was told the person who posted in here would call me back after a meeting by a CSR, never heard anything again*

After sending my Alpine off for cleaning because I couldn't get it apart, I waited a while to verify they received it. After being bounced around over two days to multiple phone numbers and a variety of names, no one had any idea what I was talking about. Finally, I received a reply to one of my calls and they did have it and the end cap was bent, they had to wait for another from production. They said a few weeks, possibly a month or longer. After two months, I called and couldn't get a hold of anybody. I emailed Gemtech and they told me to check with the facility they mailed it to, not them... again. I got ahold of this other facility and they said they were sorry and that it would be less than a week until I received it.

After a week, I then emailed Gemtech again and requested a manager contact me or an email address for this other facility so I could start a paper trail... no response... I called and left another message today. It's been a month since I was told less than a week and can't get any responses now.

Is it just me or is this unacceptable behavior of what I thought to be a reputable company? I'm very frustrated with the way I've been treated, given no updates, rarely responded to and now it's been over three months since they received my Alpine and I can't even get in touch with someone... When I first bought this, it only took two months for the ATF to approve it. ATF is faster than Gemtech? :n00b:

Febuary 9th, 2012 Gemtech receives my Alpine
    Updates:
    -90 days of waiting, passed from one person to the next, told different things, posted this thread (the bulk of the beginning frustration was BEFORE this step)
    Most of these are several days to a week at a time. Understand, each of these minor updates I could rant on for five minutes. I have been given empty promises, then apologized to about he other empty promises and was assured each time, THIS TIME, I was being taken care of.

#1 thread posted, gemtech posted in the thread and said it was the subject of an all hands on deck meeting

#2 called gemtech as requested in their post because of a "all hands of deck meeting" about the situation and left a message

#3 no returned phone call, still no emails back from my previous request to hear from a manager

#4 called again about 6 hours later and got a live CSR. He said he was aware of the situation and was advised I would call. He appologized and
    said it would be a few weeks, but was having the guy who posted here under gemtech, I assume a manager, call me.

#5 no more phone calls back this week, no emails, haven't heard a peep. Also no response from a private message to them on facebook from before

#6 looks like it's been three weeks from my original post, still nothing. I'm emailing them again

#7 they, again, did not respond to my email (contact form), it's been 2 days / 1 business day. Calling again today

#8 I called and spoke with a supervisor today. He was very nice and assured me it was on the brink end, as the end cap was finished. Of course I've heard this before, along with hearing nothing of course. I'll give it another week before calling the president, and I told him it would be one week if I hadn't heard back.

#9 Another week went by with no contact. I called today and they refused to connect me with or put me in contact with the office where upper management resides (president, vice president, etc) and would not give me any contact information. I told them if I didn't hear back from upper management by tomorrow at noon, the ATF was getting involved.

#10 Went ahead and emailed ATF anyways, unlikely it'll do any good. And sent a Facebook message to Greg Latka, President of Gemtech. 30 minutes left until noon EST phone call I demanded. However, still ZERO responses to any calls, emails etc, the ENTIRE process. Not feeling so confident they will this time.... lol

#11 I DID receive a call back, after four months of the problem. It was after 12:00, but that's fine, I just wanted to hear from someone high up. The new CEO will be handling this personally and communicating with me one on one via cell phone. I'm adjusting these updates to blue, because I feel we are out of the red zone. Mind you, this is the FIRST time anyone has contacted me back at any point and time throughout this process, but at least I have the CEO's cell phone number. He will be calling me back this Friday with an update after he is in front of the suppressor himself and can delegate tasks.

#12 Tom, new CEO of Gemtech called today as promised. He had my suppressor in his hand and is putting it in the mail today. Getting in the green here!

#13 SITUATION RESOLVED!!!!

In the end, big -1 to Gemtech for the situation in the first place. Bigger +1 to this new CEO who had no excuses, only disgust at the way things had been going. He took care of the situation RAPIDLY after hearing about it, didn't charge me a dime for $150 in repairs with brand new baffles, sent me a brick of subsonic .22, stickers and a hat, and even returned the $20.00 bill I sent for return shipping. The end all was that there was no excuse, they should have communicated. He assured me that this sort of situation WOULD NOT happen like this to anyone again, and I wholeheartedly believe him.

While evidently and understandably frustrating, I believe the end result was an excellent one and it was a pleasure working with the CEO so quickly and professionally. I have nothing bad to say about the 'new', in my eyes, gemtech.

IMG_1130.jpg

IMG_1131.jpg

Last edited:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Stories like this would keep me from ever doing business with a company... repitable or not. These days the market in almost all products is close in price competition customer service is all you have. Its too bad to hear this about a company that otherwise is in the leader board for their product line.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I dealt with Gemtech customer service when I sent in my Outback II for the upgrade to the IId. It was a positive experience considering I was sending a class 3 item included with a copy of my form 4, but stressful nonetheless. I did find out that some of they're employees do a lot of there work offsite though.

GEMTECH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    Goodcat - you've got our apologies on any lack of communication and the time it's taken. And, if your ears were burning this afternoon, your suppressor was actually the subject at an all-hands staffmeeting to make sure we could come up with a solution to the problem.

To explain in short, we haven't made those custom-color ALPINE endcaps for a bit, and since it's bent, we can't just "fix"it -- so we had planned on just giving you a new endcap, but there's none in that color in either of our Idaho offices, so your suppressor had been directed to our Michigan facility. We're going to try to at least get you up and running with a standard color endcap, and your suppressor returned ASAP - if you want to call tomorrow, the sales staff should all be briefed to be aware of the issue and take care of it for you.

Again, sorry about the inconvenience - it's not our usual style, sounds like we owe you lunch (and your suppressor back soon!) to make up for it.

:)

GTI

lordt313

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Bonita Springs, FL
    Goodcat - you've got our apologies on any lack of communication and the time it's taken. And, if your ears were burning this afternoon, your suppressor was actually the subject at an all-hands staffmeeting to make sure we could come up with a solution to the problem.

To explain in short, we haven't made those custom-color ALPINE endcaps for a bit, and since it's bent, we can't just "fix"it -- so we had planned on just giving you a new endcap, but there's none in that color in either of our Idaho offices, so your suppressor had been directed to our Michigan facility. We're going to try to at least get you up and running with a standard color endcap, and your suppressor returned ASAP - if you want to call tomorrow, the sales staff should all be briefed to be aware of the issue and take care of it for you.

Again, sorry about the inconvenience - it's not our usual style, sounds like we owe you lunch (and your suppressor back soon!) to make up for it.

GTI

Glad to hear this is getting cleared up as im sure goodcat is too. Also happy Gemtech is taking this seriously; as the owner of a Tundra this made me really nervous when I read it a few hours ago.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis

GTI
    :rockwoot:the power of :ingo:

Goodcat

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I still haven't heard back anything myself, but I'll try calling again today as recommended by Gemtech up there.

Gemtech -
    While I'm not happy on any level with the communication and lack of response to email, I appreciate you taking the time to hop on our boards and reply. I look forward to resolution of this issue and thanks for making it right. I've edited my first post to indicate a resolution was in progress. Thank you!

Goodcat

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Don't forget the Gemtech offices are in Boise and are one MDT (-2hrs). So they posted this at 9pm and it's still only 0657 there now.

Ya, I left a message this morning and have no doubt I'll hear back this time! Ready to shoot .22 canned again, the ti rant 9 is getting expensive to run. :):

Goodcat

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Any updates?

UPDATES

Yesterday:
    0852 (0625 their time) I left a voice mail with customer service as listed on website at, as requested by Gemtech's post.

1448 (1248 their time) No one returned my voicemail so I decided to call again , maybe the VM system is down or checked later in the day. A CSR appologized for my experience, said he was a expecting my call. They have ordered a new end cap as of now, and I was told it would be a few weeks out. While I thought this was the case several months ago, I said ok and was told someone (who had posted here) would call me back after a meeting.

UPDATES

Today:
    1030 (0830 their time) Still no phone call from mystery silencer meeting guy. :): Going to Starbucks for a coffee, then hitting the range with BSURugger. Need a hair cut and shower. :laugh:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If this was the subject of an all-hands meeting, you'd think they'd be all over it. I'm surprised they never called you back.

Goodcat

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Any updates? I'm in the market for a can and the outcome of this may sway my decision.

No updates or calls back. I have a feeling it's going to be in limbo until I receive a surprise package in a few weeks...

Johnson

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Indiana
    No updates or calls back. I have a feeling it's going to be in limbo until I receive a surprise package in a few weeks...

If an "all-hands" meeting didn't even warrant a proper follow-up email, I'm not too keen on Gemtech anymore. Especially when you consider their lack of response that supposedly was the reason for the meeting. That sound you hear is me (& probably many other INGOers) scratching Gemtech off the consideration list. Too bad. A simple follow through at any point could have prevented this.

Top Bottom